All reviews pool area samara beach min walk beautiful small hotel busy road the owner enjoyed our stay three weeks rooms are large stayed here for nights howler monkeys pura vida beaches town loft cabs luis
Reviewed March 26, 2014

For those families that are researching hotels that are family friendly in the Playa Samara/Carrillo area, look no further. My family and I spend a week at Montelaguna Boutique Hotel ( March 2014) and we have to say that we couldn't have selected a better place to stay. I traveled with my parents, wife and 2 daughters.

From the moment we arrived, Janet warmly greeted us and showed us to our rooms. Giorgia, the owner, delivered on her promise to have everything ready for our arrival. My parents had a room upstairs overlooking the pool while our room with a baby crib and an extra bed for my 5 year old daughter waited for our arrival.

Giorgia, GianMario and family made us feel at home and they never missed a beat:
Needed a high chair for my 2 year old daughter for our daily breakfast by the pool - check. Needed recommendations for a family friendly tour - check (ask about mccaw tour)
Needed a light meal while relaxing by the pool - check
Needed a play area for my daughter - check (sand lot and play area on the grounds)

The hotel is minutes away from Playa Carrillo (one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen). I was originally concerned that Playa Samara would be too far away from the hotel but the trip is manageable on foot - we made several trips on foot to Samara during our stay (5 minute trip by car).

Seriously, if you are looking for a hotel that is relaxing, offers all the amenities and family friendly - stop researching and book your stay at Montelaguna Boutique Hotel. You won't regret it.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank JoseGRamirez
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We just returned from a week's stay at the Montelaguna Hotel. As others have commented, this hotel is wonderful. Our hosts, Giorgia and GianMario, run a beautiful, spotlessly clean property in a relaxed and gracious manner. The property is very well planned with 15 rooms in an L shape around a beautiful pool. Giorgia was very helpful with suggestions for activities and restaurants in the area. We found that we preferred dinner at the hotel. GianMario is chef in the evenings, and his food is great. The homemade ravioli was so good. So was the lobster linguini and roast pork and pasta with fresh Dorado and curry chicken w/ rice..... Actually, we tried almost everything and liked it all. Had the curry chicken twice! The menu changes every few days. Dinner is served open air under canvas shades. It is beautiful with lights around the garden and pool. Breakfast is basic continental with eggs made to order if wanted. I did not inquire about bacon/sausage or other protein. I'm not a big breakfast eater.

The staff at the Montelaguna is also top notch. Every afternoon Janet came in to help take care of guests. We very much enjoyed her smile and quiet attentiveness from start to finish. She made great smoothies and cocktails, served dinner, and made us all feel welcome. The kitchen staff was friendly and accommodating, and the house keepers kept our room fresh and clean - even with our very messy 19 yr. old son whose suitcase looked as though it had exploded in the room. The bathroom was spotless, and the towels were fresh everyday. It was very hot during our stay, and the ac worked very well.

The pool is absolutely gorgeous - more beautiful than in the pictures on the website. It was so relaxing to lounge around. The entire atmosphere was friendly and inviting. Guests all got to know each other around the pool. It was fun. This is a small, family friendly place. The Montelaguna is a beautiful place to stay in Samara!

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank sstagg
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Thank you Georgia for making our stay so great! You and your family are lovely and congrats on opening a lovely hotel in a great location! The room was spotless, bright, private and super comfortable! Location is perfect, easy access to two beautiful beaches. The food was great! I didn't miss a thing. Great value! I hope to see you again! Kisses!

Date of stay: February 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I were fortunate to find the newly-opened Monelaguna during the second of our recent three week vacation in Costa Rica after exploring the rain and cloud forest In Monteverde and the southern Pacific coast near Uvita and Dominical. We then settled in at the Montelaguna Boutique Hotel and quickly decided to spend the remaining 12 days of our holiday in Costa Rica there. It just made sense for a number of reasons.
First and foremost, we appreciated the relaxed, helpful and friendly presence of owners Georgia and Mario. Whether we needed advice on how to do excursions, put transportation in place for getting to the Liberia airport for our departure home to Canada, or book a reservation for a sumptuous meal at the hotel restaurant, we could always depend on Georgia and Mario. Physically, the hotel also has lots to offer. It’s tastefully constructed and furnished, with spacious rooms with comfortable, king sized beds and balconies, and a large pool with comfortable outdoor furniture and shaded areas.
The hotel’s location is a real plus, with easy, walking access to two beaches and two towns, Samara and Carillo. Samara has lots of good restaurants, a helpful information centre and spectacular sunsets. Playa Carillo is the best beach we found in Costa Rica…quiet, clean, and perfect for swimming and long walks. especially in the early mornings and late afternoons.
We’ll miss Georgia, Mario and their children. I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel for others to visit, relax and enjoy.

Room tip: You have lots of choices depending on your needs.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank lkottawa
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Beautiful new hotel in Samara just about two blocks from the beach. I was there on business with 4 other men and we had rooms that connected together. The hotel is beautiful, well designed and has a wonderful ambiance that is relaxing. Grounds, rooms, pool were all clean and well maintained. Hot water, air conditioning worked great. Sheets, towels clean and fresh. They have a breakfast buffet that had lots of fruit, some cereals, toast, two juices and coffee. Dinner was Italian with hand made Ravioli. Also had fresh fish. Beds were great. Owners were on site and served us all the time. They live there too. We will be going back there!

• Trip type: Traveled on business