“Don't stay here if you don't need to...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villas Playa Samara

Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Ottawa, Canada
“Don't stay here if you don't need to...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

No phones, TV's, shower curtains or maid service (apparently some people had a maid). Anyway we spend the last 3 days here with Monkey Tours (who should seriously cut ties with this hotel as its by far the worst of the tour). It has a nice pool, thats about it. Every single couple on our tour had complaints about their room, whether it be mold, amenities etc. Woke up like many other to the sound of construction and the view of what looked like a junk yard. You can get a better place to stay and a better location if you just stay at a hostel for 15-20$ a night.....and yes I said Hostel, and yes, It would definitely be better than this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kurtis F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Last August I decided to take a trip with my two girls to Costa Rica, by far the best we have made. We had an amazing time at Villas Playa Samara, where we stayed for a week. We enjoyed canopy, horseback riding and aquatic activities suggested and offered by the hotel to the nearby areas, they were great. The facilities and the nature were beautiful and the food and service were good. The place is excellent and well suited for a family trip. We would definitely recommend this place and hopefully be back one day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FredPlou
Park City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed here during our last 4 days of our monkey tour. No hot water or water pressure, was in a remodeled unit! We asked for a change of rooms, they would not accommodate us, kept telling us the place was full! The place had 20 guest, rooms were found dirty with no maid to clean. The place was not full. I was told the staff went on strike a couple of days we were there! Food, reception and maid service terrible! I had one woman at front desk, scowl at me every time and she ignored me most of time! I was just so shocked about the laziness of workers. Martin at pool bar was awesome, then someone else replaced him the last couple of days and he was worthless and lazy! Construction started every morning at 5:30am, right next door and they still would not move us! The pool was nice and monkey tours employees were great! For the hotel, well...I would just stay somewhere else, let that land go back to the jungle!! One couple from our tour was moved 3 times due to major issues!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lorild1

Travelers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Cheshire, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Visited this hotel from Oct 30 to Nov 2, 2013. My favorite thing about this hotel was its large and warm pool with a swim up bar. It also has great access to the beach. Unfortunately, nearly everything else about the hotel pretty much stinks. We were in the newest building and our room consisted of two queen size beds and a small area with a fridge and microwave. Our tiny porch had a table and two chairs. Not even a hammock like many of the other rooms had. Really, no phones?! How do you even reach the front desk if you need something? You can't even ask for a wake-up call, which you will need because there are no clocks either! We woke at 6:30 am each morning to the sound of construction on the building next to ours. There was a coffee pot and mugs, but no coffee. There were no hooks to hang our wet clothes to dry. There is no door on the shower stall. There are no shelves big enough to hold a suitcase and no drawers in which to put your clothes. There was a closet with a few hangers and a couple of shelves, but the doors were so narrow, I still couldn't just plop my suitcase in there. Wifi only worked in the main lobby and by the pool. The hotel has a mini mart, but it is never open. There is no shuttle into town, you have to pay for a taxi, unless you walk via the beach, in which case you have to time it with the tides. If it wasn't for the company we had while we were there, and a few excursions we took, we'd have been miserable while at this hotel. If you want to visit Costa Rica and stay in a really wonderful hotel, go to El Establo in Monteverde!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kim W
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We came to this hotel at the end of the monkey tour. I was thoroughly disappointed. The service was terrible, food and drinks were worse. The absolute worst part is that on our last day they booked a private party in the middle of the hotel that blasted music until 1230 am and we could' nt sleep. When. Asked the hotel to turn it down, we were told it was more important to cater to the private party. It was horrible. The setting is beautiful, but there are plenty of hotels in the area. I would NOT stay here. Ruined my honeymoon. The monkey tour was fun, but the last hotel was so bad, i would pick a different way to see costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank J M
Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was in Villas Playa Samara this past September and had previously visited in 2011 as well. I love Costa Rica and Playa Samara is beautiful as always. The resort and staff make you feel at home, this is the main reason I decided to go back to this hotel. It is paradise and the wildlife and scenery are amazing. We had a great time with the excursions the hotel offered. We visited once more the Chora Island which is located in front of the hotel. We had previously gone by kayak but this year be decided to go back with a group by boat. It was as beautiful as I remembered. I greatly recommend this Hotel for anyone looking for a great time, relaxation time, adventures, great friends and for an amazing little piece of paradise. I can't wait to visit once more this beautiful location and it's surroundings.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arsene
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent the last three night s at this location through Monkey Tours. I was very disappointed. There were no phones, clocks or TV's in the rooms. Although I would not. Have needed a TV (there were hookups for. One), I would have liked to have had a phone and a clock. Also we were told that they had daily happy hour when we arrived, they had it the first night, but not after that. The website advertised wireless in the room but it was not available there, if you were lucky it was available sometimes at the restaurant. There was also a strange man who seemed to be everywhere we went on the property. He appeared to be a manager and the employees seemed quite intimidated by him. He was not at all friendly, I greeted him twice, and only got a scowl, he was kind of creepy.
All in all, Samara is a beautiful location, I would go back again, but this hotel would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: Get close to the office area, many back areas are torn up.