“Excellent”

Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here with my family last Easter and it was simply magnificent. Our villa was located near the beach and it was absolutely beautiful. The food was delicious, and we received great service, especially from Luis at the bar and while in the restaurant. The employees were very kind and great to talk to. Really enjoyed the pool, restaurant, bar, and the beaches. Overall a beautiful place and I would love to go back. Would advise anyone interested in going not to make a decision based on the resort after the earthquake, but to let them make their repairs and get it back up and running to its normal state, because it is a fantastic place with great people and great surroundings.

Room Tip: choose a villa nearest to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrea R
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Andrea D, First than all we would like to thank you for your great review and for choosing our property for your Costa Rican vacations. We are really happy to know that you enjoyed our property and that Luis gave you a great service!!! We will make sure that he read your review since good comments are always of great motivation! Thank you for your support on the earthquake and we are sure that we will have a nicer property than ever!! To the pleasure of having you very soon again among us!!! Our best Regards from Sunny Samara!!!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I were planning on staying here for our honeymoon but at the VERY LAST MINUTE the hotel sent me an EMAIL stating that due to the earthquake (which was 3-4 weeks prior), they were unable to accomodate us. Instead they were sending us to their "sister" hotel which when we looked it up was more like a MOTEL 6. We had already paid the taxes and upgraded to their suite and the sister MOTEL didn't even have suites- we literally went from a 4 star resort to a "not even on the map- MOTEL." They didn't even give us any other options. The email simply told us this is what was going to happen. I immediately began attempting to call, email, send smoke signals...anything to reach someone who could actually take action and give us our refund. Our finances were already tied up and extremely tight with the wedding and all so we really needed them to release the funds from our credit card. I'm not sure how we swung it but we were able to re-arrange our honeymoon and stayed at two different lovely hotels which worked out so much better in the end. To this date, we are STILL waiting for our refund. So, we never actually stayed there, but if their communication is this bad for a potential guest, I can't imagine how it would be if we did stay there. Funny how fast they charge your card versus how slow it takes to get it back, especially when it was their responsibility to make it right.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Marina T
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Marina, Thank you for your review we are terribly sorry that you are still waiting refund with the resort we invite you to contact us directly at brissonp@villasplayasamara.com we will gladly help you resolve everything! The aftershock for any business after the earthquake of the magnitude that we had is really hard but we have been in business for more than 20 years and if their is something pending that we need to refund you we will be more than happy to solve it! Our best Regards from Samara and to the pleasure of having you in the future among us!!! Pura Vida!!!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This stay was a nightmare. We arrived late at night after traveling for 14 hours to be told that they don't have our reserved 2 bedroom villa for us. They then sent us to another villa only to be told that is not the one, then to another one, a 1 bedroom that was dirty stained rusted with sewage order infiltrating the unit, t was all they had...they claimed. The next day we waited again for our room...they played tag, other people came and checked in. Finally they gave us a two bedroom waterfront for our troubles...thought nice....deeper hell..furniture and cabinets full of mold...bathroom stink and clogged, bats, lizards and ants all other the rooms...blood on sheets furniture falling apart, appliance rusted and gross, mosquitoes the size of a butterfly. Upon my return I contacted the president of the company...who pleaded with me to not post anything on the web, to not notify the timeshare company...he will reimburse me my money. Soon thereafter he stopped corresponding via email and answering telephone. From the president of the company to the reception staff to the Manager of the property...no one was helpful. The beach was unclean with horse droppings all over it...be careful walking barefeet because you can get worms boring through your skin.

I was in touch with the president of the company via email...I have them...says he will reimburse me my stay...when it was time to reimburse he stopped answer emails and phones.

Room Tip: Rooms are Disgusting
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank RosDT

Dear RosDT, first than all we are really confussed about your review and even would like to know if you stayed at our property! IF you had such a bad experience at our resort why wait a full year to write to us? Our beach fortunately as been rated by trip advisor reviewer the NUMBER TWO BEST BEACH OF ALL CENTRAL AMERICA! It seems in your review that you have probably visited another beach since our beach is our of the cleanest in the world, everyone as giving in the past 100% good review about location I guest they must be talking about our fabulous beach that we offer to all of our guest! If you yes indeed stayed at our property we invite you to write at friends@villasplayasamara.com and we will gladly look into your case! But I am sorry to tell you that we have never had anyone stating that their is worms that will penetrate their feet on our five star beach that unfortunately we cannot accept!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

It is a smallish resort in a very quiet and peaceful location, 3km/$6 cab ride to the dusty little town of Samara. No party atmosphere at this resort. The shuttle from the Liberia airport is 2 hours. Currently renovations are underway to repair damage from the 7.6 magnitude earthquake in September 2012; by my estimation these repairs will not be completed before the end of April 2013 so the noise of construction will be occurring every day. During our stay the fitness centre and store were closed and restaurant seating was around the pool. The villas were cleaned daily to my satisfaction. The resort has only one restaurant and the food was very good but the menu was not very long. The menu did have enough variety for a weeklong stay. One reviewer said none of the villas are near the beach which is not true. Our villa was 20 feet from the beach and over half of the villas had a beach view and were within a 200 feet of the beach. Most staff could speak better English that I can speak Spanish. Occasionally I had to use my limited Spanish to make myself understood. The attentiveness of the staff meets the resorts three star rating however a couple dollar tip here and there increase the service you get substantailly . One of your daily obligations is to sign for every meal, beer and bottle of water even if you are on the all-inclusive plan. Be careful what you sign for because premium drinks are pricey and no warning is given or price list available to alert you when you have crossed the all-inclusive line. The bartender on duty during our week could not make a cocktail to save his life. No wine was available at the bar (only in the restaurant) and popular liquors such as Gin were not available. The beach lounge chairs are the white plastic type and they are brutally uncomfortable. I have little interest is hanging around the pool, but it appeared there were enough brutally uncomfortable chairs. Sunsets are magnificent and not to be missed. The beach is nearly abandoned. It was delightful to see the free running horses every morning walking along the beach and every evening eating from the resort lawns around the villas. The horses work during the day providing an opportunity to ride along the 4km long beach. Days spent on the beach watching pelicans dive for fish, iguanas digging holes in the sand, black vultures waiting for the fishermen to return and the resident hawk circling was just what I was looking for to kick back and relax. I would return to this resort for the peace and tranquility it provides and likely get a car to tour the nearby beaches to find activities that are to my liking. They live up to their three star rating is nearly every way but the food is better than that.
We took two tours with the onsite tour provider Turtle Tours. We took the nesting turtle tour and saw nada $40; we stood in the dark on the beach for an hour and a half. On our half day boat tour we saw dolphins and turtles caught no fish and the snorkeling was so-so but was a nice day on the water for $60. They could not provide scuba locally however, there is a scuba diving company in Samara ($100 for two tanks) that will pick you up on the beach in front of your villa. The day I went the visibly was no more than 20 feet, I was disappointed. However I saw my first sharks and my first rays. Hanging around town we found a couple of nice restaurants with seating in the sand, on the beach and under shade trees (El Ancla and Gusto Beach). The food at El Ancla was excellent and both restaurants could make an excellent cocktail.

Room Tip: The fitness centre and store were closed due to construction that I expect will not be finished unil...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LionFishKiller

Dear Lionfishkiller, first than all we would like to thank for taking your time to write such a complete review about our property and our location! You have describe us really well and we really appreciate your sincere appreciation about our property. We wished that all reviews would be as sincere and complete as yours that would really help future customers take their decisions to visit us! I would like to tell you that we have complete all of our gym & games room renovations at this time and that we are sorry that you were not able to experience them during your stay! We will definitely talk to our bartender and see were we can improve is cocktail making skills, we will also check with our restaurant manager since we do offer gin, you should have had access to some during your stay! We have also taken your recommendation and we are now serving wine at our bar!!! Thank you for making us see this!!! We are sorry that you had to sign all of your bills during your stay even if you were on the all inclusive package since we offer both options of stay at our resort we need to have control of everything that is served. We are working on a plan to change our beach and pool chairs we will definitely have something new for your next visit! Our best Regards from Playa Samara and to the pleasure of having you in the near future at our property!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Villas for seven days. After reading all the bad reviews I was scared to see what I would find. I have come to the conclusion that some people will not be happy with anything and will find problems wherever they go.

We had a great time and while it was not perfect, I would definitely come back. I’ll try to not only review the place, but to give some advice to anyone looking to spend time here.

We were told check–in ends at 11pm. The hotel is 2 hours away by car from Liberia Airport. If you think you will arrive after 11pm, just call the hotel before you leave home and let them know. We did, and the night security guard had everything for us (our Key, guest bracelet and a porter to take you to your room). The next morning, we just had to stop by the desk again to leave our credit card and properly check in. There is no waiting in the lobby at all. The process took about 5 mins. Same goes for leaving the Hotel. We had be at the airport at 5:30am, they hooked us up with a really nice van and driver that took us. It was very clean and confortable ride.

Our Villa was immaculate. It was huge and clean and looked like it was just renovated. I did not enter any others so I can only speak for unit 40P. The outer hammock and yard was well maintained. The kitchen had everything. The fridge looked it was brand new. The showers did not have the high level of water pressure we are used to in the States, but they were fine enough to get the job done. The ACs were quiet and worked great. The only bug we found was one little spider on the window of one bathroom. Considering the outside was like a jungle I was really impressed how bug free our experience was. Room cleaning did not come everyday though. It came every other day for us, but we didn’t really care.

We ate breakfast at the hotel everyday. It was good. $10+tax per person, all you can eat. If you
We were in the middle and to the west side of the grounds. Our walk to the beach took less than a minute. There are wild horses that live on the grounds. If you like horses they are very cool.
Make sure you talk to the guys at Monkey Tours located in the lobby. We not only did some tours with them, but they really know the town and can help you find things you need.

Pro:
Clean
Safe
Quiet
Very Private
Very nice staff
Right in front of the little island for snorkeling
Short walk to the next beach over, Carrillo beach.
Tour company located right in hotel.
Good breakfast

Con:
½ hour walk from town.
2 hours from airport.
The Store, gym and inside restaurant were not yet finished.

Conclusion: Samara is in the middle of nowhere. The little town with all the bars and restaurants is a half hour walk or $8 cab ride away. If you are looking for a Quiet, safe getaway in paradise, then this is the place. At night it was so nice to have peace and quiet and total privacy. Just be prepared to find that some of the facilities are still down, but your Villa, pool, pool bar and service will be top notch. Take the 100% adventure tour package with the Monkey tours guys too, it’s totally worth the money. Best day ever.

Room Tip: Unit 40P is brand new. Kind if the middle between beach and pool. 1 min walk to each.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Percifier
Reviewed January 26, 2013

During the holiday break my family and i stayed at Villas Playa Samara for two weeks. We picked this hotel because we had heard nice comments about it. We had a beautiful villa close to the garden and the nicest point about this hotel is that all the members of our family were together in the same place. Each villa has her own kitchen wich is very interesting. All the sraff was very nice and took care of us very well, the beach was also beautiful and spacious. Comparing to other famous all inclusive we were able to stay on the beach without beeing standing to close to other people from the resort. We also did some amazing activities with the monkey tours team that is staying directly on the site. We went to Monteverde (canopy tour), Ricon de la Viejra (adventure tour), horseback riding, fishing and kayak tour (Chora island tour)... All those activities were very interesting and it gave us the chance to see all the beautiful country of Costa Rica. Direclty on the site we also had the chance to see a bunch of monkeys, horses, lezard... , the city of Samara is also close from the resort and you can reach this place directly by the beach by walking. I had an amazing trip and i would stay there again. I recommend this place to all the people that want to explore the amazing country of Costa Rica. Pura Viva!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It willl be hard to keep this short! We booked this place for 4 nights but left a night early. The check in process was a joke. No organization. I had to flag down the golf cart guy myself. The maintenance man had to fix our lock on the bedroom and we waited 25 min for that. No one gave us a key to the safe without us having to go ask. The patio was dirty with a hammock that looked like if we sat in it, it would break. It was told to me that "the kitchen would have everything we could ever need." No oven, no rice cooker, and of the 3 burners for stove top, only 1 worked. No pans, just pots. No soap or sponge to clean them and maid service did not do it. Pool was dirty with leaves and oily. Never "clear or sparkling". The food for lunch was HORRIBLE. The food at dinner was good. Their on premises shop/gym/entertainment room closed for construction. The internet only worked midnight-5am before the staff got on it. Our ocean view villa was #8, had a nice view and was large with 2 bdrms. The seating area had uncomfortable chairs, we found ourselves eating and sitting in bed to hang out. The beds were comfy with nice sheets. The shower never drained while you were in there, so you were ankle high while in there. There are a few nice people that work, Jose and Alex and Steven. Farida was helpful in the booking process, but when I mentioned all our problems, she had nothing to say to fix it and was rude. There is nothing near by to eat at or shop for so you are stuck there. We live in Samara PT and have fam and friends visit often. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Especially if you need internet, want a clean pool, with good food and helpful service for basics.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth it, we stayed in villa 8B, which is close to pool where you can hear the music a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Romy4424
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Romy4424, I am sorry to say that it is a shame that you have to come down to such lies in order to get it your way! Our resort as always been supportive of complaints that we may have our customers are always right. But in your case it is a shame you came down to our resort in the beggining of january asking us for a great rate since your usual place that you stayed in Samara was over booked for 5 nights. You visited our property twice to make sure it was the right place for you. You negotiated us a great price since that we decided to extend to you since we gave you a rate of 139$US per night for a garden deluxe room. You then requested to have an ocean view we once again decided to help you out with no extra cost during the reservation process since we do everything posible to accomodate our guest! You visited and saw everything that we have in our kitchen in two occasions and you had no issues with anything since you decided to book. You then one day prior to arrival requested us again another special request to change your entry date by one day we once again tried our best to help you but by doing such move we had to give you another free upgrade to a two bedroom ocean view for the same price since for that next day we had no posibility on giving you a one bedroom ocean view! You did not have to check out one day before your were scheduled too you arrived one day late and it is once you were to depart that you came to use requesting a refund for your last night that you did not need anyway since you were suppose to checkout and we refuse to reimburse that last night since that would mean for us to loss the first night that you came in late and the extension night that you came to us trying to find all issues posible about the property that you did not have during your entire stay and you then threatened or staff that they give you an extra discount or a refund or you would charge your own way we now guest what you were refering to is trying to BLACKMAIL.... us with a terrible review on tripadvisor, for all the tripadvisor community! We have a brand new pool to offer you which is cristal clear! Our safe do not use key's but code, we guest our maintenance staff is not so bad I guest since we get problem solve in less than half hour! We offer free wifi thru out our property for all our guest to use! We are located at 2 kilometers from downtown Samara but we offer shuttle services or taxis to go there making not an issue but an attraction for vacationer since we offer you an almost private beach with no distraction! It is a shame their is no guestadvisor site since we could inform the ENTIRE hotelier community to not accept as a guest anywhere!!!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Samara
#5 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#3 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!