“Pura vida!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
“Pura vida!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just got back from a beautiful week in Playa Samara. We picked up this hotel as a recommendation of some friends, and it was a great choice. We were given a beautiful beach front villa where we were able to see an amazing and breathtaking sunset every afternoon. Luis and Jorge at the bar were great. They served us fresh coconuts that they had just cut down from the palm trees. We also did some amazing tours with the Monkey Tours team that is on site. We did the Chora Island tour where we kayaked to the island in front of hte hotel and snorkeled, it was beautiful. We also did the Boat safari and pottery tour where we saw a bunch of cocodriles and monkeys, the wildlife was amazing. I can't wait to go back... I already miss it... I recommend it to every one that are looking for an incredible time in paradise. Pura vida to everyone back there.

...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Bryan,

We are really happy to read your review and to see that you had a great time at our resort! We certainly hope to have you back very soon among us and I will let know all our team that you had a great time with the tours and that you enjoyed our fresh coconut's (PIPAS) like we call them!!! See you again in paradise!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013. We were surprised to see that a lot of the hotel was having reno's. The gym was not available and there was a lot going on around the front desk/kitchen area. No biggie though, we still really enjoyed our stay. We stayed in one of the beach view cabinas. It was very clean and perfect for my family and I. We just were part of the breakfast plan, which wasn't amazing but still good. The bartenders at the pool were great! Our 4 year old daughter managed to wrap Jose around her finger. He was constantly making her and her brother special drinks and "pips frias", her favorite drink! She still asks to return and visit him, haha! The beach in front of the hotel is nice and you could walk into town along the beach. Playa Carillo is nicer though.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Krista, thank you very much for your review! We are really happy to know that you and your family had a good time at our resort and that even thought we were completing our reno you were able to have a great time enjoying our property! We are really happy to read that you daughter enjoyed our PIPAS frias they are cut down directly from our palm tree in the property! I really hope that you will be able to visit us in the neat future and we recommend all our guest to visit playa carillo which is just next door to us it is great that you enjoyed it! I will let Jose know about your review that will make him really happy and we will check on the breakfast so this one can end up been great!!! Our warmest regards from Samara! Pura Vida from Samara!!!
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My partner and i have travelled to +50countries and in all our travels this has to be the worst hotel and service we have ever experienced.

My partner and i booked to stay at this hotel for four nights during Dec 2012. Upon our arrival, we were welcomed with construction and noise to boot which continued to ring loud throughout the duration of our stay. Check-in was stated as 2pm, however, we had to wait 4hours before we could get our room.

The room (pool view room) given to us was not what we paid for. This room was screamed 1star motel and worth no more than $60/night. I lodged a complaint with the front desk, who stated that they had `given away`our room (which were paying $300/night for). Hence, i asked to speak to the manager and was told she was off-site. This turned out to be a lie as she was there the entire time. Eventually we got to speak to her and she arranged for another room for the following nights.

We ended up staying in the `crappy` room for the first night and just as we thought things could get no worse......our bed broke and collapsed hitting the floor hard....the head-board ended up falling on top of us. It took them 3hours to fix and we ended up sleeping at 3am. No apolgies or customer service recieved!

There was construction happening all over the place - very unsafe with machinery and tools lying around. Staff was very un-helpful and rude. Food was terrible and the make-shift dinner was set amongst the construction. The rooms are in a bad way:
1) Our bathroom drain clogged
2) No soap was replaced during our stay
3) No phone in room
4) Poor rooom finishings - things falling apart
5) Toilet wouldnt flush

Please look at the photos and in all seriousness stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Darren R

Travelers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed from January 2nd-January 6th with my son and had a fun, relaxed and an overall great service experience.
Two of my favorite waiters were Luis, who also works as a bartender and Emanuel, they both served our daily delicious meals with outstanding care. I lived in CR in the 90's and I know good employees are hard to find in this country. Villas Playa Samara has dedicated people working for them. Carlos in the front desk attended all of our needs properly and quickly. I rate this Hotel pretty high compared to the other ones in Samara and you wont find any nicer beachfront resort in whole Guanacaste area I would say.

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront!
5 Thank julien d
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Julien d, First than all we would like to thank you for your great review and for choosing our property for your Costa Rican vacations. We are really happy to know that you enjoyed our property and that Luis, Emanuel & Carlos gave you a great service!!! We will make sure that they both read your review since good comments are always of great motivation! To the pleasure of having you very soon again among us!!! Our best Regards from Sunny Samara!!!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! What a beautiful stay for Christmas and New Year's. Upon our arrival we were a little shocked to find out that the hotel was completing some work around the pool. Jose explained to us that the hotel had just reopened its doors after the damages they suffered from a 7.6 earthquake. They accommodated us in a beautiful little house directly on the beach. We had a nice stay. The food was great and the staff attended our needs.
The place is beautiful and the wildlife amazing. We had an incredible New Year's party. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kristel S
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Kristel S,

First than all I would like to thank you for choosing our property for your Christmas vacations. We are really happy to know that you enjoyed our resort and our ocean villas. By the time that you arrived we were just completing the last details to our pool area, but we are happy that you were able to enjoy it during your trip with us! Yes did we have a great time this new year's eve!!! I am really happy that you enjoyed our food and to know that you will be coming back to visit us again. On behalf of Villas Playa Samara team I would like to say thank you to you and we hope to have you among very soon!!!
Poulsbo, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I purchased a Groupon vacation for a 4-night stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, they closed after the earthquake in September 2012 and transferred my reservations to another hotel. Groupon gave the option of a full refund, which I opted for and Groupon was very prompt to return my money. I contacted the hotel to confirm my cancelled reservation more than 30-days in advance of my reservation, and received confirmation that my reservation was successfully cancelled and I was due a refund of the tax I had paid on the reservation at the time of booking. That was in September 2012 and I still have not been issued a refund for the tax I paid. I have contacted the hotel 6 times and gotten many run-around responses about when I should see the refund, and now the hotel has stop responding altogether. Stay away from this hotel! There are plenty of others in Samara that are beautiful that have wonderful customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BrisaL
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Brisa L first than all we would like to thank you for your review, if you have any refund still pending with the resort we invite you to contact us directly at brissonp@villasplayasamara.com we will gladly help you resolve everything! The aftershock for any business after the earthquake of the magnitude that we had is really hard but we have been in business for more than 20 years and if their is something pending that we need to refund you we will be more than happy to solve it! Our best Regards from Samara and to the pleasure of having you in the future among us!!! Pura Vida!!!
Heredia, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We've come here a few times in the past thanks to a timeshare our family has... Although we always have a great time and the beach and surroundings are beautiful, I always complained about the hotel service, and the dated and worn out look of the hotel premises and equipment. In this year's visit, however, many of the rooms and public areas were renovated (I guess it was a must after last year's earthquake in the zone) Our room had updates in the bedroom furniture, finishings, kitchen equipment and bathroom, although the toilet had a hard time flushing. Other villas I visited were also updated to different degrees.

One thing we definitely did not like was that pretty much everyone in our party had skin and eye allergies after using the pool. Not sure if it was due to the work they were still doing in it (and in other public areas) but they should keep an eye on this, since it was pretty unusual and uncomfortable.

In general, it is a very nice beach, the surroundings are great and with the right company the stay is also great, but the hotel itself can certainly be better. I can't say it is terrible as other people have said, but I agree that, considering this is not the cheapest place in the area, the hotel management can do much more to ensure a better experience to their guests.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank luiskv
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Luiskv,
First than all we would like to thank you for your repeating visits to our hotel and we are glad to know that you were able to see and appreciate all the effort that we have placed into the remodeling of the property. The hotel as been in a renovation process through out this past 2012 and like you mention we did do alot of repairment after this past september earthquake but we are really happy to say that we are back in operation at the fullest with a renovated property. We will definitely have our pool checked for what you mention even we did not receive any other complaints about similar situation with other guest. With our reopening after the earthquake we had many new employee's joinning our team & we are sure that for your next visit to our property will be at your entire satisfaction and that you will experience a customer service upgrade as the upgrades that you were able to find in our units and property! Cheers from Samara!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Samara
#11 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#4 of 8 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!