“Overall Great Experience”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Overall Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! What a beautiful stay for Christmas and New Year's. Upon our arrival we were a little shocked to find out that the hotel was completing some work around the pool. Jose explained to us that the hotel had just reopened its doors after the damages they suffered from a 7.6 earthquake. They accommodated us in a beautiful little house directly on the beach. We had a nice stay. The food was great and the staff attended our needs.
The place is beautiful and the wildlife amazing. We had an incredible New Year's party. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kristel S
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Kristel S,

First than all I would like to thank you for choosing our property for your Christmas vacations. We are really happy to know that you enjoyed our resort and our ocean villas. By the time that you arrived we were just completing the last details to our pool area, but we are happy that you were able to enjoy it during your trip with us! Yes did we have a great time this new year's eve!!! I am really happy that you enjoyed our food and to know that you will be coming back to visit us again. On behalf of Villas Playa Samara team I would like to say thank you to you and we hope to have you among very soon!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Poulsbo, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I purchased a Groupon vacation for a 4-night stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, they closed after the earthquake in September 2012 and transferred my reservations to another hotel. Groupon gave the option of a full refund, which I opted for and Groupon was very prompt to return my money. I contacted the hotel to confirm my cancelled reservation more than 30-days in advance of my reservation, and received confirmation that my reservation was successfully cancelled and I was due a refund of the tax I had paid on the reservation at the time of booking. That was in September 2012 and I still have not been issued a refund for the tax I paid. I have contacted the hotel 6 times and gotten many run-around responses about when I should see the refund, and now the hotel has stop responding altogether. Stay away from this hotel! There are plenty of others in Samara that are beautiful that have wonderful customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BrisaL
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Brisa L first than all we would like to thank you for your review, if you have any refund still pending with the resort we invite you to contact us directly at brissonp@villasplayasamara.com we will gladly help you resolve everything! The aftershock for any business after the earthquake of the magnitude that we had is really hard but we have been in business for more than 20 years and if their is something pending that we need to refund you we will be more than happy to solve it! Our best Regards from Samara and to the pleasure of having you in the future among us!!! Pura Vida!!!

Travelers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Heredia, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We've come here a few times in the past thanks to a timeshare our family has... Although we always have a great time and the beach and surroundings are beautiful, I always complained about the hotel service, and the dated and worn out look of the hotel premises and equipment. In this year's visit, however, many of the rooms and public areas were renovated (I guess it was a must after last year's earthquake in the zone) Our room had updates in the bedroom furniture, finishings, kitchen equipment and bathroom, although the toilet had a hard time flushing. Other villas I visited were also updated to different degrees.

One thing we definitely did not like was that pretty much everyone in our party had skin and eye allergies after using the pool. Not sure if it was due to the work they were still doing in it (and in other public areas) but they should keep an eye on this, since it was pretty unusual and uncomfortable.

In general, it is a very nice beach, the surroundings are great and with the right company the stay is also great, but the hotel itself can certainly be better. I can't say it is terrible as other people have said, but I agree that, considering this is not the cheapest place in the area, the hotel management can do much more to ensure a better experience to their guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank luiskv
BradAnderson, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Luiskv,
First than all we would like to thank you for your repeating visits to our hotel and we are glad to know that you were able to see and appreciate all the effort that we have placed into the remodeling of the property. The hotel as been in a renovation process through out this past 2012 and like you mention we did do alot of repairment after this past september earthquake but we are really happy to say that we are back in operation at the fullest with a renovated property. We will definitely have our pool checked for what you mention even we did not receive any other complaints about similar situation with other guest. With our reopening after the earthquake we had many new employee's joinning our team & we are sure that for your next visit to our property will be at your entire satisfaction and that you will experience a customer service upgrade as the upgrades that you were able to find in our units and property! Cheers from Samara!!!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went at this hotel during the christmas holiday. The villa and the location are perfect for family vacation. Despite the fact that there were works around because of the earthquake, the ambiance was friendly. we are thinking to go back again next year!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Suzanne G
Dear Suzanne G,

First than all we would like to thank for your review to our property, we are really happy to read that you had a great time at our hotel and even we thought we were completing some construction work . We will definitely be waiting for you and your family at our resort this upcoming year and please do not hesitate in contacting us for your next vacation with us! Saludos desde Costa Rica!!!
Richmond, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family stayed here the week of Christmas, fully expecting a wonderful tropical holiday. What we encountered was everything but. We had emailed the Hotel after the initial earthquake in September and were assured that everything was in working order. We also emailed the previous week of our stay - the same. Only the day before we left for our vacation did management decide to tell us that "some of the amenities" may not be available.
We arrived to chaos. The pool was a dust bowl, with workers in various states. The walkways were dangerous, with bricks and ditches everywhere. The entertainment room, meeting rooms, and store were virtual storage rooms. The restaurant was nonexistent. The bar - what bar? We could not believe the length of lies that management went to deceive us.
Our Villa was beautiful, at first glance. While updated, the toilets never worked, our refrigerator had to be replaced, lights did not work, and many other minor issues had to be worked out. Service was completely lacking, though I believe they did try hard. For example, we went without drinks one breakfast service and without complete silverware sets at another. It was ridiculous! The maid service was laughable. They came in, made up the beds and some of the time gave us new towels and toilet paper. Most of the time we had to walk to the front desk to ask for such things and when we did we had to wait .. and wait .. and wait. And in our week long stay they came twice without it being late afternoon and us having to ask for maid service.
By the time we left the pool was in working order, though it was disgustingly white and murky looking. I learned later there was no filtration working. The bar was open, though mis-managed as well. The restaurant, though open, turned into an all out buffet that didn't offer as much as they did when they operated from an actual menu.
Like I said, everything was ridiculous! The location is beautiful and management is criminal in the way they are running this place. It could be paradise but was a living hell to stay in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Amber S
Dear Amber S, First than all I would like to apologize for all the inconvenient that you had to encounter during your stay with us. Our hotel will not fight you in any point that you mention in your review. But I would just like to say that you were previously aware of the situation of the hotel prior to your arrival and you were notified that some of the amenities would not be ready by the time of your arrival. Like you mention in your review your were able to experience during your stay the reopening of the resort and all of its amenities and I believe that the hotel agreed to compensate you for your stay with us. I gladly invite you to contact me at friends@villasplayasamara.com in order to discuss further your issues during your stay and how you recommend us that we can improve for future clients and also to invite you again to visit us in the future for you to be able to enjoy our property at the maximum. Best Regards from Sunny Samara!!!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked a two room villa using a groupon back in Feb. 2012 for a vacation on Dec. 1st. In September there was an earthquake north of there and an email went out from Groupon stating the resort was temporarily closed and our room was re-booked to another local hotel. I contacted Alonso at the original resort and was told not to worry that they would be open by Dec. 1st. Two days before we were to leave on vacation we called only to find out they were closed and they could try and find us another place in Playa Samara. I declined after checking TripAdvisor and saw terrible reviews. So on November 29th we requested a refund of the additional $492.87 paid for the upgrade and Alonso stated the refund would go through in 15 days. It is now Jan. 2nd and have yet to see the refund. I now have to work with the credit card company to file against Hotel villas playa samara. Needless to say I'm NOT happy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank 62cody
Dear Cody,

First than all we would like to apologize with you for the delay on the refund I can assure you that everything will process back to you as soon as posible I invite to right directly to this email if the amount is not credited into your account by next week brissonp@villasplayasamara.com, I would just like to mention to you that we had all the intentions on reopening the resort by december 1st like previously scheduled but with this major earthquake all details were really hard to anticipate and we had no intention in making you cancel your trip with us our to have the need to recolocate you. I would like to invite you to contact us at friends@villasplayasamara.com and we will be more than happy to find away for you to be able to enjoy our resort in the near future everything is back in order now and we are in full operation since december 24th 2012. Cheers from Samara!!!
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Terrible beach (could not use it at all). The people owning the units keep their stuff in the closets. All closets were locked and we had to keep our belongings in the suitcases. The main door lock was broken and it took them 3 days to repair it. This was supposed to be an all inclusive resort but there was no choice of food. They would cook one thing and you can have as much of it as you desire (even if you don't like it, there was no choice). The trips we took were fake. We traveled 4 hours one way to see an active volcano: the hill had lash vegetation on it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
#10 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#4 of 8 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!