“nice place, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Giada

Hotel Giada
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Reviewed December 24, 2012

hotel giada is a nice place stay, if you plan on making day trips along the nicoya coast. the staff is very friendly and helpful, they've got a nice pool and their breakfast is very yummy. the only things I considered a downside were the size of the room and the tacky decoration... I got a room on the ground floor, so it was kinda dark too, but I guess if you get a higher one, you'd be fine. Worth staying, anyways. Plus, we had dinner at their restaurant one evening and the pizza was pretty good.

Room Tip: pick one on the first floor, in the back area. you'll get more sunlight and quietness.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mmmtrippingirl
hotelgiada, Manager at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We was glad to have you here at Hotel Giada and we are glad the you enjoyed the hotel as well as the restaurant. We hope you will be back to Costa Rica as well as Hotel Giada. We hope you and your family have a very Happy Holidays.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We drove to Samara without reservations and after looking at a bunch of hotels, we chose Hotel Giada. They gave us a small room with private bath across the street from the hotel. It was very clean and comfortable. It had a double bed, desk, light, and bathroom with hot water. The location is perfect. About a one minute walk to restaurants and bars and two minute walk to the beach. You are right there! We loved Samara.

Room Tip: We were hesitant to stay across the street above a shop but it was quiet, clean, and comfortable!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tripgal926
hotelgiada, Manager at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in front of the hotel on the other side of the street, we are sorry we could not put you inside of the hotel due to we was full at the time. Thanks and we hope you will be back as well as coming back to Costa Rica.

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The food is exceptional and tremendous service to go with it. Definitely the best in Samara. Our first night was great so we went again this time the presentation was outstanding. Only suggestion i have is that they list their Restaurant seperatly on Trip advisor.As not on the Restaurant list. We will be back thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for your reply on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your dinner here at Hotel Giada. Thank you for your tip and we will check into this. We hope you will be back to Hotel Giada as well as Costa Rica.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stopped at the restaurant for lunch. We had a delightful cheese ravioli with porcini mushrooms and a typical plate. Upon viewing the rooms and factoring the low-season price, it was definitely worthwhile. This isn't a fancy-pants hotel, but it is clean, in a good location, well-staffed, and reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor, We was glad to have you here at the restaurant and that you enjoyed your lunch. We hope to see back soon. We was glad you liked the rooms here and we would be happy to have you here as a guests.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We ate here several times while we were in Samara because it was the best quality and value we could find. The red snapper was great and very reasonably priced. The pastas were also delicious. The salads were overpriced and disappointing, however.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

We was glad that you drop by and used the restaurant and that you enjoyed your meal here and we will check into the cost and taste of the salads. We thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and hope you come back soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We ate lunch here. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. 9 people 4 adults 3 teenagers and 2 younger kids. Price was reasonable for what we have seen in Samara 10-15 per meal. We had fish pasta pizza schnitzel and drinks.

Stayed: August 2012
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We was glad to hve to as a client in the restaurant here and that you enjoyed your lunch and service. We hope you will be back to Hotel Giada and as well as Costa Rica.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The above comment was given to us from our taxi driver as we were driving to Samara. We asked our taxi driver in our broken spanish if Giada was a good choice and his comment in Spanish loosley translated to, "Well it's not a Castle, but a good place"

The hotel is right at the entrance to town from the main road and easy walk to everything. You can see the beach, which is about 2 two or three blocks down the road.

Checkin was easy. Really friendly staff. A couple things, they need a signed credit card receipt that they make with a knuckle buster. So many of the newer cards don't work because the numbers aren't raised enough for the knuckle buster. You also have to trust that no one will use this blank signed receipt before it is returned to you when you leave. You are given two remotes on check in, one for your a/c and one for your TV. You have to return them when you check out. Mine had no back to them, so the batteries fell out often so everything had to be reset everytime they fell out. A/C I could do, but the TV I couldn't, I didn't have the code. This is a very small thing, just a little frustrating. Often I don't even have a tv when I travel. You have to pay $1 for a beach/pool towel and you can get new ones, just $1 every time. Again not a big deal, many places won't even let you bring a towel to the beach. Finally the key to your room they give you have REALLY big key tags with the name of the hotel and the room number on it. A couple problems with this, you can't fit the key in a pocket or small purse AND if your key gets stollen they know right where to go to clean out your room or worse. The front desk recommends you leave the key with the front desk when you go out. If you come after 10pm the security guard has a key to the front office so he can get your key for you. OK system but you need to trust that the entire staff is trustworthy because most of them have access to your room and your room safe. (there is a master key in the office to all the safes).

The rooms were clean. I had a few concerns with the room. First was safety. I am a women and was staying on my own in my room but I did have friends in another room. The bathroom window didn't have any curtains and if someone is over 5'8" then they can see you in your bathroom. I am not modest so whatever, but it seems like a strange design. The rest of the bathroom was fine and clean. The door out to the patio had wood slates that had big gaps in them. I don't even think you would need to punch the wooden slates for them to crack, probably a decent push and you could break in in a few seconds. The other problem with the gaps in the slates meant possible noise (our room was on the ground floor at the front pool and restaurant) and mosquitoes having free access into the room (no screens) With all of this my biggest concern wasn't my safety (which it really should have been) but was the mosquitoes. Those bugs just love me. I talked to the front desk about some of my concerns and they assured me it wasn't an issue. I didn't have any big problems that I couldn't solve, but I did have to get creative. If we would have stayed longer then 4 nights I would have gone and bought some duck tape and card board and covered the windows. My ceiling fan was very wobbley and made that annoying clicking noise so I could only have it on low. Often a high speed ceiling fan will keep the mosquitoes off of you at night but this wasn't possible to do becasue of the clicking noise. Like water torture in my head. I was able to use the a/c though. The only problem with this was that the a/c blows right onto you and I couldn't get it to blow up off me. There is only a thin sheet and very thing blanket. So for the first time in 7 years of traveling around Central America I slept in my PJs with pants and windbreaker on, and used my sarong and towels as extra blankets. this way I only would get a few bites at night on my face because the rest of me was covered. The noise from outside was never a problem though. For two of the nights the hotel was full and still noise was not a problem. I was happily suprised. I agree with another review that the beds were not very comfortable and pillows weren't great but it was OK.

The staff was very nice. Ron was our favorite. He went above and beyond to get us what we wanted. He was so great. The restaurant was very good and the prices were about what you would find all over Samara. Breakfast was very good. Wifi didn't work very well in the rooms. The only place I could get internet was in the restaurant. I normally don't like to go out in public with my elelctronics, like a laptop or iphone, but no other choice when we needed internet.

When we first arrived we saw the small pool at the front. Then walked by the entrance to the back pool. My first impression of the back area, from the brief glance, was it didn't look very nice in the back, but I was wrong. The back area of the hotel with the larger pool and grass area was a wonderful area to hang out and relax. You could also get some spotty internet in this part of the hotel as well.

Overall this hotel is fine, OK, but it isn't a castle :) But we didn't pay castle prices. This is a reasonably priced hotel. Next time I am in Samara I think I will try another hotel, but I would stay at Giada again. 4 nights in a row was enough for me. If I stayed for a longer time I would need to stay somewhere else. For me having mosquitoes in my room is a big problem. For others it may not be a big deal. My friends were not bothered with mosquitoes, but they never get bitten. They did have an issue with their a/c, no cold air, but it was fixed asap once they let management know.

Room Tip: They do have a two bedroom but it books up fast.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mrolfes
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

We are glad you were a client of the hotel and hope you enjoyed your stay here. On the check in the front desk will give the clients 2 choices on checking in 1st is to pay for the upon check in or open a credit card voucher for the room plus this would give the clients credit in the bar and restuartant due the voucher is lock in the safe and return to the client upon checking out and I had never had any problem with the front desk using the credit card voucher. Thank you for bring up the controls for the tv I will check into this and have cover put on or replace the controls. For the keys to the rooms yes the key ring is big and when a client goes out if they leave it at the front desk there is not a chance of losing the key and in the room there is a infomation book which states that if the room key is lost we would have to charge the clients for a new lock in order for the room to be safe. Due note we never had any problems of any staff going into the rooms and taking anything the staff here have been here for sometime now. I will check into about getting a curtains put into the bathrooms that does not have them. I will check into all the ceiling fans to make sure they work correctly. We have been wanting to change the patio door to glass with sliding door as to the room above the restuarant. Be sure that we will check into the the problems that you have here and take step to repair or replace anything to improve the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the restaurant and the hotel. We do want to thank you for your comment this way we can try to improve the hotel. We hope you will be back to Hotel Giada and Costa Rica someday.