“Fantastic price for red snapper!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Giada

Hotel Giada
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Niagara Peninsula, ON
“Fantastic price for red snapper!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We ate here several times while we were in Samara because it was the best quality and value we could find. The red snapper was great and very reasonably priced. The pastas were also delicious. The salads were overpriced and disappointing, however.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We was glad that you drop by and used the restaurant and that you enjoyed your meal here and we will check into the cost and taste of the salads. We thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Arlington
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We ate lunch here. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. 9 people 4 adults 3 teenagers and 2 younger kids. Price was reasonable for what we have seen in Samara 10-15 per meal. We had fish pasta pizza schnitzel and drinks.

Stayed August 2012
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We was glad to hve to as a client in the restaurant here and that you enjoyed your lunch and service. We hope you will be back to Hotel Giada and as well as Costa Rica.
Atlanta
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The above comment was given to us from our taxi driver as we were driving to Samara. We asked our taxi driver in our broken spanish if Giada was a good choice and his comment in Spanish loosley translated to, "Well it's not a Castle, but a good place"

The hotel is right at the entrance to town from the main road and easy walk to everything. You can see the beach, which is about 2 two or three blocks down the road.

Checkin was easy. Really friendly staff. A couple things, they need a signed credit card receipt that they make with a knuckle buster. So many of the newer cards don't work because the numbers aren't raised enough for the knuckle buster. You also have to trust that no one will use this blank signed receipt before it is returned to you when you leave. You are given two remotes on check in, one for your a/c and one for your TV. You have to return them when you check out. Mine had no back to them, so the batteries fell out often so everything had to be reset everytime they fell out. A/C I could do, but the TV I couldn't, I didn't have the code. This is a very small thing, just a little frustrating. Often I don't even have a tv when I travel. You have to pay $1 for a beach/pool towel and you can get new ones, just $1 every time. Again not a big deal, many places won't even let you bring a towel to the beach. Finally the key to your room they give you have REALLY big key tags with the name of the hotel and the room number on it. A couple problems with this, you can't fit the key in a pocket or small purse AND if your key gets stollen they know right where to go to clean out your room or worse. The front desk recommends you leave the key with the front desk when you go out. If you come after 10pm the security guard has a key to the front office so he can get your key for you. OK system but you need to trust that the entire staff is trustworthy because most of them have access to your room and your room safe. (there is a master key in the office to all the safes).

The rooms were clean. I had a few concerns with the room. First was safety. I am a women and was staying on my own in my room but I did have friends in another room. The bathroom window didn't have any curtains and if someone is over 5'8" then they can see you in your bathroom. I am not modest so whatever, but it seems like a strange design. The rest of the bathroom was fine and clean. The door out to the patio had wood slates that had big gaps in them. I don't even think you would need to punch the wooden slates for them to crack, probably a decent push and you could break in in a few seconds. The other problem with the gaps in the slates meant possible noise (our room was on the ground floor at the front pool and restaurant) and mosquitoes having free access into the room (no screens) With all of this my biggest concern wasn't my safety (which it really should have been) but was the mosquitoes. Those bugs just love me. I talked to the front desk about some of my concerns and they assured me it wasn't an issue. I didn't have any big problems that I couldn't solve, but I did have to get creative. If we would have stayed longer then 4 nights I would have gone and bought some duck tape and card board and covered the windows. My ceiling fan was very wobbley and made that annoying clicking noise so I could only have it on low. Often a high speed ceiling fan will keep the mosquitoes off of you at night but this wasn't possible to do becasue of the clicking noise. Like water torture in my head. I was able to use the a/c though. The only problem with this was that the a/c blows right onto you and I couldn't get it to blow up off me. There is only a thin sheet and very thing blanket. So for the first time in 7 years of traveling around Central America I slept in my PJs with pants and windbreaker on, and used my sarong and towels as extra blankets. this way I only would get a few bites at night on my face because the rest of me was covered. The noise from outside was never a problem though. For two of the nights the hotel was full and still noise was not a problem. I was happily suprised. I agree with another review that the beds were not very comfortable and pillows weren't great but it was OK.

The staff was very nice. Ron was our favorite. He went above and beyond to get us what we wanted. He was so great. The restaurant was very good and the prices were about what you would find all over Samara. Breakfast was very good. Wifi didn't work very well in the rooms. The only place I could get internet was in the restaurant. I normally don't like to go out in public with my elelctronics, like a laptop or iphone, but no other choice when we needed internet.

When we first arrived we saw the small pool at the front. Then walked by the entrance to the back pool. My first impression of the back area, from the brief glance, was it didn't look very nice in the back, but I was wrong. The back area of the hotel with the larger pool and grass area was a wonderful area to hang out and relax. You could also get some spotty internet in this part of the hotel as well.

Overall this hotel is fine, OK, but it isn't a castle :) But we didn't pay castle prices. This is a reasonably priced hotel. Next time I am in Samara I think I will try another hotel, but I would stay at Giada again. 4 nights in a row was enough for me. If I stayed for a longer time I would need to stay somewhere else. For me having mosquitoes in my room is a big problem. For others it may not be a big deal. My friends were not bothered with mosquitoes, but they never get bitten. They did have an issue with their a/c, no cold air, but it was fixed asap once they let management know.

Room Tip: They do have a two bedroom but it books up fast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrolfes
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
We are glad you were a client of the hotel and hope you enjoyed your stay here. On the check in the front desk will give the clients 2 choices on checking in 1st is to pay for the upon check in or open a credit card voucher for the room plus this would give the clients credit in the bar and restuartant due the voucher is lock in the safe and return to the client upon checking out and I had never had any problem with the front desk using the credit card voucher. Thank you for bring up the controls for the tv I will check into this and have cover put on or replace the controls. For the keys to the rooms yes the key ring is big and when a client goes out if they leave it at the front desk there is not a chance of losing the key and in the room there is a infomation book which states that if the room key is lost we would have to charge the clients for a new lock in order for the room to be safe. Due note we never had any problems of any staff going into the rooms and taking anything the staff here have been here for sometime now. I will check into about getting a curtains put into the bathrooms that does not have them. I will check into all the ceiling fans to make sure they work correctly. We have been wanting to change the patio door to glass with sliding door as to the room above the restuarant. Be sure that we will check into the the problems that you have here and take step to repair or replace anything to improve the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the restaurant and the hotel. We do want to thank you for your comment this way we can try to improve the hotel. We hope you will be back to Hotel Giada and Costa Rica someday.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had a very pleasant week-long stay at Hotel Giada in July 2012 while relaxing at Playa Samara.

The hotel is located on the main street in Samara and it's very convenient to restaurants, bars, a bank with an ATM, souvenir shops, a Pali (think of this like a small Wal-mart), and no more than five minutes to the beach. The Samara beach was beautiful. The water was warm and the waves were fun to swim in. The sand was nice for walking along the beach, and the coastline was very pretty with islands and trees.

I also spent time relaxing out by the pool in the hotel. This was pleasant (there were chairs and shady and sunny spots to sit), though occasionally the pool area smelled of gasoline. I wasn't sure where the smell came from; there might be a generator back there, or a road behind the hotel.

We used Interbus to travel to and from Samara, which was very nice, and within Samara we walked to everything conveniently.

Service: Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I don't speak Spanish but fortunately the hotel employees were good at English.

Food: The restaurant has seating out near the street and by the smaller pool. There were several choices for the included breakfast including a typical Costa Rica breakfast (rice and beans and fried or scrambled egg) and pancakes (pancakes with butter and syrup and a plate of fruit). Breakfast included a glass of juice and coffee. We frequently ate dinner in the hotel also. I particularly enjoyed the pizza.

Room: Our room was good. The air conditioner was effective and appreciated in the middle of the day. Our room overlooked the main street in Samara so we tended to keep the curtains closed for privacy. The room had a sliding glass door looking out on a balcony where we could have watched the main street had we wanted. Mostly when we were in the room we wanted to stay cool, though. We had a room with a twin and a double bed. The beds were comfortable.

Towels were provided for the bathroom, and beach towels were available to rent from the hotel for $1 each.

There was a notice in the room that the free wifi is not compatible with all devices, and if that if you had trouble connecting in your room you should try down in the restaurant area. We found this to be true. Connection was either not available, slow, or spotty in our room, but worked well down in the restaurant area.

I had read (in other reviews) that most hotels in Costa Rica have some amount of bugs (ants, etc) in the rooms, so I wasn't surprised by a few ants in our room here and they were not annoying. We also shared the room with a small lizard who climbed the walls. We thought the lizard was harmless and amusing. There were more mosquitoes in Samara than I experienced in San Jose, and I ended up wearing a lot of bug spray to try to avoid getting bitten. We didn't have a problem with mosquitoes inside our room, though.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sash242
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We would like to thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We was glad to have you as a client here at Hotel Giada and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself while you was on vacation. We hope you will be back to Costa Rica and Hotel Giada.
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel gives you a ticket at checkout and requests a review on tripadvisor.

The place has a good location just as you enter on the main street. Everything in Samara is walking distance. The beach is 5 minutes down the street. There is a mini super just around the corner. Best places to eat are close by.

The off season deal rate is 55 dollars. Expensive for off season rates in Costa Rica for this type of hotel. It was sold by the front desk guy as a deal which included wifi and hot water.

Well, the hot water was non existent. The ocean water was warmer than the water coming from the shower. The wifi was slow and sporadic at best. If you are going to advertise a service and charge above average prices then at least provide the services.

The bed was comfortable.

It was advertised as breakfast included. Standard tico or american style breakfast. The tico style included a scrambled egg with a coffee cup sized amount of gallo pinto, very small glass of juice and coffee. About 4 dollars at most in a local soda.

Costa Rica has the best coffee in the world. With that said I cannot figure out how you can't make a good cup of coffee. On the first morning I had the cafe con leche and it was horrible. I thought maybe it was just me. I had it again the second on day two and it was horrible. How can you make a bad cup of coffee in Costa Rica? Does anybody taste the coffee before serving? They need to go back and learn how to make coffee. The owner or somebody needs to taste their own coffee. Maybe the coffee machine needs to be cleaned or someone else needs to make the coffee. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank supaihiker
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We was glad to have you as a client here and would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. The low season rate of $55.00 for a room for 1 person has not been change in about 5 years with the room having AC, TV, Safe Box, Breakfast and Hot Water. For the hot water if you would of reported to the front desk I am sure they would of fix the problem as soon as possible. Here at Hotel Giada we always use Cafe Britt which is know world wide so I do not understand the comment on the coffee. We hope you will be back at Hotel Giada.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed there for a few nights early June and I liked it very much. Located on Samara main street with lots of restaurants to try around. A quick 2mn walk to the beach and a morning wake up by howler monkeys across the street. I saw a wonderful iguana passing by on the balcony, very cool! Staff is friendly and ready to help and rooms are clean and well kept. I would recommend it for mid-range budgets.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
We here at Hotel Giada was glad to have you as a guest and are happy that you enjoyed the hotel and we hope you will return to Costa Rica and Hotel Giada someday.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Used Hotel Restaurante Giada as my base of operations during my stay in Samara Beach. The hotel is nicely located right off the main road into town. It is close to the beach and all the activity in town. What I like the best was the restaurant. Free Wifi, great coffee, very good pizza. It was a great place to people watch, get out of the heat or rain. The staff was very nice and chill.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Hotel Giada was happy to have you as a guest here and are glad you enjoyed the hotel and the restaurante. We hope you will come back to Costa Rica and the hotel someday.