“Great hotel in Samara”
Review of Hotel Giada

Hotel Giada
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had a very pleasant week-long stay at Hotel Giada in July 2012 while relaxing at Playa Samara.

The hotel is located on the main street in Samara and it's very convenient to restaurants, bars, a bank with an ATM, souvenir shops, a Pali (think of this like a small Wal-mart), and no more than five minutes to the beach. The Samara beach was beautiful. The water was warm and the waves were fun to swim in. The sand was nice for walking along the beach, and the coastline was very pretty with islands and trees.

I also spent time relaxing out by the pool in the hotel. This was pleasant (there were chairs and shady and sunny spots to sit), though occasionally the pool area smelled of gasoline. I wasn't sure where the smell came from; there might be a generator back there, or a road behind the hotel.

We used Interbus to travel to and from Samara, which was very nice, and within Samara we walked to everything conveniently.

Service: Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I don't speak Spanish but fortunately the hotel employees were good at English.

Food: The restaurant has seating out near the street and by the smaller pool. There were several choices for the included breakfast including a typical Costa Rica breakfast (rice and beans and fried or scrambled egg) and pancakes (pancakes with butter and syrup and a plate of fruit). Breakfast included a glass of juice and coffee. We frequently ate dinner in the hotel also. I particularly enjoyed the pizza.

Room: Our room was good. The air conditioner was effective and appreciated in the middle of the day. Our room overlooked the main street in Samara so we tended to keep the curtains closed for privacy. The room had a sliding glass door looking out on a balcony where we could have watched the main street had we wanted. Mostly when we were in the room we wanted to stay cool, though. We had a room with a twin and a double bed. The beds were comfortable.

Towels were provided for the bathroom, and beach towels were available to rent from the hotel for $1 each.

There was a notice in the room that the free wifi is not compatible with all devices, and if that if you had trouble connecting in your room you should try down in the restaurant area. We found this to be true. Connection was either not available, slow, or spotty in our room, but worked well down in the restaurant area.

I had read (in other reviews) that most hotels in Costa Rica have some amount of bugs (ants, etc) in the rooms, so I wasn't surprised by a few ants in our room here and they were not annoying. We also shared the room with a small lizard who climbed the walls. We thought the lizard was harmless and amusing. There were more mosquitoes in Samara than I experienced in San Jose, and I ended up wearing a lot of bug spray to try to avoid getting bitten. We didn't have a problem with mosquitoes inside our room, though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sash242
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

We would like to thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We was glad to have you as a client here at Hotel Giada and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself while you was on vacation. We hope you will be back to Costa Rica and Hotel Giada.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel gives you a ticket at checkout and requests a review on tripadvisor.

The place has a good location just as you enter on the main street. Everything in Samara is walking distance. The beach is 5 minutes down the street. There is a mini super just around the corner. Best places to eat are close by.

The off season deal rate is 55 dollars. Expensive for off season rates in Costa Rica for this type of hotel. It was sold by the front desk guy as a deal which included wifi and hot water.

Well, the hot water was non existent. The ocean water was warmer than the water coming from the shower. The wifi was slow and sporadic at best. If you are going to advertise a service and charge above average prices then at least provide the services.

The bed was comfortable.

It was advertised as breakfast included. Standard tico or american style breakfast. The tico style included a scrambled egg with a coffee cup sized amount of gallo pinto, very small glass of juice and coffee. About 4 dollars at most in a local soda.

Costa Rica has the best coffee in the world. With that said I cannot figure out how you can't make a good cup of coffee. On the first morning I had the cafe con leche and it was horrible. I thought maybe it was just me. I had it again the second on day two and it was horrible. How can you make a bad cup of coffee in Costa Rica? Does anybody taste the coffee before serving? They need to go back and learn how to make coffee. The owner or somebody needs to taste their own coffee. Maybe the coffee machine needs to be cleaned or someone else needs to make the coffee. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank supaihiker

We was glad to have you as a client here and would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. The low season rate of $55.00 for a room for 1 person has not been change in about 5 years with the room having AC, TV, Safe Box, Breakfast and Hot Water. For the hot water if you would of reported to the front desk I am sure they would of fix the problem as soon as possible. Here at Hotel Giada we always use Cafe Britt which is know world wide so I do not understand the comment on the coffee. We hope you will be back at Hotel Giada.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed there for a few nights early June and I liked it very much. Located on Samara main street with lots of restaurants to try around. A quick 2mn walk to the beach and a morning wake up by howler monkeys across the street. I saw a wonderful iguana passing by on the balcony, very cool! Staff is friendly and ready to help and rooms are clean and well kept. I would recommend it for mid-range budgets.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
hotelgiada, Owner at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

We here at Hotel Giada was glad to have you as a guest and are happy that you enjoyed the hotel and we hope you will return to Costa Rica and Hotel Giada someday.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Used Hotel Restaurante Giada as my base of operations during my stay in Samara Beach. The hotel is nicely located right off the main road into town. It is close to the beach and all the activity in town. What I like the best was the restaurant. Free Wifi, great coffee, very good pizza. It was a great place to people watch, get out of the heat or rain. The staff was very nice and chill.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hotel Giada was happy to have you as a guest here and are glad you enjoyed the hotel and the restaurante. We hope you will come back to Costa Rica and the hotel someday.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here one night when I arrived late on a rainy night Sámara. Its the closest hotel to the bus stop in town. The hotel is pricey in the off season (May - November) and vey pricey in the peak season (December through April). Breakfast is included and is vey good. However, your money will go a lot further if you explore other options farther from the center of town, but if you must stay in the center of town this is a nice place to do it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank k c
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. Rooms are clean and good. Restaurant is terrible. We had dinner with 4 persons. 2 for there food within 10 minutes. THE other 2 had to wait more than half an hour. Personal didn't offer any compensation, they even charged too much drinks! Don't wat here, there are much better restaurants in town.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Reizen123
hotelgiada, Gerente at Hotel Giada, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

I find your comment a little strange due to one of the rules in the restaurant is that at a table everybody eat at the same time as we have communicators that we use between the pizzeria and the kitchen due to the 2 are in separate locations for this reason the communicators. Beside my partner or myself are alwaya here during rush hours. In case of any complaints the clients can request the waiters or waitress to speak with the manager or the owner, which is one and the same.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Loved the hotel, the owners are such fun guys... two italian guys. Great food, and while the rooms where not super amazing, they were very OK for what we payed and had TV,cabler, A.C. and many more facilities. We stayed for 4 nights after leaving a horrible hotel in Playa Grande beach. I also highly recommend taking tours, dolphin tours, snorkeling, horseback trips, many tour companies offer them along the street.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple