See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 26, 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed here and did not feel safe at all. We are both female and there was little to no security at all, day/night. There is a long walk up a hill with very little lighting so do not go back to the hotel after nightfall. We decided to leave after the first night. We paid a very sketchy man at the front desk (who we waited an hour for) cash for our one night and were told we wouldn't have to pay for our second night's stay because we were leaving early because we felt unsafe. My credit card was then charged for BOTH nights. I was only ever reimbursed for one night (the night I paid cash for) but not the second night. I have sent repeated emails to Expedia with no answer. I am pretty disappointed in Expedia as well because of this. Anyway, I would never stay here again nor would I recommend anyone stays here!

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Richelle L
prepayment, Manager at Condo Hotel Samara Heights, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2016

Hello Richelle L.
Sorry, but I am not sure, if you are talking about the right place. During this month of July I had no booking under the name of Richelle L. either with expedia or booking.com or whatever company. Also there was not any person, that had left after 1 night , having 2 nights booked. Nor did I never charge any guest who made a booking with expedia.
I dont know what you mean about security. There is security 24 hours a day. I live in the hotel and me and our guests, many of them for long terms ( 6 months) really feel save here.
Max

Reviewed January 10, 2016

My wife, my daughter & I stayed at the Mirador in Samara for 1 week of a 2 week vacation in December 2015. It's a grand, colonnaded apartment hotel with large 2 bedroom apartments with amazing patios overlooking the Playa Samara. The rooms were spacious, relatively cool, however sparsely furnished and equipped with fans, despite being listed as "air conditioned'. The rooms are up on the hill above the garden with the most delightful pool where we swam several times a day. Max, the owner was friendly and helpful, however be aware the mirador only takes cash or Paypal no credit card. One last niggle was the fact that the place is listed as having a restaurant, which it used to have but no longer. It was no trouble in the end however, as Samara has a range of great places for comida and bebida - particularly the amazing 'gusto beach' - all within walking distance.

Room tip: Ground floor
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2015

Took 6 people here in August 2015. Our reservations were only for 4 people, but Max hooked us up with a much bigger room so we could all stay together. He did not charge us extra to do so. The views of the Pacific Ocean are awesome! Beautiful birds and monkeys all around the hotel grounds. I will stay here again! Thanks Max!

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2015

This was the single worst travel experience of my life. If there was an option to give this hotel negative stars I would give it the lowest negative possible. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this hot mess. It is a hot spot for burglaries....the one hellish night we stayed here there was a break-in next to us and some poor Canadian's laptop was stolen. We woke up to the police outside our door...but more about the police later. Let's talk about why you should never consider, even for one tiny moment, staying here.

None of the ammenities listed exist. It makes the Motel 6 seem like the Ritz Carlton. We spent ONE night at the Mirador, a.k.a. the Horrordor, then bolted first thing in the morning. We stayed a night because we arrived at midnight and had not other alternative. The place is filthy. Soap scum so thick you can barely see the tile beneath. Hair clogging the drains. Moldy cups and kitchen appliances. Bare lightbulbs. Treacherous stairs.

3 minute walk to the beach? HAH! 3 minutes walk down the stairs to the street if you are going top speed. The safe did not work, there were no chairs in the kitchen area (eat in bed???), there was a layer of dust coating everything, and to top it all off there was a turd (of unknown origins) on the balcony. Speaking of which, the website shows gorgeous, unobstructed views. Somebody did some serious photoshop work. The view is of a sliver of ocean framed by two huge cell phone towers with blinding red lights on top. NOT what one travels to Costa Rica to see. Also, the websites show rooms that look like regular hotel rooms with towels and flowers and nice artwork. In reality the interior looks like a squatter's paradise. Just add a meth-head and the picture is complete.

Did I mention that the owner, Max, refused to refund our money (almost 2k) even though his refund policy is clearly posted as having only a one night penalty. He told us to sue him. Yep, pure class. This is not a surprise though because all one has to do is see the outside of his on-site apartment to realize that a pathetic drunk abides there. Everywhere one looked there were empty liquor bottles, garbage, and filth. His poor dog was chained up and there were fire ants crawling in its food bowl. Nice.

And one thing that you won't hear but that the locals told me is that a few years back a child drowned in the Mirardor's pool. Nobody could find the child and did not realize he had drowned because the water in the pool was so filthy and cloudy that the body could not be seen. They found the child hours after the fact.

None of this would fly in most other countries, but the police here are impotent slackers who will not do ANYTHING. I have never seem such corruption except maybe in the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas inparticular where I lived for almost 2 years.

The Ticos and Ticas of Costa Rica are amazingly warm and kind people, but unfortunately there is no consumer protection and travelers should be aware of this before visiting. Do visit Costa Rica, but be aware that the ex--pats there (like Max) are by and large there for 2 reasons: either because they are "Wanted" or because they are "Unwanted". Get it?

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank BTaylor73
prepayment, Owner at Condo Hotel Samara Heights, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2015

The dreadfull discribtion which Mrs. Taylor is inventing about my hotel is just only a result of frustration that she is unable to get back the prepayment she made for 2 weeks stay at my hotel. This money is managed by the travel agency where she made the booking and I have not received any cent.
After leaving my hotel, she wrote me an email stating that she and her partner had to leave, because of health reasons. Also she asked for the refund and I wrote her I would help her after my trip from Germany and therefor asked her to come to my hotel monday 10am. She did not come , only some days later she arrived threatening me to cal the police and give the case to a lawyer, if I don not return the payment to her right now. I told her, that I am not in the possesion of this money and gave her the phone number of the agency to claim.
Let me state that Hotel Mirador has an exceptional record for safety and security. In the 20+ years of operation, there was one incident concerning a single woman who invited men of shady character from the town for drunken parties in her apartment and one of her "guests" lifted some items. Our many repeat customers (some coming for 10 years and more), feel completely secure at Mirador because we are located off the street and up a small incline giving Mirador its famous country-like feeling while being walking distance from the town and the beach. 3 min ? 5 min ? depending on your condition. Yes there is a cell phone tower in the village which can bee seen from the balconies, but in a distance that from some parts of the hotel rooms you cannot see it at all
I dont want to enter to discuss about other shocking details she presents, like condition of the rooms,seeing an empty licor bottle makes an alcolic, dead bodies swimming in the pool, etc. Why does she see details that other guests since 15 years repeat customers dont see ?

Reviewed February 3, 2015

My wife and I stayed at Mirador in 2014, and lately in january 2015. Mirador is solidly built, has generous sized rooms, nearly 10 ft ceiling and a feeling of space and openness. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The balcony is amazingly wide and long and inviting, where we loved to have our meals, snacks and drinks while looking at mature trees and the ocean beyond.

There are not many places close to town from where there is a better view of the gorgeous Samara beach and Chora Island. The units boast green vegetation on the property comprising flower bushes and fruit trees such as coconut, mango, star fruit, guanabana and lemons that invite iguanas, colorful birds and monkeys; as well as a magnificent panoramic view of the ocean. Because the resort is somewhat elevated from the town, it has the dual advantage of enjoying rising sea breezes, and of isolating much of the noise from the town. Talk about being so close and yet being in the middle of nature!

The location of the resort is hard to beat. One can walk to the town and to Samara Beach in 5 minutes. We have stayed before at hotels where you need to drive to get even a loaf of bread or bottled water. But Mirador has the great advantage of being within walking distance of a number of grocery stores including an organic market as well as excellent restaurants, ice-cream parlors and cafes.

Because of its great features as noted above, we consider Mirador to be a great value for a vacation in the Samara Beach area. No wonder it has a number of clients who return year after year. We met one couple from Canada who have been visiting regularly for the last 10 years. Another family, also from Canada, arrived for a stay of 3 months while we were there. They have also been visiting for over 10 years.

Max, the owner of the resort, is dedicated to provide the best service. Do not hesitate to ask him or the maids about anything you need or about any activities or attractions in the area because Max has lived there with his charming family for 20 years.

Room tip: Corner apartments are large 2 bed, 2 bath units with more breeze from the ocean.
Date of stay: January 2015