“inshore fishing” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
Ocean Kayak and Snorkeling in Samara
Ranked #2 of 29 Tours in Playa Samara
More attraction details
Owner description: We are specialists in customizing your vacation for your specific interests and budget. We can organize all the details of your trip, from your arrival at the airport until the time to say goodbye. We offer activities, hotel reservations, and transportations for almost anywhere in Costa Rica. Let us take care of the bookings and logistics of your trip so that you can relax and enjoy this beautiful country! SAMARA ADVENTURE COMPANY IS A COSTA RICAN FAMILY-OWNED BUSINESS ESTABLISHED IN 2004. ALTHOUGH KNOWN AS AN OUTSTANDING TOUR OPERATOR COMPANY HEADQUARTERED IN SAMARA BEACH, IT IS WELL RENOWNED TO PROVIDE DISTINCT TRANSPORTATION SERVICES AS WELL.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“inshore fishing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We just returned from Samara Costa Rica. We used Skynet tours for three different excursions.
The first was the inshore fishing trip. We were told that it would cost $250.00 which included
fresh fruit, drinks and 4 hours of fishing. When we arrived to the boat, it was 20 ft open bow
boat. The drinks included were an open 1 liter of coca cola and a couple of canned beers.
There was no fresh fruit.... We went troll fishing and after two hours, I felt like this was a very
expensive boat ride as the two crew members hooked up the three fishing poles and left
them down in the water. We went around back and forth in the water for two hours and after no bites on the rods, I requested some bait to bottom fish. The crew members stated that they did not bring bait along for the trip! We did catch three fish trolling but it was not what we expected.
This was a VERY over priced boat ride and was far less than what was expected. Very disappointed. The crew members were nice and courteous but this was not worth $250.00.
The other two excursions were fabulous but I felt that after paying $610.00 for three tours, we
should have been partially reimbursed for the fishing excursion. The Palo Verde Tour was
fabulous and our tour guide Alberto was dynamite! Very helpful, kind, courteous and the
best guide ever! The Canopy zipline tour was excellent as well! I am rating this poor as Skynet
subcontracts some of their business to other people and they really need to know with whom
they are doing business, as to maintain a reputation so that people would want to return. We loved Costa Rica and do plan on returning, but am skeptical about booking a trip with this
company. Ronnie&Lois

Visited May 2012
davidortega, Owner at Samara Adventure Company, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hello! First, I would like to thank you for your comments; we welcome honest criticism as it helps us improve as a business. We were very disappointed to hear of your displeasure with the Inshore Fishing trip. We have taken measures to better ensure that the quality of the tour providers we work with are of the same quality as our own tours. Unfortunately, it is difficult to control every part of an operation such as ours, try as we might! I would like to point out that the Palo Verde tour is OUR tour, and you were very pleased by it, describing our guide as “the best guide ever.” We understand that your reason for rating our business as poor, but we would have hoped that given that 2 out of 3 of your tours were fabulous, you could have rated it a little more in the middle. At the time you were still in Costa Rica, we offered free surf lessons to compensate for your dissatisfaction with the Inshore Fishing, but the tides didn´t correlate well with your schedule. If you ever decide to come back to Costa Rica, we would be very happy to give you a free tour! Thank you for the kind words about our two tours, and again, we are sorry for your frustration with the other tour.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Terribly run business”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

My Partner and I wanted to book a Stand Up Paddle tour. We went into skynet tours because it was recommended to us from the local surfboard rental business. When we first walked in, none of the staff made eye contact with us for about 5 minutes, we felt ignored. We had to approach them and then we were told that they can't rent out boards as they have no waiver forms at the moment.
Great, so we left and went to another info centre, specifically because we did not want to give Skynet our business after the way we were treated. Unfortunately the company we went to, does their booking through skynet, so indirectly, we had to book through them. We were told to be out the front of Skynet tours at 8am the next morning. The staff did not turn up until around 8:15, and again ignored us until we approached them. They then continued to tell us that they told us that we were supposed to meet at 1:00pm not 8:00am. I'll admit, they did try to get the Stand up Tour tour guide to come in but he would not be able to arrive for another hour, which we could not do!
All in all, it is a terribly run business, and just across the road is another info centre with much nicer staff.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank BrigandEric
davidortega, Owner at Samara Adventure Company, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Brig and Eric,
We are glad that you have brought your dissatisfaction to our attention; we are always looking to improve our business and, above all, our customer service, in any way possible. Indeed, we have recently redesigned our entire office layout, and discontinued our internet café in order to better focus on our main concerns: the clients of our tours and transportation services.
To more specifically address your situation, there are several instances of communication and information failure. First of all, we deeply regret your feelings of being ignored. Sometimes people come into our office simply to look at the books and postcards for sale, if they do not directly approach the desks, it may not be clear they are looking for information from us. Nevertheless, we try to make a point to say hello to anyone who enters the office. Clearly, and unfortunately, it did not happen that day.
Next, the fact is that we do not rent out paddle boards, with or without waiver forms. We only do the Stand Up Paddle Tour. For a time we opened up the possibility of renting the boards, but only after the clients had taken a tour with us in order to ensure they knew how to handle the equipment properly. I am not sure why the information that was relayed to you was not as such. It seems that somehow incorrect information was given to you, and for that we apologize.
As for the debacle the day of your SUP Tour, it seems it was a case of miscommunication between the person that reserved the tour for you (not our company), and our office. We do the tour either in the morning or the afternoon, depending on the tides. Perhaps the person who reserved the tour had previously reserved it with the time of 8:00 am and assumed it would be the same, not realizing the need to check the tides.
All we can do at this point is send our sincere regrets that you had a negative experience with us, and use your feedback in order to assure that the type of service described does not happen again. Thank you for calling these faults to our attention; we welcome every day as an opportunity for us to refine and improve our company and its relationships. We hope that our explanation can provide you with a little bit of understanding of the situation and with the confidence that we will do everything we can to avoid an instance like yours in the future
Litteton, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Outstanding Professional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Skynet Tours is the best in town (Samara). We took a river tour with Bernie and had a wonderful experience. They also arranged for transportation back to Liberia. As we experienced firsthand, there are several "tour operators" that don't have the language skills or the knowledge about the environment, animals, history culture, etc. Skynet Tours does. This was illustrated when we went on a snorkeling trip with another vendor. When we made it out to the location for snorkeling, the tour operator didn't have snorkels for us!! He had to actually borrow snorkels from the Skynet operator who happened to be there too. Skynet graciously loaned the snorkels to us and even gave us tips on where to snorkel. Skynet is a true class act.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Sue27Litteton
Torrance, California
“Best place to book tours and ask questions!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I was in Samara and found skynet tours because i was using their internet one day. They set me up with ever tour you can imagine around CR. It was the best prices i found and they also had the best guides. I did stand up paddling in Carrillo which was awesome and I also went on the Palo verde Tour. We saw tons of wildlife and it was all beautiful. They can answer pretty much any question you have while you are traveling. David, Lesdy and the rest of the staff are so helpful and sweet. I would go talk to them whenever I needed advice on where to go or when i felt like doing a tour or taking the bus or private shuttle somewhere. There isn't a better place in town to go to, in my opinion ;-) Thanks for all the help!

Visited June 2011
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Skynet Tours in Playa Samara will make your tropical vacation dream a reality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I would like to give my strong endorsement and recommendation for use of the excellent and diversified travel and tour services of the Samara Beach Travel Center and its Skynet Tours business. I have personally used the transportation, tour and hotel booking services provided by owner David Ortega and his excellent staff on many occasions over the last seven years, most recently last December. Whenever I visit my home in Playa Carrillo, I always have his very cheerful and reliable driver Alex pick me and my traveling companions up at the Liberia airport and deliver us back at the end of our vacation stay. Alex is always waiting for us with a friendly smile and helpful hand when we exit the airport arrivals hall and takes us first to a nearby open air native restaurant for our arrival meal before continuing the journey to the Samara area. We frequently have booked day trips or multi-day excursions to the Arenal Volcano, the Monteverde Cloud Forest, the Palo Verde National Wildlife Refuge or other venues through Skynet Tours and always greatly enjoy the excellent driving and guide service provided by Alex. David Ortega has also arranged for many of our local boating, fishing and sports activities as well as well as river rafting and zipline excursions elsewhere in Costa Rica. His English skills are excellent and his service is always professional and efficient. Whenever some remote booking or logistic assistance has been needed on short notice, David is always available immediately by cell phone or email on a 24/7 basis to assist. I always recommend Samara Beach Travel Center and Skynet Tours to my guests who vacation at my home in Playa Carrillo and they frequently let me know how much they too appreciate the excellent service provided by David Ortega and his outstanding team.
Dave Foster, Los Alamos NM and “Casa Pericos” in Playa Carrillo CR