“Average hotel with super friendly staff.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rancho De La Playa

Rancho De La Playa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“Average hotel with super friendly staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The overall first impression of this hotel is nice and cozy.
There was life music that night witch can be a bit of a concern if you're staying there with children or if you want to go to sleep early.
We stayed in the bar because it's better to join if you can't beat them. LOL
The staff was super super super friendly and worked really hard to make sure nobody was without a drink.
The music was nice so if you have a chance to meet Milo the musician, do it. The guy is a trip.
The room we had was very nice with 3 beds, queen and two singles. I took the queen right under the ceiling fan, temperature was good without AC but the matress was incredibly thin.
The bathroom was small but clean with just enough water pressure to get wet and to take a shower, don't think you can enjoy your shower.
There is a nice small pool, big enoug to do some laps in the morning. 9 mtr/30 ft
The room was cheaper than the hostel around the corner where they asked min 16 USD for a dorm bed. Here we payed 30 for the room with TV.
CONCLUSION: If you don't need to go to sleep early, you dont want to sleep in and you like a clean room and don't want to pay to much, GO THERE!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gurucostarica

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really a great deal - nice clean room. A/C that actually works, shower that delivers hot water, satellite TV, kitchenette: in a word: worth at least the price (($50/per night in low season). Warning: if you a 5 Star hotel person, not your place. In fact, Samara itself is not a place for 5 Star Hotel people - go to Tamarindo or Miami Beach! This is a super good 3 Star hotel! With dirt cheap prices for the quality.

The pool that is sparkling clean, you are 5 minutes walk from the beach. The town itself is laid back and lovely. Sit in a bar/restaurant on the beach, go into the tropical water or walk down long stretches of beach.

July is "winter" here - overcast much of the time, rainy sometimes for an hour or two. Really cold - about 31 for those who use Celsius, about 9F1 for the USA. Gorgeous!

The staff at the hotel are superb. Roberto, one of the two owners, is a very outgoing Italian. He is an excellent host who makes sure that the hotel runs like clockwork. He speaks decent English, more fluent Spanish and of course Italian. My first day there he stirred me to Playa (Beach) Carrillo - about 7 kilometres away. Although Playa Samara is not commercialized like Tamarindo or the areas north of there, Carrillo is without any commercial development - just a beautiful beach used primarily by Ticos and without bars or any other such. Take a water bottle or a few cans of beer in a cooler! And, as the signs say, take your garbage with you. And people do - both beaches are clean and lack litter.

The bar manager, Megan, originated in New York. Talks like a machine gun, both in Spanish and English. Assessing me in minutes as a (old) guy who wasn't 5 Star and liked to go to places that were good and very much Costa Rican, she showed me on the town map how to get to Pablito's - I would never have found it in the 4 days I had in Samara otherwise. Lunch - a bowl of beef and vegetable stew/soup with rice and a beer - $2.

Bar/restaurant staff - beautiful, talkative (better in Spanish but some English/French for the language disadvantaged).

The food is excellent - good, bountiful Tico food. As with the drinks, extremely reasonable prices at a resort.

Bonus: 3 nights a week, live music.

If it sounds like I was knocked out by this place, you got it right!! I am going to make this a regular stop when I am in Costa Rica. Can't wait for December.

• Stayed July 2013
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have a bit of a traveling problem; I travel the earth when I can and because of this, there are times where I have had to learn to rely on the kindness of strangers.

Two nights ago was one of those occasions. Having to catch a bus in Samara at 4:30 in the morning, I had to take a cab from Nosara to Samara late at night the night before. For some reason, I had forgotten to go to the ATM and I had virtually no Colones to my name; however, I wasn't worried. I knew Samara had an ATM and I thought..."No problem, I will go to the bank when we get there and get the driver his money and thank him." What I didn't know is Samara closes both its ATMS at 10pm every night for security reasons. I found this out at 11pm when we pulled up. Luckily, I was able to make arrangements to pay the driver through Costa Rica Yoga Spa through a Paypal invoice, but that still left me with no cash to my name and I was faced with sleeping on the streets of Samara until my bus pulled in the morning...homeless in Samara...I can think of worse places to be homeless; however, being homeless sucks just the same.

So there I was..on the streets of Samara sitting on my too big of suitcase when an angel appeared. The angle was int he form of a cab driver named Carlos and as he listened to my story of woe in my broken Spanish...he told me he could help me...he dialed something on his phone and then led me to Rancho de la Playa...I had to tell Carlos that I had no cash to pay for a hotel and they would have to take credit card. His reply?

"No problemo."

So, I followed him to a place I had been before a few weeks back. A place I had liked but had only gone there to see the amazing local musician Milo Corrales who plays a wicked concert there every Wednesday night. When I had seen Milo, Rancho de la Playa was pumping with soulful sounds and some of the most beautiful people I had ever seen.

When Carlos and I arrived on this fateful night, the place was dark and I knew why...it was Thursday and the whole town was doing their dance somewhere else...including one of the owners, Tony.

However, Carlos didn't skip a beat. He used his phone, spoke less than 3 minutes on the phone and told me that Tony would be right there.

Sure enough, Tony drop his boogie to come out of his way to give me a room. Not only did he let me put the charge of the room on my card (the rate of which was incredibly reasonable....like the best deal I had in Costa Rica yet), but Tony also let me put charges to Carlos' services on my card as well.

Then, the doorman showed me to my incredibly clean room and he assured me that he would wake me up at 3:30am, so that I would make my bus. This allowed me to get a few hours of sleep under a roof before I set trails to San Jose. Moreover, the doorman followed through with his word and came to room at 3:30 am on the dot.

In all my travels, this kind of experience is rare. A wonderful place that provides fun and shelter to its guests at an incredibly great deal when they are located in a such a beautiful place where they could charge an arm and leg and PLUS, the owner himself is willing to go out of his way to a guest who is only there to stay for a few hours of rest...thank you, Rancho de La Playa, the kindness you showed me will not be forgotten...thank you for the rest...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rgurley
Cuesta Grande, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is centrally located in Samara and managed by a small but efficient, multi-lingual staff. It is 2 minutes from Playa Samara, one of the cleanest and safest beaches in Costa Rica.
This hotel and restaurant is very family orientated with a clean pool and fully stocked bar. The downside of our visit is that we could not take the chef home--an expert in seafood preparation and casados tipicos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel was a nice hotel. The rooms were clean, the pool was nice(although it had some stuff that could easily be cleaned out), and the staff were wonderful. Overall it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stayed in countless hostals and Rancho de la Playa ranks along with the best I have stayed in.

Friendly and efficient staff who showed me a number of rooms with/without aircon, private/dormitory to fit most budgets.

The food was great, the pool was excellent and the live music in the evening was the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

Many thanks to Megan and her team who were incredibly professional and who ALL made me feel welcome - even though I was only staying one night!

Room Tip: If you can afford a room with aircon go for it, Samara gets hot!