“One of my favorite spots!”
Review of Rancho De La Playa

Rancho De La Playa
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My trip to Costa Rica started as a student and over the past four months, Rancho has become one of my main spots for study, relaxation and fun! The food is always wonderful and the atmosphere is alive and happy. The drinks are delicious and the service is wonderful! The staff is so great and the owner goes out of his way to make sure everyone is happy!
After my course I spent some time vacationing in Samara and stayed in the hotel. Phillepe offered us one of the best rates in town and made the week-long stay so very enjoyable! The bathrooms are super clean. Hot showers if you wait just a minute for them to heat up. A fun little swimming pool by the bar. The breakfast was wonderful and I enjoyed our server, Meagan, every morning. There is no doubt I will be returning. Also, these are some of the most comfortable beds in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: I stayed in room #7 and it was large and could easily sleep four.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mel w

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Nice hotel, exellente service and very good foot!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Roberth8342
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We planned to stay for three nights at Rancho de la Playa but left after two nigths because this lodge did not meet our expectations.
When we arrived there was not so much time to inform us about anything because it was busy in bar and restaurant. The apartment we
got was the one above the kitchen en next to the bar and restaurant. We did not know and it does not show on the website that there is
a complete restaurant and bar otherwise we would not have chosen this place, knowing that it can by very noisy. But, Philippe, the owner
convinced us that the bar en restaurant would stop the music at 22h00 and close at 22h30. And, right, that was what happened. But,
at 02h00 a whole group of people came in and were taking their seats at the bar and in the restaurant, moving chairs around etc, amazing.
The restaurant closes at a decent time, but doesn't open at a decent time, because at 06h00 people were walking around already, waiting for
breakfast etc, which is ofcourse logic, but not in my bedroom...
We had food in the restaurant and the food is really delicious, a restaurant I can certainly recommend but, our budget is not the one to
go out for dinner every evening and that is why we we took this apartment, because of the kitchen.
It was very spacy and clean. But, the kitchen was not well equiped.
The lock on our door did not work, so the handyman needed to fix our lock first, which he did. Next day, no cleaning because the owner
only has one key of this apartment.....It was difficult for me to get some cleaning stuff, because staff that was
there at that moment (reception lady, bar staff) did not speak or understand any English.
We told Philippe next day that we would not spend the third night at his Rancho and I also told him the reason and he said it Was no problem.
Afterwards I did send him an email with some constructive criticism, I thought....but, this was his answer:
Dear ......,
For 150 dolars per night you have a very nice apartments very well furnished in tree house hotel but for the noise I’m not sure it’s front
of the beach….And for the little things you missed it’s very difficult if I know it after your departure …Bestphilippe

But, Philippe's apartments also start from $80 per night although we got it much cheaper because of low season. But, I think to make
a decision on where to stay you need the most important info on the lodge, not only the distance to the beach...........
The little things missing (coffeemaker, microwave, there was only one old pan, kitchen linen and cleaning stuff)in the kitchen are things everybody
uses on a daily basis, so, nothing special, just necessary.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country with nice people and mostly wonderful accomodation, except for this one.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank AandH0728
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Phillip the owner is a people oriented person. He did not have exactly what we wanted so he gave us something better at a sweet price. He is a gourmet cook (French) and so if you can talk him into cooking for you then you will be in for a treat. He and his staff are there to help the guests enjoy themselves. When I go back to Samara it is the Rancho De La Playa that I will be staying at.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Juddtuska
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We only went to have dinner but have been going back weekly to get the langosta (lobster). For $12 you get 2 giant lobster tails and a salad and potatoes. The staff are from Belgium and very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bsully36
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed one night in another hotel in Samara and were looking to get out of there when someone recommended Rancho de la Playa to us. We were very pleasantly surprised with the accomodations, we ended up staying a week when our original plan was just a couple days and they were great with getting us available rooms. The French family that runs the hotel couldn´t be any nicer or friendlier, they allowed us to use their computers and served a great crepe breakfast in the morning.

The location is great, it is a super, easy walk to the beach, and is located near many supermarkets and other things you may need like ATMs etc. I definitely recommend this hotel, it is a great place to lay in a hammock, lay by the pool or get involved in a game of ping-pong.

Room Tip: Ask for air-conditioning it gets hot there!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dbecka7
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hi Everyone!
I recently stayed at Rancho de la playa and would highly recommend it. I had a fabulous dinner there of Lobster by the pool and met some really wonderful people (it was caught that day--I don't know if it's a regular thing, but I would highly recommend trying lobster!).

Rancho de La Playa is also walking distance to the beach,--so everything is at your finger tips in terms of surf lessons, grocery shopping, and even a nearby gym. Another awesome part of Rancho de la playa is that the setting gives you a very private feeling as if you were outside of town. The pool is beautiful, and the plants that surround it give you a sense of privacy. I stayed in a room with a kitchenette and air conditioning-with a queen size bed--a nice break after being outside in the heat all day.

The bar and restaurant draws in a whole international crowd, so it's easy to feel at home here. I have met some great friends here. I would highly recommend staying at Rancho de la playa as you get to know wonderful Samara.

Room Tip: request a room with air conditioning or kitchen!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo