“Turtle watching tour Samara”

Carrillo Adventures & Travel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a transportation company dedicated to the safe and fun transport of tourists throughout all of Costa Rica to most of the major destinations this beautiful country has to offer. Located in Carrillo Beach, Guanacaste, on the pacific coast, Carrillo Adventures offers 14 years of experience in personal transportation. We offer private sightseeing tours and excursions accompanied by professional and authorized tourist guides or by knowledgeable and English speaking drivers
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This week I submitted a less than complimentary review of a turtle watching tour we took out of Samara Beach. I mistakenly said that this tour was with Carrillo Adventure S.A. Day Tours. This is NOT correct. We took the tour with Carrillo Tours (www.carrillotours.com). I apologize to Carrillo Adventures Tours for the error. To complete my story, when Williamm of Carrillo Tour learned that we were unhappy with our experience, he tracked us down, apologized and offered us a complimentary river kayak tour. We took the offer and had a very enjoyable three hours with our guide, Rene. This didn't improve the turtle tour but speaks volumes about the professionalism and client service of the company. Again, I apologize for the mix-up.

All reviews
"river kayaking"
in 6 reviews
"turtle tour"
in 8 reviews
"olive ridley sea turtle"
"fresh cut fruit"
"a lot of fun"
in 4 reviews
"juice"

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Let me begin by saying how glad I am that I chose to participate in Carrillo Adventures' tour to Monteverde and Arenal. So much, in fact, that the following weekend I joined them on a tour of Montezuma and Isla Tortuga. Both of these tours were booked through Intercultura Language school and were reasonably priced. The drivers and guides were always prompt and ready to accommodate our needs, but were also ready to give information about the biodiversity, culture and politics of the country. While maintaining professional, there was much fun to be had from singing on the long bus rides to endless joking and ribbing. The vans were always spotless despite the muddy potholes found covering most stretches of Costa Rica's roadways, and every activity seemed well planned and went very smoothly. Another plus was that my bags always felt very safe which was a nice change from worrying about them while on public busses!!! I really enjoyed my experience with Carrillo Adventures and would highly recommend their tour company. After getting to know several of their drivers and staff, I felt even better about supporting a company who is run by honest, warm, flexible, responsible and solid people.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The booking staff were very friendly and helpful. We only did one tour with them:

Arenal volcano tour:
I never saw a good description of the excursion on tripadvisor, so I'll try here:
It's a long ride and a long day - about 5hrs there and 5 hrs back. That said, it's an interesting drive through the heartland of Costa Rica. Our guide and driver were also good, which helped. First up was a hike to see La Fortuna waterfall - very impressive. Wear swimwear under your clothes (bring towels - there are no changing facilities down at the waterfall, but there are bathrooms at the car park you can use before and after the hike) and you can go in the waterfall pool - very cold, and rocks are pretty sharp so bring sandals if you go in. Just down from the waterfall you can go in the river too, which is far easier access. There are quite a lot of steps, so the old or not-so-mobile might not be suited for this. Next up, we were offered to go into the town, but we imagined it wouldn't be much more than souvenir shopping, so skipped it. This gave us more time at the next stop, which was Baldi Spa Resort (you know that swimwear and towel you brought? This is where you REALLY need it, and there's plenty of places to get changed). A gorgeous resort of manicured gardens and multiple pools of varying temps from cosy, all the way up to scalding, to relax in and melt. Included was lunch at the buffet restaurant there (you get a wristband when you enter the resort) - lunch was only until about 3pm I think, so don't miss it! Sitting there eating your lunch, looking up at the volcano as you sit on the side of it is a cool experience. Note: the water in the spa is heated by pumping it down to the vents and back up, so it's not a 'natural' hot spring - whether this makes a big difference is up to you. The only real disappointment with ALL the Arenal tours (not just this one) is that you can't go up to the caldera, apparently the out-gassings are so strong that you need respirators. The tour is $150pp if a group of four or more go. We waited a week for others to sign up, but none did, so they ran the tour for us two only and we paid $215pp - it was still very much worth it. All activities and food were included in the price.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I took the trip to Monteverde with the Carrillo Adventures Tours and it was pura vida! They were prompt in picking us up. We rode in a clean, comfortable van. Carlos drove us while Luis gave an informative tour about this beautiful country. Monteverde was amazing. We would highly recommend it!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A group of friends and I went on a trip with Carillo tours last weekend. We had a WONDERFUL time! We left early Saturday morning and enjoyed and interactive guided tour from Samara to La Fortuna. Our driver/guide's name was Roberto and he was very funny and informative. Some members of the group are Spanish teachers and some knew very little Spanish. Roberto did a great job juggling the languages to make the trip valuable for everyone.

We visited the beautiful La Fortuna waterfall where we hiked down to the waterfall and swam in the cool stream below. We took an ecotour where we saw sloths, frogs, birds, butterflies and other animals. Then we went to Baldi, a picturesque thermal spa with swim-up bars.

The following day we took a jeep-boat-jeep tour that landed us in Monteverde where we went to the Canopy Extremo and zip-lined. It was a BLAST.

The ride back to Samara was as pleasant as the ride there.

Carillo Tours is a realsonably priced, excellent company that really cares about its clients.

1  Thank Jimmi C