“Best meal we had in Samara”

Restaurante Casa Esmeralda
Ranked #28 of 73 Restaurants in Playa Samara
Cuisines: Italian, Costa Rican, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our neighbors at the condo we rented had dinner at Casa Esmeralda the night before we did and recommended it highly. They were right! We had a wait of about 15 or 20 min for a table, but there's a reason this place is busy: great seafood and pasta, lots of local charm, friendly service and very reasonable prices (the only really pricey thing on the menu seemed to be the lobster dishes). The octopus appetizer was delicious, I thoroughly enjoyed my spaghetti con mariscos and my friends loved, loved, LOVED the spaghetti in avocado sauce with shrimp. Note that it seems to be closed Sundays (the first night we tried to go).

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was the first place we ate in Samara, on the advice of Dr. Freddy Soto (a charming local physician if you are in need of a doctor while on vacation). It was, as advertised; simple, local style food, cooked with fresh ingredients. Although it is not on the beach, it has a nice "casa" sort of feel to it. We were the first ones there the night we went, but it quickly filled up with locals and tourists alike. I wasn't feeling great that night so I had a simple chicken and rice dish with salad on the side. It was very tasty without being over done. My husband had pork with rice and beans which he said was very good too. Wines by the glass were some of the best we had, very reasonable and nicely chilled. Although we were a couple, I think this would be a great place for families. It was very family friendly, the menu had lots of good options for kids and it was very reasonable. We would definitely recommend dinner here if you are visiting Playa Samara.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Busy restaurant but no reservation necessary. Short wait. Service average. Food good. Fish soup was very good. Very affordable. Atmosphere noisy. Enjoyed our evening.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The service and the food were very good at this restaurant about a block and a half off the beach. Everyone's meals were very yummy and all plates were clean at the end. The server was very wonderful to bring out our daughter's food 1st. I would recommend this little restaurant to anyone. Please note that they are closed on Sundays.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Casa Esmeralda was recommended to us by our hotel. While the outside isn't much to look at, the restaurant had the right amount of hustle and bustle appropriate for our family of four, including our 5 year old son. The menu choices were pretty broad--seafood, pasta, typico... My son scarfed down a gigantic plate of spaghetti with meat sauce. I had a house-recommended pasta with a shrimp and mushroom wine sauce. The other two in our party ordered rice dishes with shrimp and vegetables. There were definitely no complaints at our table! Of all the places we ate during our 5 days in Samara, this was one of our favorites and a very easy place to take the family.