“Great Lessons - Even Better People”

Choco's Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional, bilingual, local surf instructors. All instructors are certified by the International Surfing Association and are licensed in Ocean Rescue and CPR. Fully Insured. Safe and fun lessons for grommets to grandparents, beginning to advanced. Come and ride the waves with us! Surfboard and Boogie board rentals by hour/day/week/month.
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Lessons - Even Better People”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were in Samara for a month. My daughters (11, 11 and 9) all wanted to learn how to surf.

On the first day I visited pretty much every school/surf shop/etc. A few stood out as the most friendly - Choco's and ____. I chose Choco's because he was really flexible on price and had a cool policy of letting us take a board or two to other beaches. My kids ended up taking 9 lessons with Jose & Manfred. They were incredibly nice and kept the kids happy and interested. The whole crew at Choco's treated us like family the entire stay. You cant go wrong with Choco!!!

P.S they also have a very cool shower

1 Thank jfw34

• Finnish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Surf School!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Choco's Surf School is a wonderful surf school. Choco was patient and so friendly. He is a wealth of knowledge, and taught me so much about the tides, how to read a wave, and most importantly how to ride one. I'd recommend Choco's Surf School to everyone, no matter how young or old you are!

Fairfield, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I Never Thought I'd Do This”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

While vacationing recently with my brother in Samara, Costa Rica - I had the opportunity to take surf lessons at Choco's Surf School. Opportunity...well, I'm not sure if that's the word I should use - basically, my brother informed me that we were taking surfing lessons and that was final! Also...how could I return to work saying I hadn't surfed at all when my boss had urged me too?! When I caught a glimpse of the waves in Samara I thought to myself, no Jenny - the waves are far to big...you are quite simply not capable of this. I certainly had my doubts...but then I met Marco! He was a fantastic instructor who taught me what I needed to know to safely attempt the sport. He is also gorgeous.

I ended up taking two surf lessons with Marco at Choco's surf school. I was able to stand up on the foam surfboard and ride it all the way in to shore. I never really thought surfing would be an interest of mine considering that I'm a little afraid of the ocean...and the wildlife that inhabits it. However, I am grateful for the experience of trying something new that I was a little afraid of and was not sure I could do.

I highly recommend taking a surf lesson at Choco's while in Samara, Costa Rica. Depending on the time of day and the tide, the waves will be manageable--especially with a good instructor!

Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice Surf Lesson”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Jose was a great instructor. I am pretty old, but he hung in there with me, and I almost surfed after one lesson. Jose was patient, kind, and detailed. Try surfing with Choco's. It is fun and not as hard as it looks, especially with help from Choco's.

Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Learn to surf with Choco!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

You gotta bargain to get a better deal if you're solo. But Choco gives you great value for the price. He has many years of experience so you can learn all the surfing basics from him!

Visited June 2014