“Learn to surf with Choco!”

Choco's Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional, bilingual, local surf instructors. All instructors are certified by the International Surfing Association and are licensed in Ocean Rescue and CPR. Fully Insured. Safe and fun lessons for grommets to grandparents, beginning to advanced. Come and ride the waves with us! Surfboard and Boogie board rentals by hour/day/week/month.
Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Learn to surf with Choco!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

You gotta bargain to get a better deal if you're solo. But Choco gives you great value for the price. He has many years of experience so you can learn all the surfing basics from him!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Marina P

• Finnish first
Ottawa, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great beach and good instruction”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My gf and I stayed a couple of hours away, volunteering in Hojancha, and came to Samara on two different weekends. We also spent some time in Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio later, so we feel that we can compare the beaches. Samara is beautiful and we enjoyed it the most! The water is clear and the beach is much more prestine. For beginners, Samara is the place to learn. The waves are sheltered in the bay, being fairly small and gentle but still big enough to get up on.

The instructor that we got was Choco's son, if I remember correctly (but it's been a couple months so I could have that confused though). Another surf instructor that we had met recommended Choco's and had high praise for him. Either way, he was calm and relaxed, walking us through it until forcing us to try each progressive step on our own. For example, once we stood up on a wave, he told us that we must try to get up now without him telling us when to stand. That continued until we were picking our own waves and riding in an hour or two. It doesn't hurt that we are both active and participate in a variety of sports. ;)

Choco's also let us use the board as much as we wanted throughout the rest of the day and we could come back to sign it out the next day too, if we wanted, for no additional cost! Well worth the price for good instruction at a great beach with as much practice as you want.

Only negative I can come up with is that some of the locals (egg-eaters) were not very conscientious about staying out of the way. One kid kept wandering over in front of us where I actually had to jump off or risk smashing the little brat (looked about 8 or 10) with my board. It only happened a time or two and I blame that more on the parents than anything.

Visited December 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not the Best”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I signed my 14 year-old daughter up for her first surf lesson and there was 1 other person taking a lesson. Even so, the instructor couldn't manage to keep them together at all and my daughter spent most of the lesson on her own trying to figure it out.

Visited April 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'll be back!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I’ve taken lessons with Choco on two separate trips to Guanacaste. I’ve made lots of progress with them and plan to take more lessons and continue to advance in future trips.

Why Choco’s?

The surf school is located at Playa Samara, which is a great beach for beginners. It safe with a sandy bottom and well-formed waves (generally clean and moderate in size rather than gigantic, choppy, disorganized, or flat). In addition, there are many beginners there so you won’t feel intimidated or too embarrassed when you inevitably fall.

Choco’s Surf School is right on the water, which means no lugging of boards. They have a variety of boards for beginners in different shapes and sizes. They will pick right board for your size/level and get you standing up as soon as possible.

I’ve taken two lessons with Manfred, who is not only a very thorough and encouraging instructor but between rides will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about Costa Rica. Owner Choco is a professional surfer who is also very approachable. He will offer an encouraging thumbs-up and tell you when you’re ready to graduate to a smaller board (music to a beginner’s ears…). Instruction is available in English or Spanish.

They will tell you what time of day good to surf for your skill level (2-3 hours before high tide seems best). But just as importantly, they will tell you when conditions are too dangerous (rare in my experience, but safety first—you do want to live to surf another day…)

If you take a lesson (which are very reasonably priced) you can return later during your stay to keep practicing under their supervision. That’s a great deal!!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ray W
Ithaca, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great surf lesson!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We only stayed at Playa Samara a day and a half, and my husband and I knew we had to give surfing a try. Marco picked us up at our hotel, and he was our instructor the entire time. He only worked with my husband and I, and he was AWESOME! Very patient, very hands on, and really informative. He didn't mind that I was a lot more nervous about surfing, and he gave great tips and advice that eventually got me riding my first wave!! It was so much fun, and my husband and I have officially been bitten by the surfing bug. We'll be back for more!

Visited May 2014