“I'll be back!”

Choco's Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional, bilingual, local surf instructors. All instructors are certified by the International Surfing Association and are licensed in Ocean Rescue and CPR. Fully Insured. Safe and fun lessons for grommets to grandparents, beginning to advanced. Come and ride the waves with us! Surfboard and Boogie board rentals by hour/day/week/month.
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I’ve taken lessons with Choco on two separate trips to Guanacaste. I’ve made lots of progress with them and plan to take more lessons and continue to advance in future trips.

Why Choco’s?

The surf school is located at Playa Samara, which is a great beach for beginners. It safe with a sandy bottom and well-formed waves (generally clean and moderate in size rather than gigantic, choppy, disorganized, or flat). In addition, there are many beginners there so you won’t feel intimidated or too embarrassed when you inevitably fall.

Choco’s Surf School is right on the water, which means no lugging of boards. They have a variety of boards for beginners in different shapes and sizes. They will pick right board for your size/level and get you standing up as soon as possible.

I’ve taken two lessons with Manfred, who is not only a very thorough and encouraging instructor but between rides will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about Costa Rica. Owner Choco is a professional surfer who is also very approachable. He will offer an encouraging thumbs-up and tell you when you’re ready to graduate to a smaller board (music to a beginner’s ears…). Instruction is available in English or Spanish.

They will tell you what time of day good to surf for your skill level (2-3 hours before high tide seems best). But just as importantly, they will tell you when conditions are too dangerous (rare in my experience, but safety first—you do want to live to surf another day…)

If you take a lesson (which are very reasonably priced) you can return later during your stay to keep practicing under their supervision. That’s a great deal!!

1  Thank Ray W
There are newer reviews for Choco's Surf School

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We only stayed at Playa Samara a day and a half, and my husband and I knew we had to give surfing a try. Marco picked us up at our hotel, and he was our instructor the entire time. He only worked with my husband and I, and he was AWESOME! Very patient, very hands on, and really informative. He didn't mind that I was a lot more nervous about surfing, and he gave great tips and advice that eventually got me riding my first wave!! It was so much fun, and my husband and I have officially been bitten by the surfing bug. We'll be back for more!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

The group, all of them, are great! I went with a bunch of other students a few weeks ago, and they were awesome. I took surfing lessons, and Marko was friendly personable, and had me up in about five minutes. They were all great! I also did the kayak tour, and Alfredo was also awesome! They all went out of their way to help us, talk to us around town, and make sure that we had a great time! I would definitely go back again!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

After receiving my dry instructions on the beach, I was amazed to catch a ride on the first wave that I tried. Choco is an excellent instructor, and managed to get an old guy with no sense of balance up on the board. After a number of assisted runs, I was able to catch waves on my own. I had no idea how much of a work-out surfing is, but am very glad that I did it. With my lesson came free use of the board and rash-guard shirt for the week, which was great. The guys there were always available and very patient to let me try different boards, have them waxed up and ready to go. The lesson is for 90 minutes, and then you can spend as much time as you like for the day/week. This was an excellent and much appreciated experience.

There is a restaurant/bar called Sherriff's right by Choco's on the beach, so you can get a great meal, and drinks right there as well

Reviewed February 10, 2014

First took surf lessons at Choco's in 2011 so based on the great time me and our adult children had returned for more. Sadly found out our young instructor "Shaggy" had died from an electrical accident the past year- Choco, Marko and team appreciated our sadness - Shaggy was a great instructor and upcoming surfing competitor.