“Exceeded Every Expectation!”

Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools
Reviewed August 4, 2017

I recently finished up 10 days in Sámara and a week long course at Intercultura. As a Spanish teacher, I was looking for a way to dip into the Central American culture authentically, while still feeling safe and having opportunities to practice my Spanish. I'd done a semester abroad in Spain, but had never spent any time in Central or South America. My experience in Sámara could not have been better. The school was located directly off of the beach, which made for a stunning view. The teachers are charismatic and lively, and are terrific educators. They do a placement interview to play you correctly and have on level content depending on where you fall. I chose to do the homestay option and also loved it. I will be honest, there were a few more insects than I was used to seeing, but the house itself was extremely clean, my host family was incredibly welcoming and accommodating and the food was great! I lived about 10 minutes walking from the school. As someone who is OVERLY cautious when it comes to safety and someone who had never traveled alone, I was feeling a little nervous about going to Costa Rica. However, I couldn't have felt safer in this town. Like any place, don't walk around alone late at night. Like any town, you risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But honestly, I felt very safe during the day and at night and had zero problems. The people are incredibly friendly, the town loves its tourists, there are plenty of fun restaurants and bars and many excursions offered both through and outside of the school. I couldn't say enough about this school and this town. I literally made a TripAdvisor account to write it :) LOVE IT. PURA VIDA

1  Thank Allison P
Management response:Responded August 7, 2017

Thank you for spending time with us. We are very happy that you had a great time in Samara. It makes our day to hear you felt the warm and welcoming local hospitality. Sorry the bugs wanted to greet you as well. We hope to see you back one day! Gracias por preferirnos! Pura Vida

All reviews
"immersive"
in 4 reviews
"hammocks"

Reviewed July 27, 2017 via mobile

I came here by myself to enhance my Spanish skills and live with a Costa Rican family. I'm a Spanish teacher in the US, but I still found the conversations and topics interesting at the advanced level.

The location is incredible. I felt very safe being here alone. My family was amazing - kind and the house clean. (No hot water or AC, though).

The school is, literally, on the beach. They offer extra activities to keep one entertained. The have yoga, cooking class, dance class and bead making depending on the day.

My only tweaks are that I would have liked to have had more information from the school the week prior about the schedule and what to bring (bring bug spray/sunscreen/umbrella/raincoat/beach towel/lock for lockers) and get to the school at 7am on Monday for placement. The schedule is either 8-12 or 1-5 and rotates every day except Friday.

They also seemed a bit overbooked last week when I was there. Things got settled, but it was a bit crazy on Monday morning.

I did see some of the more basic Spanish workbooks and was a bit surprised by a lot of the grammar being taught. I hope they do a lot of comprehensible input based work rather than grammar exercises.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience and would recommend the school.

Pura vida!

Management response:Responded July 31, 2017

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed the facilities, location and classes. We do send a lot of information in our "Confirmation Packet" once you've registered with us. Information about placement test time, what to bring (lock, towel, insect repellent, etc.) and the schedule can be found on pages 4 and 5. Sometimes our emails with attachments end up in Junk mail. I'm so sorry if yours didn't make it to your inbox. Our workbooks are a guide, but since we use the communicative approach, most lessons are focused on speaking and listening. We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with us and we'd love to have you come study with us again!

Reviewed July 14, 2017

This school is a treasure. It runs in the most perfect way. They know exactly what they're doing in terms of placing people, filling the schedule with material to cover what they need just right. They know exactly how to teach. The teachers are warm and care about teaching. There is so much integrity. The school is clean and constantly keeps it that way.

I brought the whole family to take classes. Everyone had a blast.

It's super fun to run out during breaks and buy food from the local empanada woman, and later from the local lunch woman... they came at each break with the most delicious food and everyone runs eagerly from class to buy. It's a treat and easier than getting lunch in any other way, which would take too long. The school grounds are beautiful, with names on the trees so we can know what species they are. The chairs to eat on outside have different statues built in them. It's all so charming. Maya, the local cat, is usually around to keep the kids happy, and plenty of iguanas come around. Yoga on their platform with beach breeze is so nice, and Karol teaches salsa every night--so you can dance on the beach on the platform. She is the best teacher and best dancer ever. She is a genius at breaking it down for beginners. We were allowed and encouraged at orientation to fill up our water bottles with their filtered water so that we don't kill the environment with too much plastic. They make it clear that you can feel comfortable like it's your home. One time, a nearby restaurant's bathroom was messed up, so I brought my daughter to the school --at 9pm at night--to use the bathroom. Students have access to the computers... it's all high tech. But the lesson plans are interesting and work. People can truly learn a whole new language from start or improve on what they know, and still have time to explore, surf, relax, and vacation. The other students are also fascinating to meet. Everyone on staff was friendly and super smart.
I really enjoyed the conversations and readings at the higher level for refining the subjunctive. :)

Lindsay L, Guest Relations Manager at Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! We're so glad you enjoyed the Intercultura experience. Your descriptions should give potential students a good idea of what to expect with us. We enjoyed meeting you and your family and hope to welcome you back one day!

Reviewed May 10, 2017 via mobile

Intercultura was great! The teachers I had were Ruth and Janethe. They were both very helpful and encouraging. Since I'm a kid, we played more games which was awesome! I learned so much! I loved how you would get two 15 minute breaks over the 4 hour learning time. The campus was beautiful! There was hammocks and benches to sit on during break. Sometimes there were even iguanas roaming around the yard! I met many new friends. I definitely recommend coming to Intercultura.

1  Thank leane10
Lindsay L, Guest Relations Manager at Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2017

Thanks so much for your review. It's great to get feedback about our Spanish Camp for Kids and Teens year-round program. We're happy to hear that you had fun while learning Spanish. I love the hammocks and the iguanas too!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 30, 2017

I spent 4 weeks at Intercultura learning Spanish. The school is incredibly professional and warm, which I really appreciated during my solo travels. The admin staff were really helpful, especially when my brain hit a roadblock learning Spanish in my 3rd week (irregular verb overload!). I needed time to process and they guided me through that. The teachers are charismatic with diverse teaching styles that worked well with my learning style. Byron, Angelica, and Nelson - gracias por todo! My familia Tica...I will forever have a family in this beautiful country. Ligia and her family took me in for an entire month and I cannot say enough about how they welcomed me as if I were their own. I highly recommend this full immersion school with the homestay. Last, the campus is beautiful. Hammocks, tables, a little kitchen to prep lunch, showers to rinse off from the beach...and activities. Zumba with Carol was fun and energetic and the bachata dance lessons allowed me to learn more about the culture in Costa Rica. Thank you Intercultura! Pura Vida :-)

2  Thank Veganitsa