“Spanish school well done!”

Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools
Reviewed July 27, 2017 via mobile

I came here by myself to enhance my Spanish skills and live with a Costa Rican family. I'm a Spanish teacher in the US, but I still found the conversations and topics interesting at the advanced level.

The location is incredible. I felt very safe being here alone. My family was amazing - kind and the house clean. (No hot water or AC, though).

The school is, literally, on the beach. They offer extra activities to keep one entertained. The have yoga, cooking class, dance class and bead making depending on the day.

My only tweaks are that I would have liked to have had more information from the school the week prior about the schedule and what to bring (bring bug spray/sunscreen/umbrella/raincoat/beach towel/lock for lockers) and get to the school at 7am on Monday for placement. The schedule is either 8-12 or 1-5 and rotates every day except Friday.

They also seemed a bit overbooked last week when I was there. Things got settled, but it was a bit crazy on Monday morning.

I did see some of the more basic Spanish workbooks and was a bit surprised by a lot of the grammar being taught. I hope they do a lot of comprehensible input based work rather than grammar exercises.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience and would recommend the school.

Pura vida!

Management response:Responded July 31, 2017

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed the facilities, location and classes. We do send a lot of information in our "Confirmation Packet" once you've registered with us. Information about placement test time, what to bring (lock, towel, insect repellent, etc.) and the schedule can be found on pages 4 and 5. Sometimes our emails with attachments end up in Junk mail. I'm so sorry if yours didn't make it to your inbox. Our workbooks are a guide, but since we use the communicative approach, most lessons are focused on speaking and listening. We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with us and we'd love to have you come study with us again!

All reviews
"jeanette"
"immersive"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2017

This school is a treasure. It runs in the most perfect way. They know exactly what they're doing in terms of placing people, filling the schedule with material to cover what they need just right. They know exactly how to teach. The teachers are warm and care about teaching. There is so much integrity. The school is clean and constantly keeps it that way.

I brought the whole family to take classes. Everyone had a blast.

It's super fun to run out during breaks and buy food from the local empanada woman, and later from the local lunch woman... they came at each break with the most delicious food and everyone runs eagerly from class to buy. It's a treat and easier than getting lunch in any other way, which would take too long. The school grounds are beautiful, with names on the trees so we can know what species they are. The chairs to eat on outside have different statues built in them. It's all so charming. Maya, the local cat, is usually around to keep the kids happy, and plenty of iguanas come around. Yoga on their platform with beach breeze is so nice, and Karol teaches salsa every night--so you can dance on the beach on the platform. She is the best teacher and best dancer ever. She is a genius at breaking it down for beginners. We were allowed and encouraged at orientation to fill up our water bottles with their filtered water so that we don't kill the environment with too much plastic. They make it clear that you can feel comfortable like it's your home. One time, a nearby restaurant's bathroom was messed up, so I brought my daughter to the school --at 9pm at night--to use the bathroom. Students have access to the computers... it's all high tech. But the lesson plans are interesting and work. People can truly learn a whole new language from start or improve on what they know, and still have time to explore, surf, relax, and vacation. The other students are also fascinating to meet. Everyone on staff was friendly and super smart.
I really enjoyed the conversations and readings at the higher level for refining the subjunctive. :)

Lindsay L, Guest Relations Manager at Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! We're so glad you enjoyed the Intercultura experience. Your descriptions should give potential students a good idea of what to expect with us. We enjoyed meeting you and your family and hope to welcome you back one day!

Reviewed May 10, 2017 via mobile

Intercultura was great! The teachers I had were Ruth and Janethe. They were both very helpful and encouraging. Since I'm a kid, we played more games which was awesome! I learned so much! I loved how you would get two 15 minute breaks over the 4 hour learning time. The campus was beautiful! There was hammocks and benches to sit on during break. Sometimes there were even iguanas roaming around the yard! I met many new friends. I definitely recommend coming to Intercultura.

1  Thank leane10
Lindsay L, Guest Relations Manager at Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2017

Thanks so much for your review. It's great to get feedback about our Spanish Camp for Kids and Teens year-round program. We're happy to hear that you had fun while learning Spanish. I love the hammocks and the iguanas too!

Reviewed January 30, 2017

I spent 4 weeks at Intercultura learning Spanish. The school is incredibly professional and warm, which I really appreciated during my solo travels. The admin staff were really helpful, especially when my brain hit a roadblock learning Spanish in my 3rd week (irregular verb overload!). I needed time to process and they guided me through that. The teachers are charismatic with diverse teaching styles that worked well with my learning style. Byron, Angelica, and Nelson - gracias por todo! My familia Tica...I will forever have a family in this beautiful country. Ligia and her family took me in for an entire month and I cannot say enough about how they welcomed me as if I were their own. I highly recommend this full immersion school with the homestay. Last, the campus is beautiful. Hammocks, tables, a little kitchen to prep lunch, showers to rinse off from the beach...and activities. Zumba with Carol was fun and energetic and the bachata dance lessons allowed me to learn more about the culture in Costa Rica. Thank you Intercultura! Pura Vida :-)

2  Thank Veganitsa
See more reviews
Reviewed January 19, 2017

We went to Samara for the first two weeks of Jan 2017. My two boys (9&7) took immersion Spanish classes. They were in a small class with friendly and fun teacher who used games to engage the boys in learning. They both noted this as their favorite part of the program. We also took advantage of extra cultural engagement by taking cooking classes and art making classes set up by the school for free! My kids loved it and they want to live there now. The staff was super helpful with any question or need we had. This is a top notch school and is run very well. They have it very well organized and fun too. We did a home stay that got us more exposure to Spanish and wonderful cooking. We will very likely go back for a longer stay in the future. Its a very special place.

2  Thank lawnshandis
Lindsay L, Guest Relations Manager at Intercultura Costa Rica Spanish Schools, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2017

It was such a pleasure having your family in class and around campus. We're so glad the boys enjoyed their classes and hopefully they learned a lot as well! Let us know if you decide to make the move. It's a wonderul place to live (or at least visit a lot)!