“MUST go to!”
Review of El Lagarto

El Lagarto
Ranked #4 of 74 Restaurants in Playa Samara
Cuisines: Barbecue, Costa Rican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Amazing diner. Cool atmosphere. Got the filet and the lobster tails and it was absolutely delicious! Definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone going to Samara!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was, by far, the best restaurant in Samara. Everything grilled to perfection! The ambiance was wonderful...right on the beach. In addition to fabulous food we were treated to a thunderstorm and light show courtesy of Mother Nature. A great night!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Massive Ambiance, Crazy unique Grill that dumps only red hot coals down to cook with (very efficient and visually appeqalling) VERY good meat cuts and sea food preps. Had the fillet mignon and lobster, should have subbed a ribeye ( my wife had this, VERY good) for the mignon (tender but mush less flavor). The lobster was messy and PERFECT, other than they dont believe in melted buter (I delt with it). They also have cover in case it rains. I hear the drinks are also crazy good, I did not partake at this meal (was driving). Right on the beach, in the middle of a tree, got more attention from the staff here than anywhere else in Costa Rica. A MUST if your anywhere near.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

This place has tons of character and is one of the higher end restaurants in Playa Samara though it still has sand floors. It's "roof" is basically a huge tree. The wood fired grill is amazing and the food is very good. Staff speaks English well, which helped and the menu is bi-lingual too.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were recommended to this oceanfront restaurant and bar by our hotel. I don't normally have an alcoholic drink (maybe 3 or four times a year), but I decided to order a pina colada along with my girl. It was delicious (and I caught a good buzz!). My girl ordered a pechuga de pollo, which came with zucchini and a baked potato covered with some type of cheese sauce (sorry, am not good at Id of sauces). As she never finishes her plate, I got to sample her chicken, Well grilled, delicious. As I don't normally order meat in restaurants because I like to stick to grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free beef, I was impressed to find that is the only beef they serve. So I ordered surf and turf. The beef steak was grilled a bit rarer than I wanted, but it was no issue to put it back on the wood-fired grill for a few minutes, and it returned just right. The shrimp were big and dee-licious! My only 'beef' is that there were only three of them. I could have downed at least a dozen! The service was great, ambiance nice (you are looking out at the bay and sand). Recommend you sit near a fan because of the insects, particularly around 5 pm when we were there. All in all, a great dining experience, you will enjoy it!