“Fantastic wedding getaway”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Buellton, California, United States
“Fantastic wedding getaway”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for the week of our wedding and couldn't have dreamed of having a better time. They were so accommodating! The grounds were beautiful and the staff was incredible! All the food was fantastic and our wedding planning seemed stress free. The tours we did through the hotel felt very safe and we had an incredible time! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Thank you Bosque del Mar for making our wedding an unforgettable adventure!

Room Tip: We got a beach front room and absolutely loved it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marissa B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for 2 nights on our weeklong vacation to Costa Rica. We had a beachfront suite, #602. There's a jacuzzi on balcony, a nice big bright bathroom, a comfortable king size bed, fancy rolling black out shades and a somewhat awkward front room with a couch, tv and a fridge.

We used the jacuzzi one day when it rained. It was tricky getting the water to drain so we could add hot water and button to change the jets was broken do it was stuck in this mode that felt like a bubbling cauldron. It also flooded into our bathroom. It wasn't a problem and didn't ruin our experience.

The fridge was very cold. We purchased water at the store 5 minutes from the hotel, the fridge kept them very cold. But make sure the fridge is turned first. They don't have ice machines so just bring your ice bucket to the front desk and they'll fill it up for you at the restaurant.

The hotel is on a brown/black sand beach. The water was not too cold, but I didn't really get in the water. This beach is beautiful in its own way, but it can't be compared to other beach locations like Hawaii or the Caribbean. You shouldn't set your expectations at that level. We did not encounter any stray dogs but a dead puffer fish did wash up. Of course this is out of the hotel's control. We had an hour massage on the beach, the ladies ask you how you like the pressure. Don't ask for a strong massage unless you like a very strong touch. My bf was sore after his massage.

The restaurant would be the one down side. We had breakfast here one morning and that was just ok. We had dinner one night and that was worse. The French onion soup that was oh so salty. We advised the waiter and he asked if we wanted a replacement. We declined and he said there would be no charge for the soup. That was very nice. We also had the grilled mahi-mahi it was just ok. The next night we ate at the little Italian place up the road a bit and that was a great meal! I recommend the ceviche and a pizza. The pizza is cooked in a wood fired oven, the crust is very thin like matza. They have a good bar for viewing games.

The service at the hotel was impeccable! I would give the service a 10 if I could.

This is a very small beach town. As we were there in the low season many places were closed. We wanted to try the restaurant Ginger just up the road but it was closed for indepence day and Monday.

Also the national park Rincon de Vieja is closed on Mondays too.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Dillsmo
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Also the national park Rincon de Vieja is closed on Mondays too.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Dillsmo
New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights in May. We had a great time at this hotel. Rooms were fantastic, grounds and pool were beautiful and staff was helpful and pleasant. Great location on beautiful calm beach within walking distance to restaurants and local supermarket. Take a snorkel trip with Adolfo, a great local guide and eat at Gingers in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa G
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The black sand beach on Playa Hermosa is stunning, the diving with Rocket Frog Divers is excellent and the food - yum!!

This boutique hotel is beautiful. Set in the trees, on the secluded south side of the most beautiful black sand beach, and Howler monkey's living all around you. The food is excellent and the staff are so wonderful. They even catered to my Gluten Free needs beautifully!

Rocket Frog Divers' has a office right at the resort and will pick you up on the beach right in front of the hotel. They will carry, clean and store your dive equipment so diving is a breeze. Definitely the best dive operator I have had the pleasure of diving with and the sites and wildlife are really great.

Two thumbs up on cost, value, location, service and food. I will definitely be back to this jewel in Costa Rica!!
Amanda M

Room Tip: All the rooms were beautiful, but next time I will splurge for the Ocean view... we could see humpba...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmandaNM
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for 3 nights, 2 nights prior to our Tauck Bridges Tour with extended family. What a great way to decompress and relax, we loved it! The staff at the hotel are lovely, helpful and organized. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, nice updated bathrooms and a nice indoor and outdoor sitting area. We loved sitting on the beautiful beach while the kids played in the ocean. There is no surf and the ocean doesn't drop off for quite a ways so we were very comfortable relaxing with them in the water. The hotel also has a pooll (no lifeguards tho, in Costa Rica) and the grounds are small enough that the kids could run back and forth between the beach and the pool. Beachside, and poolside food/drinks are also available. The food was very good and even accomodated picky kids. I had a massage on the beach that the staff worked very hard to accomodate me since I asked at the last minute.

I do have a couple of suggestions:
There need to be more lounge chairs on the beach, and more comfortable ones.
The massage was great but for an hour the masseuse only massaged one side??? I enjoyed it nonetheless but would have appreciated a full massage. Lastly, I would recommend that the hotel have a well stocked first aid kit. My dad cut himself on the beach and needed a bandage and something to clean out his cut and they were completely unprepared. The staff was very nice and tried to help but could have had a better kit.

Overall, I would definetly recommend this hotel.

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: The air conditioners are run by a remote control and were a little unclear on how to use. You may wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LUDH
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Before I went to Bosque del Mar, I read reviews about the dirty beach, the unhelpful staff, and the lack of being able to walk to anything. Well I am glad to be able to prove those reviews wrong. We stayed at Bosque del Mar for 8 nights. We came down for a wedding, but we came 4 nights before the group arrived. The first 3 of our nights were not in the wedding package rate, which means they did not include our food. I was worried, because of the reviews I had read online. However, there is no need to worry. Number One The Market: When the shuttle picked us up from the airport he offered to stop at the supermarket. Here we stocked up on 2 liters of Coca Cola Light, Coke Zero, wine, rum, beer, and some snacks for in between meals. (Keep in mind you only have a mini-fridge and coffee maker in the room, no microwave.) This market has everything you need. A small freezer section, a refrigerated section, toiletries, paper products, fresh bread, etc. While it is not huge like a market in the United states, it is probably 2,000 sq ft. Another plus is they accept American dollars and credit cards, and their registers show the conversion for you. There is also a great, nice priced swim/souvenir shop right next to the market. The drive to the resort from the market is about 5 minutes. This is when we discovered the market is only a 12 - 15 minute walk from the hotel. We actually ended up walking there probably every couple of days to either show friends the way or to get something we forgot. To get to the supermarket you make a right out of the hotel's entrance, walk until the T intersection, make a left, and it will be up and on the right about 5 minutes from there. Enough about the market, let's move on. Number Two Restaurants Near the Hotel: The first night we made a right out of the hotel entrance walked 5 minutes at most and stopped at Restaurante Bocelli Pizzeria. I had read about it in another person's review. This place was GREAT. It is inexpensive and the pizza is wood-fired. We started with the palm au gratin, which is similar to spinach artichoke dip, but made with hearts of palm and they don't serve it with anything so ask for bread or chips. The Diabla pizza was awesome. We had an appetizer, salad, pizza, 1 bottle of wine, and the total bill was $56 including gratuity. We returned to Restaurante Bocelli Pizzeria with friends later in the week. I could have eaten there numerous more times because of how large the menu was. The next day we ate lunch on the beach at Restaurant Aqua Sport, we split the shrimp quesadilla to start, and it ended up being so big we didn't order anything else. This quesadilla wasn't mediocre either, I was very pleased. If you walk onto the beach from Bosque del Mar and head right, there are at least 3 beach front café/bars between you and the other side of the small cove the hotel resides in. Restaurant Aqua Sport is one of these, along with El Velero Restaurant & Bar (which we ate at for lunch and disliked...but maybe we ordered the wrong things), and The Rock Bar which looked promising but we didn't have time to try it once our meal plans kicked in. We also ate at Villa del Sueno for dinner the second night. It is on the way to the pizza place, but closer, so instead of a 5 minute walk it was at most 3. This restaurant was definitely more expensive, we had escargot napoleon, mahi mahi steak, and filet mignon...but every bite was worth it. There were at least 3 other restaurants on the road within walking distance of the hotel, but we did not make it to them. There was one called Mario's which you needed a reservation but you can call day of, and their sign has the number on it. Moving on to my next topic...Number Three the Hotel Restaurant: After eating at 3 great restaurants within minutes of walking I was not impressed when the meal plan kicked in...and if it weren't being part of a group I would have canceled the rest of my meals. I noticed the before and after of when the rest of our group arrived. Before our group arrived for 3 days and 4 nights there was never a buffet set up. Everyone ordered off of menus, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Once our group fully arrived, buffet was set up breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I can't brag about the food, it was buffet, it wasn't what I would have chosen to eat if I had the choice. As far as the a la carte restaurant goes, I can't really weigh in. The only time I ordered a la carte, was the night our meal plan kicked in, the group wasn't there yet, however we were given a very limited menu...the only thing I liked was the French Onion Soup. We felt a little tricked because we asked the hotel for the menu in advance and it had a ton more options, such as lobster, but none of those are on the meal plan menu. Moving on to Number 4, The Beach: This is a grey/black/brown beach, but I don't care. I am a beach walker and pro-sheller since the toddler age. My passion is looking for shells. On this beach you will find the Olive Shell, mostly alive, in a variety of colors. You will also find bright pink clam shells, and if you wade into the water with a keen eye or a snorkeling mask you will find a ton of beauties making their way toward shore. Another thing about this beach is that it is dog friendly, locals and tourists alike bring their dogs, but there are also strays. The strays are not as malnourished as you would see inland, because they are very sweet tempered and well fed from both locals and tourists. I personally handed out dog treats I bought from the supermarket all week, and no they did not follow me to my room they enjoy the outdoors. Moving on...Number 5 The Hotel Staff and Hotel Tours: I went diving 2 separate days through the resort, through Rocket Frog which is a PADI dive center. It was amazing, we saw white tip sharks, manta rays, spotted eagle rays, huge moray eels, large blue parrot fish, octopus, etc...just great dives. Before one trip we saw sea turtles and humpback whales, while after another trip we saw a dolphin and baby dolphin. There were also 2 tours with the wedding group package: the zip line tour & the volcano hike tour. The zip line tour is fine for a huge group, but I would recommend only 4 people at most for the volcano hike. Both were very fun. Every tour is easy to book, as long as you book only by 3 pm the day before you want to take the trip. The staff was always great, the front desk had to deal with our group a lot. Shirley the bartender at the rooftop bar and Carlos the waiter were the best they come. They both tried to help us along with our Spanish, but also knew enough English.

Overall my recommendation, is go and explore. Costa Rica is fun and safe...you don't have to worry about leaving your resort like Mexico

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel El Velero
Hotel El Velero
#3 of 11 in Playa Hermosa
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa? Share your experiences!