“Fantastic Beach”

$85.00*
and up
Scuba Diving at Playa Hermosa, Coco and Ocotal Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer educational, due diligence tours of the Guanacaste area for people who are considering relocating to Costa Rica.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family and I loved this beautiful beach. Even my husband who is not a fan of swimming was in the water several times in our four-day stay. We could see lots of interesting fish as we swam, and took a look at the tide pools one evening. The only downside is that the black volcanic sand is pretty sticky and hard to get off, even after it dried, nothing to complain about. Gorgeous sunsets, warm water, even a few places to rest in the shade.

All reviews
"rainy season"
"liberia airport"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed August 14, 2013

On Monday August 12th, 2013 my family of 4 and my brother and sister-in-law visited Playa Hermosa Beach looking for Playa Blanca. A guy called Michelangelo came up to us and after he explained where that other Beach was, asked us if we were interested in a snorkel trip. We were and he said it would be half the price of what the larger tour operators offer because it would be a no thrill boat ride to the beach and sea in front of the Four Seasons. For us this was perfect as we did not need the open bar and hours on the ocean, but only the snorkel experience. We sat down in a small basic restaurant where he wrote out the reservation and asked us to pay as deposit $100 out of the $160 total. He told us he would come with us and also catch some fish that day. It all made us feel very comfortable. We paid and agreed to do the boat ride on Wednesday August 14th at 830am. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law fell badly in the Rincon Natl Park the next day forcing us to take her to the hospital on Wednesday. I went back to the restaurant on the left side of the small parking at Playa Hermosa at 820am on Wednesday to cancel our trip but to my surprise no Michelangelo. His, as I thought, friend was there who spoke very well American (used to live in Louisiana) and he told me Michelangelo was on another trip and his phone was stolen so he could not reach him. There was no gear anywhere and the boat of 830am was not ready either. The story is not getting better from here. He offered to get in touch with him to see if we would get back all or part of the deposit and I had to call back at 3pm. I did but by 6 pm he still had not seen or heard from Michelangelo. At that point, it was clear that we had agreed to a fake trip and that Michelangelo was a fast, dishonest sales agent rather than someone who really cared about his customers. I tried to get the "friend" and the restaurant to take some responsibility in this but no luck. We had heard about tourists being sold fake tours, but on Monday we did not have such feeling at all. I feel very bad for all these kind Costa Rican people who are doing everything to satisfy the tourists and who provide excellent service. This Michelangelo is ruining it for the hard working and honest people and give Costa Rica or Playa Hermosa in this case a bad reputation. We have learned our lesson but I am very saddened by all this. I hope this guy will stop screwing tourists and that the restaurant where we thought he worked for/with will never work with him again! A Costa Rica lover.

4  Thank Wayo D
Reviewed August 13, 2013

A lovely calm cove. The waters were blue and clear. We went during the week in the rainy season and had great weather. Not too many people, not as commercialized as Playa de Coco.

1  Thank Kimberly V
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nice but small beach with wandering vendors. Sand is black mixed with light - probably because of Volcano activity in the past. Nice area to snorkel to the right of the beach.

1  Thank Sherry B
See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Super calm great for families and just over a mile long of really nice sand. There are tide pools on both sides that are really fun to go walk out to as well. We booked a great snorkel trip for our family with Adolfo, the boat is named Sagitarius Par. He was great with the kids and made sure everyone got to see some cool underwater animals. We saw small squid, starfish, Puffer Fish, and a tone of other beautiful fish on the reef.

Michael Angelo booked us two great fishing trips that left right from the beach. They are located at the south beach entrance right at the small little restaurant bar next to bosque del mar.

massage on the beach was only $40 an hour!