“Best Vacation best Resort ,Best pool stuff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Amsterdam, New York
“Best Vacation best Resort ,Best pool stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Great place to visit with your family. Perfect for kids of all ages. Beautiful place with lots to do. We enjoyed the staff that was involved in the activities for the childen and adults. My family and I would love to commend Daniel, Andrea, Cecilia and lastly Giovanni. Wonderful Staff and good at what they do. Pura Vida Ticos ,Fernando -Eunice-Gaby y Paquito Maroto

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I recently traveled to Costa Rica with a group of 11 friends. When we arrived at the Villas Sol to check in we were greated by Bryan, Rene, Carmen and Luis at the registration area. Check-in was easy and Bryan was very helpful and we even got a free sunset cruise. Carmen and Rene were more than happy to answer questions about Costa Rica and tell us about the hotel. Luis even offered to help us pay our Costa Rica exit taxes and told us about the nightlife in the area.

Throughout our stay we met and regularly interacted with the rest of the Villas Sol staff. Alfonso, Allen, Mayron, Jose and the rest of the staff at the buffet restaurant were always friendly, professional and went out of their way to make sure all 11 of us were satisfied with the food. Alfonso always greeted us with a warm smile and made several trips to the bar on our behalf. Speaking of the bar...Jeffrey made the best drinks.

During the day our group spent most of our time at the pool. The activities staff made sure we always had a great time. The activities director, Daniel, and the rest of the staff Andrea, Geovanny and Ceci kept us entertained with games and music.

If you're heading to Playa Hermosa stay at the Villas Sol.

• Stayed August 2010
virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

We were nicely surprised by the property. The property was full as it was independence day. Concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had 11 ppl in our group we arrived from the airport too early to check in, so we got our all inclusive bands and headed to get some food and drinks.
Bryan the Guest Services Manager was AWESOME!! Since we had so many in our group he offered us a complimentary sunset sail boat tour. We had a blast. Rene who was in training during our check in was INCREIBLE. The list goes on DANIEL the Activities Coordinator was AMAZING. Alphonso on nite waiter was so CHARMING and attentive.
Jeffrey the night bartender made the best drinks. Melvin was a SWEETHEART and really knows how to play water volleyball.

We asked them to plug in OUR IPOD and they did with no hesitation, we wanted cookies they delivered!! Our VILLA we booked was not what they gave us and when we told BRYAN about it he immediately changed our rooms.

I would recommend this resort to any and everybody that travels to Playa Hermosa!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I travelled to Costa Rica at the end of August. I read many good reviews about this hotel before going and when we got there it exceeded my expectations. It was such a beautiful resort. The hotel room was VERY VERY clean, the staff were VERY friendly and nice, and even the locals were nice. We took 2 tours, the Palo Verde tour and Nicaragua Tour...Well worth the money. The food was amazing every single day. The buffet was always fresh, fruit was delicious and coffee was amazing (since they make their own coffee) rum was good to (their known for that as well). The hills are very steep, so if your drinking make sure you have someone/something to hold onto. The nightlife was 10-15 mins away from the resort, about a $10-15 cab ride. We found the cabs to be expensive, but if you speak spanish your able to baragain a little with them. Also, bring bug repellent..the first couple of nights were fine, but they attacked my feet with the repellent on but its only because the resort is surrounded by tons of trees. The beach was nice, although black sand due to the volcanoes there, it was nice. They had many daily activities for everyone to do, which was good and fun. Overall it was an AMAZING vacation and we would definately go back. The hotel is definately a 5 star!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

Just came back from seven days at Villa Sol.We stayed in a hotel room in the villas. Was ok. The only problem we had was the water heater seemed to supply us and a apartment next door.There seemed to be a group staying there and if we showered at prime time we would run out of hot water but was able to work around it.The room was small but only in it to sleep, to much to do.Did not have any problems with bugs or mosquitoes.The rooms in the hotel did look like they were in better shape,looked newer.The villa is built on a mountain so the walking can be a good woork out.There are trams that will take you where you want to go and never had to wait,but we always let theme go and walked for the exercse and scenery.The resort is isolated so if you donot have a car you have to take a cab for your shopping.A cab ride to Playa Coca,about ten min.ride cost fifteen dollars.The town is very small but There is enough shops to buy your souviners. There is three bars there that are pretty cool and we did manage to close them down a few times.While in coca felt safe with no problems at all.More than enough taxis to get back and forth.
The staff very friendly check in not a problem room was not ready but was given the bracelet so we went for some lunch and drinks.When we had to speak with the front desk instead of calling we would go to the desk in person and all of our needs were met without any problems.The food was good with alot of options with the buffet and there was always something that we liked,and there was a chef that was alwys cooking something on the side.Yes they serve black beans and rice with every meal, but that is the Costa Rica cuisine,you are not in america and the rice and beans where preety good.The staff in the resturant and bar where very friendly and always there when needed.The staff all speak some english,and after all you are in there country try speaking a little spanish,and you will not have any problems.
The only problem we had was booking a fishing trip with a local on the beach.For one hundred and fifty dollars he said we would catch some fish,but all we did was take a three hour troll with our lines in the water and not catching anything.On top of that we still had to pay him the money.
For your day trips my advice would be to go with a local guide company called Tico tours Guanacaste,guide name Bernal Mata he is great. His tours are very small and personal and he speaks very fluent english. we went on the zip lines and it was just the two of us and three other people.Bernal would take the time out to explaine the history and customes of Costa rica. He would point out the wild life and funa and after the zip lines he brought us to Liberia telling us about the history of the town.I would rather give my money to the little person trying to make a living and some body that goes out of there way to make sure you have a good time rather than a big company that treats you like another number.Bernal is wounderful and the only guide we would use.
If you come here and keep an open mind.remember you are in a third world country and this is not the ritz carolton there will not be prime rib and steaks,you can still have a great time with good service,don,t act like a spoiled american.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank firecapt38
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

I travel often, and have stayed in several timeshare resorts. This was the worst, by far! I was there attempting to celebrate my 30th birthday, and ended up with an experience to forget. Take heed to the real reviews and do not waste your money. There are many nice resorts in the area where you will really get your money's worth.
When I checked in, I asked for an upgrade from the hotel. So, I was told that I was upgraded to a villa. Yeah right! They said my room wasn't ready yet. So, I ate at the restaurant (serves rice EVERY day for EVERY meal). Once it was ready, I hopped on a shuttle and went. When I walked up to the door, I saw a trail of mold from the top. That should have been a sign. I opened the door and the first thing I saw was mosquitoes swarming. I was bitten about 3 times during the 5 mins I was in the room. The second thing I noticed was that this so-called villa upgrade was SMALLER than a hotel room! Everything was outdated. And, it was dusty and dirty. (Someone else's hair was on the floor by the bed.) After enduring a couple bites, I caught a mosquito in my hand. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and.....*drumroll*....the WATER DIDN'T WORK!!!! I tried the bathtub faucet. No water there either! I called a shuttle and went back to the reception office where I FELL ASLEEP waiting on them to fix the water and spray for mosquitoes. I was told that I HAD to stay in that room for the night because my original room had already been given away and there were no more rooms available. The next morning, I called to ask if any more rooms had become available and was told "no". However, when I spoke to a manager, he found me another room (in the hotel) in a matter of minutes. Hmmm.... I later found out that the "upgraded" room I had been given was actually supposed to have been blocked off for renovations. Thanks, Villas Sol!
I went to check into my hotel room, and it was filthy. It had not yet been cleaned. One of the hotel employees called and got me my correct room. FINALLY, after almost 2 days, I got a decent room. Aside from the spiders, beetles, and gecko that stayed in my room with me, it wasn't half bad.
Restaurant- The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is very average. It's definitely not worth an all-inclusive price.
Area- Overall, Costa Rica is absolutely breath-taking! The greenery on the resort is beautiful! However, the resort is very secluded. So, don't think you're going to be able to leave the resort and go walking around shopping, sight-seeing, etc... You have to take a cab anywhere you want to go. And, they're NOT cheap!
During my timeshare presentation, I explained what I had dealt with during my stay. The employees apologized many times. And, the man who did my presentation, Richard, along with Jose (who supposedly has some clout at the resort) gave me their word that they would make sure I would be compensated for my trouble. I've heard NOTHING from them since. Both lied!
Sergio in reception was the only one who was truly helpful during my stay. Most of the workers were very friendly and helpful. However, the room and the food were not worth it. I wouldn't even return if I were given a FREE stay! What a way to celebrate my 30th! NEVER again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,927 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!