My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. Modern, spacious, 2 balconies with spectacular ocean views. The Villas are a steep climb, great exercise, but they do have carts that run every 10 minutes or so to take you through out the resort. Grounds are very well kept, very clean, pools were very nice but smaller than I expected for this size resort. Although it was never an issue. Beach is down the hill and as shared they have transportation that takes you and picks you up. The beach is public and you do have vendors that try to entice you to go see time shares, or tours. Many a scam so send them on their way.
Villas Sol does have staff on the beach whom are very helpful, have activities, and around the bend which most people didn't realize they have complimentary water, and sodas for their guest. Its a small hut. The beach walk is beautiful, we hiked the rocks and found enclaves of secluded small beaches that were spectacular.
The mandatory all inclusive for RCI guest is my only negative. The food is ok. Some days much better than others. They have a wonderful spread of fresh fruits, breads etc.. The quality of the cuts of meat are not that great. For example a chicken dish for the night was pure chicken legs. The cost per person is to high. I have a 12 year old whom was charged at the rate which includes alcohol beverages. They need to change that to an adult rate and for people that don't drink have an option to purchase a non-alcohol package.
We enjoyed that native dishes and one day was dedicated to Costa Rica, they had a women making Tortillas and Empanadas by scratch and later had a class showing you how to make them. It was delicious.
I had read reviews about complaints to get into the small A la Cart restaurant. We had no problem with that, and once we went we decided we liked all the options at the main buffet restaurant better. The service and food was good but you only have 3 different options and the menu does not change daily. It is a small restaurant for 28 people so yes it would be a challenge to get in if you don't reserve way ahead of time. It is also used for private events such as weddings etc..
The gift shop in hotel of course was way over priced for incidentals. There is a shop in the Villas office when you first come in to the resort which was fair for incidentals, bottled water etc.. Up the road outside the resort to your left about two blocks down is a good grocery store too.
Overall it was a great trip. Gilbert from Concierge bends over backwards to make sure you and your family are happy and having a great time. Mauricio and all the staff by the pool are so much fun and full of great tips and information. We had a blast with them and loved their great attitudes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated with Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company. We work under an all-inclusive service in 54 deluxe hotel rooms and 109 fully equipped villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. With unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf. Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages - water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski as well as many one day tours that will take you to the many national parks and hide-away beaches in the area surrounding our resort. Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings. Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement. Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile & the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste