We were called from a company offering low rates at numerous resorts throughout the Caribbean,Mexico and a few other places including Costa Rica but we had to listen to a time share presentation. We chose Costa Rica and stayed at Villas Sol. The facility is 3 stories and sits on a hill like most all of the resorts in CR, so all the rooms have a beautiful view of water and sunsets. The room was very basic 2 double beds and a bathroom. It was very clean but the beds were very firm and the bathroom had no tub just a shower which was fine. Flat screen TV which offered several English speaking stations. WiFi was offered at a rate daily rate of $12.50, which we declined. We had a small refrigerator which was nice to keep drinks cold. Our only complaint was it was VERY hot, around 95 to 97 degrees and the air conditioning was not very good. We even had a difficult time sleeping because of the heat.
As far as the resort it had 2 pools and 2 bars. One buffet restaurant and one fine dining restaurant but you needed to pay extra for that restaurant and make reservations daily around 6:30 am as it is small and fills quickly. The food was good. Every night they had a differ theme..Caribbean, italian and Puerto Rican. They usually had least 2 meats to chose and lots of vegetables, rice and beans.
The activities all took place during the day, they included kayaking, snorkeling, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, bingo and several others. I never saw any night time entertainment. We went to a snorkeling trip and were most disappointed. The water was so cloudy in the area we went to that you couldn't see any marine life.
The resort offers free shuttles to everywhere on the property and they come every few minutes. The had a mini-mart on site as well as a gym and spa which we did not use.
The last night of our stay was a Friday and it was by far the most crowded day of the week. The bartender was working alone and really struggled to keep up with the orders. We had to wait to be seated at the buffet for about 40 minutes and after we were seated no one came to give us drinks or take away plates. The hostess gave us utensils and that was last we saw of any staff... They were significantly understaffed for the crowd. All other nights were great, no waiting and the service was excellent!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a development of 100% Costa Rican capital located on Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste on the northern Pacific Coast and managed by Promotora La Costa, a pioneer company in tourism development in Guanacaste. We are a 4-star resort, and have a Tourism Sustainability Certification (CST) of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and we are affiliated with Resort Condominium International RCI, being the only resort in Central America included in the Gold Crown category granted by this company. We work under an all-inclusive service in 54 deluxe hotel rooms and 109 fully equipped villas of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. With unbeatable view of Papagayo Gulf. Among many alternatives for entertainment and sports offered by Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, you’ll find a wide variety of activities for all ages - water sports (motorized & non motorized), sport fishing, diving, kayak & jet ski as well as many one day tours that will take you to the many national parks and hide-away beaches in the area surrounding our resort. Our great location makes not only our resort a great destination but also offers a convenient closeness to all major tours and activities taking place in the Guanacaste area and surroundings. Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort is a place for all ages and types of vacationer. A great choice for families traveling with children, single travelers, honeymooners, people looking for a relaxing vacation or those looking for fun and excitement. Our friendly, helpful staff welcome all guests with a “PURA VIDA” and a smile & the best service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sol Hotel And Beach Resort
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Playa Hermosa
- Hotel Sol Beach
- Sol Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Playa Hermosa Sol Hotel
- Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste