“great holiday”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
uk
“great holiday”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

we just had a week at the villa sol we were the only english people in from the 19th feb they were all spanish but we still had a good time they dont speak very good english when asked they said it was a spanish hotel,food not bad always just warm but you can use the micowave which we did rooms need a bit of t.l.c.but hotel itself was clean. and staff great.
terry @ ann mason
halesowen
west mids

Room Tip: the road is very busy so dont think it matters what room you stay in but sun on the side from 11.30a...
1 Thank terence m
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear terence m,

Some times we have more Costarican people at the hotel that foreigners, specially if is a holiday here. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay even when you were the only foreigner in hotel. Thank you for your comment! We hope that you come back soon.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
WETASKIWIN
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great place to stay friendly people great view of the beach great sun set clean rooms good pricie for rooms. But you will need a car or use taxie which are cheap. Great staff where help ful great restaurants whit in walking distant. Great for surfing

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert G
Dear Robert G,

Thank you for your comment! Very specific and informative. We hope that you come back soon.

Nerstrand, Minnesota
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Oh boy where do I start. At first glance it already appeared very tired and in need of updating. Everything was just so so. The people were nice but could of done more. We had several problems with our keycard not working. At one time I needed to go back 4 times up and down stairs to get the problem taken care of and it still wasn't fixed because it would stop working again. If it were me working I would have gone with the customer after the first encounter. But what do I know. I won't be back. The food. You have to go all inclusive. The first morning after i got up I was vomiting for an hour. They said the water was ok but I didn't go there and drink the water again. The food was poor at best but they did the best they could with what they had. We ended up going out to eat a few times to get away from it. The pools were pretty sad but who needs them when you have the ocean. The shuttle to the ocean was a nice perk. The minimart they had was poor. We went on a tour that was set up through the hotel and it was pretty nice. Their cleanliness at the bar had something to be desired. Overall even if it cost less I would not go there again. The weather was awesome.

Room Tip: The AC was good and I don't think there would be a bad view in the hotel. Views from our balcony...
2 Thank 2013unhappycampers
Dear 2013unhappycampers,

We sorry that your experience was not the best. Some people have problems with Costarican food, cause it is too seasoned. Water in Costa Rica is able to be drink it. We have been improve our service and we continue working in services everyday. I hope that you gives the oportunity to exceed your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Playa Hermosa hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first beach vacation. It was through an RCI exchange, and it was a hotel unit and not a Villa. The unit itself was very nice and very, very clean, and we had an amazing view of the bay from our balcony. There was also a mini-fridge, which was handy for cold juices.

We had some maintenance issues:
1 - The toilet at first wouldn't flush. It got repaired, and then it was a fountain and splashed all over the walls and floors. It got repaired a second time but we had to flush slowly to ensure there would be no splash.
2 - The hot water was completely missing for an entire day. I went to the front desk twice in the morning and each time they treated it as I was the only one with the problem and would bring someone to fix it. When we came back in the evening, there was still no hot water. We talked to another couple that also had that problem, and then another, so we realized it was the hotel building that had the problem and not just a unit. Went back to the desk and told them we talked to other guests. Only then did they acknowledge it was the entire hotel part that had no hot water and someone was working on it. 2 hours later (at around 10 pm) we finally had hot water.
3 - For 3 nights, there was no electricity for anything between 20 minutes to an hour in the entire complex. It was obvious it was a complex only issue, since all the other hotels and houses in the bay were all lit.
4 - The A/C stopped working for 1 full day, and this happened right after the electricity came back. So the A/C system had not reset itself after probably because of the surge. They fixed it a day later.

We had 2 RCI dedicated persons that were really nice, Jose and Gilbert (Palo Verde Boat Tours and the Alto Verde Cloud Forrest). While Jose helped us checking in, Gilbert was the one who helped us booking the tours and got us a shuttle to go to to airport at the end of our trip.

There is a gift shop operated by Britt Coffee on site which is nice. If you are looking for supplies though, the on-site little shop is not very good. So we took a mini trip to Playa Del Coco (20 dollars return for 2) and stopped at the Auto Mercado, which carries your typical North American food import (they even have a big gluten-free section which was really nice!).

One think that was really bad: internet connection. We could not connect. We tried to buy time (really expensive at 50 dollars for 5 days). So since we had an unlocked iPhone 4S with us, when we went to Playa Del Coco, we went to a store right next to Auto Mercado that was selling Kolbi SIM cards (their Government operated cell phone Company). Sim Card was about 2 dollars, and for about 18 dollars in loading after purchasing the card a(the lauding has to be done at Auto Mercado, not at the store), we got 1 Gig of data, which was more than enough for our 2 iPads for the week. So I would strongly suggest that Villas Sol includes Wi-fi complementary, especially that you cannot connect in your room but needs to be in specific areas of the hotel.

We did not eat on site. At 60 dollars all-inclusive through RCI, this was way too much as we do not drink alcohol. We ate on the beach in other hotels every day, for much cheaper (about 60 dollars a day for 2, not per person).

The beach itself is beautiful, no "undertow" current at all, very safe. Lots of locals enjoy over the weekend, which was nice to see. Almost no litter. You will not find surfers here, as the waves are not worth it for them (they go to Playa Del Coco or Jako). So no surfer dude crowd, which is also nice.

Very North Americanized for food. We found a guy selling Poutine and Smoked Meat sandwiches on the main road. For any real local food, try Ginger or go to Playa Del Coco, where some "sodas" (local shops) do sell beans and rice for breakfast and great local food for lunch.

All in all, the trip was ok. But with all the maintenance issues and the internet, I cannot put this in the <very good> rating, but instead have to do it as average.

If the regular hotel staff was as dedicated as Gilbert and Jose, then I would definitely would have put a <very good> rating.

Room Tip: Go eat at Restaurants on the beach vs. all inclusive, you will be glad you did.
1 Thank Patrick P
Asistente D, Gerente Residente at Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Patrick P,

We appreciate your comment. Is very completed about your experience. Our staff have been change it, don't worry Gilbert and Jose are still working with us, but we want to improve the service that our personal give to the guests. About the maintenance issues in the room, were repair it. And about energy, we sorry, but in that time we have some problems with Electricity Company. I just hope that you want to come back soon and give us the oportunity to change the image that you have about the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I visited in oct of 2012. We stayed in the hotel in a room on the third floor, The view was spectacular. It was an all inclusive deal, the food and drinks were average. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I was not too impressed by the beach, the water was dark. It was nice to have tour desk available within the hotel. The gift shop had very unique souvenirs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharkyslilbird
Dear Sharkyslilbird,

We have change since your visit to the hotel in October 2012. Maybe the comments don't show you that change, but I invite you to come again and see the changes by your self. Will be a pleasure to have you here.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We found to Villa Sol through RCI and spent just over 2 weeks there in a Villa. The villa was very nice. The first week we had all inclusive. I am not big on buffets, but the food was okay, especially the soups. Drinking by the pool and enjoying the view was most enjoyable. We did a sunset cruise that was very nice, we also went to the rain forest, but the highlight was the day trip to Nicaragua. That is something I would highly recommend. There were shuttles to take you to Playa Coca ($5 each way pp). There were also shuttles that took you to your Villas and ran every 15 minutes most of the time. There was no place to sit while waiting for the shuttles except at the hotel. They stopped at night way too early considering how beautiful the evenings are. But we never needed a ride back to our villa that one was not provided for us. The drivers of the shuttles were good and a couple were extra special. I have bad knees and they would take me right to our door...... much appreciated. Our concierge was Andrei......very cute and friendly too. I am sure he was happy to see me go. I called him for everything, even at home, and always felt he was never too busy for me. He helped make our stay one of the best vacations we have had. My big deal breaker about this resort is that there was no internet. I paid $60 for one week and was not able to ever use it. Fabian from the front desk was so helpful and tried everything to help me. He was awesome. The staff definitely makes this place and are probably the reason I would go back.

3 Thank IrisFay
Dear IrisFay,

Was a pleasure for us that you choose our hotel for spend your weeks. We hope that you come back soon.

Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I spent almost 2 hours at VILLAS SOL listning to them triyng to sell me a timeshare, as part of a deal to get a cheaper tour to Nicaragua.
Then I had to get up at 4 in the morning to be at the place specified, to get picked up and go on my tour.
But nobody came to pick me up. I waited for more than half an hour, in the dark, alone. Not so pleasant.
Later when I told them this, they could'nt care less. They still wanted the entire price of the tour. No discounts or anything for my inconveniance, just a shrug.

That is no way to treat people.
And then the boss of the place I booked my tour. The TOUR INFORMATION IN COCO BEACH said it was my own fault, for staying in a cheap hotel.
Thank you very much for differenciating people. So I would NOT have been treeted like this if I had stayed in a more expensive hotel. Very nice indeed.

So I can only say to everyone. Do not use either Villas Sol or the Info Center on the street in Coco beach. They do not care!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Britt266
Dear Britt266,

My sincerest apologies about your situation, we already did the changes we needed for this not happen again. We hope to have the opportunity to change the image you have about the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Hermosa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!