Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort
Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$115
  • Pool
Hotel ManGaby(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$88
Hotel & Villas Huetares(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$84
Condovac la Costa(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Pool
Villa del Sueno(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$77
  • Pool
Villa Acacia(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$120
$80
Orbitz.com
Hotel El Velero(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
$89
La Gaviota Tropical(Playa Hermosa)
TripAdvisor
1,339 results
All reviewsswim up barall inclusive packagea la carte restaurantbedroom villaswiss travelcosta ricanegative reviewsprivate poolpura vidaeach mealbeans and ricenice resorthot springsnight liferainy seasonpineapplebeautiful country
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stayed at Villas Sol Feb. 20-27 2012.This is an amazing place.The service here is great,they go out of they're way to please you.The views here from anywhere on the resort are spectacular.The food and selection were good.The restaurant was never crowded and the service was always excellent.The pools always had chairs available.The whole resort was kept very clean.The daytime activities were very entertaining,the girl running the bingo was awesome.There are a lot of daily activities for adults and kids,but not much for evening entertainment.
The beach sand is dark but comfortable for walking on.The waves can be a dangerous at times.
Most of the staff speak very good english.
The rooms were kept clean.They do things a bit different from other resorts,if you hang up your towels they won't be replace them,they have to be left on the floor.If you want your bedding changed you have to place a card on the bed.The room comes with a mini fridge,which you can use,but they don't stock it.The room safe is free.There is a coffee maker in the room ,but they don't always leave coffee packets.
The resort is on a hill with lots of up and downhills,we like to go for long walks on the beach and on the hilly resort,when we got tired there was always a shuttle a few minutes away to pick us up.
We found the excursions somewhat expensive-most around $100 per person.
All the staff here are extremly friendly and helpfuI, however,I do agree with another reviewer that Chuck from the timeshare meeting is rude ,he is the only deceitful ,unfriendly person that we came across.
We had Lydjah as our rep,she was fantastic.She helped us with anything we needed.
We did the timeshare presentation,it took about 3 hours.In exchange we got the sailboat sunset tour and some discounts for other services.On the day we were to sail they informed us that something on the boat broke,in exchange for the tour we were given 2 massages and a cab ride to Coco and back.
If you have 3 hours to kill and you're good at saying no,you can get some freebies.I wouldn,t recommend buying the timeshare(not a good deal in my opinion)
Liberia airport charges $28 per person exit tax.The food at the airport is expensive $13 for a burger,$8 for a bottle of water.
Overall this has been our best vacation,best service,friendliest people.Everyone we talked to were very happy here,all except for one old hag who mumbled something about having a master on duty at all times(whatever that means)

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here Feb 20-27, 2012. We booked getting a great deal $1000 each taxes included. Before I booked I did my research and read a lot of reviews on trip advisor looking for consistency in the "negative reviews" to get the real scoop on things. I was very happy with my decision to go.

I have laughed at some of the negative stuff which comes from people who don't travel outside of the USA or have not done an all inclusive before. For those people, if you want Vegas standard food and large extravagant rooms then make sure to book a 5 star. Pack a travel mug, as every all inclusive will serve you a small cup at the pool. This has been my 7th all inclusive vacation, going to Costa Rica, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Mexico (ranging from 3 1/2 star to 5 star). With that said I would say this place is a solid 4 star as most 5 stars usually have more variety of buffet food.

Now you will read about the resort being on a steep hill and the beach is a bit of a hike. Yes it is! There is a shuttle to get around and you maybe waiting about 5 minutes (I waited 15 minutes just once). The beach itself is not the most inviting because of the darker sand, I knew this by reading about it and was OK with it. The beach is nice to walk but know that the resort does not own the beach so you will not get beach service from the resort down there.

There are only 2 bars on the resort but the service and drinks are top notch. There are only 2 pools but the bigger one with the swim-up bar is the place to be. The food I found to be very good in the buffet (with limited variety as I mentioned already), and the A la Carte was excellent (you are given 2 vouchers for your week there but I managed to go there 3 times because I loved it so much and a smile can get you far in life.)

The entire staff and management are top notch. They take pride in their work, are very sincere and friendly (and not bad to look at).

My hotel room was standard and a decent size. It was cleaned very well each day and not a single bug all week. The safe is good, the mini-fridge was empty (I bought a 12 pack of beer for $10) and they give you 2 huge bottles of water that is $2.50 if you want them. These are a couple of things to know about so you are not disappointed. I seen reviews saying there is no hot water. My wife and I both showered twice a day with no shortage. The A/C worked great. We got the 3rd floor when I was supposed to get the 1st floor. They moved us up right at check-in because I asked nicely.

We did the Borinquen excursion, through swiss travel on the resort. That was an awesome time of horseback riding, zip-lining, and mud baths. Ronald was awesome!!

We met a lot of great people from Canada and USA while we were there which added to our week.

One downside I had about the resort was that there were no snacks in the evening, but we just made sure we ate a lot at dinner. Hope my review was helpful!!!

5  Thank crazy-caper
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Nice resort. The rooms were good. The food was better. The views can't be beat.

We spent a week at the Villas Sol resort on an all inclusive vacation. At no time were we pressured to take the time share tour. It was mentioned at check in, and never brought up again. The room we had was nice. We didn't spend much time there, so it didn't need to be great. The view from the balcony was incredible. I spent my mornings there, listening to the monkeys, birds and ocean waves.

The food was wonderful. Costa Rican food, in general, is not as varied as food here, but was prepared well. Fresh pineapple, canteloupe, watermelon and papaya at each meal. In the mornings, at your request, they even made smoothies from said fruit.

The grounds and pools were well kept. We aren't drinkers, but the few drinks we did have were fine with us.

Our only possible complaint were the shuttles. On the days we toured, we sometimes felt like we may not make it to the meeting point in time. We never had a problem, but the worry kind of stressed me out a little. When we weren't on a schedule, it was no big deal to wait a few minutes for the shuttle. Understand in Costa Rica, they are not in as big a hurry as we always are here. IF you can keep that in mind during your trip, you'll have a much better time. It's vacation folks...lighten up a little.

Pura Vida!!!!

3  Thank jduke2817
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was our second visit to Costa Rica. Last year we stayed at the other end of Playa Hermosa Beach in a villa. Very quiet and secluded. Villa Sol was quite the opposite. More a resort. Loved the pool area. The activites that were scheduled everyday at the pool were great. They had an activity for every age. The staff was fantastic and energetic. The view was breathtaking. We stayed in a studio room. Was disappointed when we arrived and I took my shoes off to go barefoot. Came away with black feet. Beds not very comfortable. The staff in the dining room were very pleasant and always had a smile. The food was good and they had a theme night for your choices of food. Breakfast was great!! Be prepared to walk up steep hills. They do provide transit to and from different locations. We booked several tours through Swiss tours. No other way to see Costa Rica. They get you to your destination and even make an occasional stop to see the wildlife. Will be back to Costa Rica in the future.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better view you have of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Terry B
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We just got back 3 days ago! Costa Rica is awesome.

Villas Sol is good but not great. It was worth the $400 half off depot voucher that we purchased for 4 nights. (half off depot is like Groupon).
If you think of it as a 3 star hotel you won't be disappointed. If you think you're going to the Ritz, you'll be upset.

The rooms are not all the same. We went with friends and their room was a LOT nicer than our room. This property is very safe and great views. The employees are very friendly and nice but response from the front desk is SLOW.

The food there is pretty good but the liquor is lower quality rum, etc.

I will warn that the reservation process (through their Orlando corp office, I think) seems really shady. They obviously want to qualify prospects to buy time shares.

We connected with an American living there that owns a tour company who was outstanding. She hooked us up with a zip line tour, a river boat ride in crocodile waters where we fed monkeys, and some other things. Check Amy out at [--].
We did NOT use the folks at the hotel to set-up any of our excursions.

For $400 I'd say DO IT if the airfare is OK for you. However, be cautious of this sleezy reservation process.

Good luck and have fun!