“I love Villa Sol Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Calgary, Canada
“I love Villa Sol Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We returned recently from a wonderful holiday at Villa Sol Hotel in Costa Rica. We enjoyed our stay at Villas Sol greatly. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant and our room faced with a fabulous view. If you tire of the buffet, there are hamburgers, pizza, salad fruit and tacos available around the pool bar.

I am totally impressed by the staff’s friendly and helpful service that made our holiday a good memory in our life time even Costa Rica does not owe a milky like beach.

The first night we were arrived around 10:00 pm. All the restaurants and snack bar were closed. Later, we talked with other travelers from the other hotel and learned that Costa Rica did not have night entertainments. One of the staff spared his time after work, accompanied us to the nearby restaurants.

We also had problems with the other time sharing salesman from the other resorts that our holiday was spoiled. Fortunately, the staff of Villa Sol spent hours to help us to solve the problems.

Room Tip: I like hotel
1 Thank Susan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

Bought eversave.com deal for this resort. Spent 5 days and 4 nights there. Went with my wife for xmas vacation! I have to say, the Resort was beautiful! Amazing views! Awesome food and drinks! The only problem we experienced was that when we reached our room and tried to take shower there was no hot water. We called concierge and they sent a maintenance man up to see what was wrong. Maintenance man said it was working so we believed him. The next day we had early tour leaving at 5:30 in morning. When we got into shower, the water was freezing! We called the supposedly 24-hour concierge and no one answered. We decided that we would take quick showers and call concierge when we got back. After the tour, we called consierge and they sent a maintenance man up to see what was wrong again. This was around 11 pm! He told us that breaker was not working and that he could not do anything because breaker was in the room next to us and he could not wake up the guests and said he would go into room in morning and fix it. The next morning we tried to shower and still had no hot water. This was the 2nd day of trip. The maintenance came up and fixed it without needing to go into next room. The only problem now was that the water would be hot for only a minute, then turn lukewarm for the rest of the time. My wife and I decided just to deal with it since half of the stay was over.

Everyone who worked at resort was good except for reception desk! They were of no help! My wife and I booked a tour to Nicaragua through the hotel. They told us that the tour would return back in time for dinner, however, The tour returned back to the hotel at 11pm. There were about 15 of us from the resort who booked this trip through the hotel. We asked the receptionist what we could do about getting some food and he told us that everything was closed and he could not do anything to get us food. He was basically useless

Other than that there was plenty to do at the resort from sports to beaches. Our villa room was small and the beds were not very comfortable. Anytime we moved in bed it would shake and squeak. Also if you are looking to do anything at the resort after 10pm, good luck because there is nothing to do! Your best bet would be to take around trip taxi to and from coco beach for $30!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank atoolio
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Returned recently from a wonderful holiday in Costa Rica. We enjoyed our stay at Villas Sol immensely. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. Particularly appreciated the high quality of food. Especially the rotating theme for the Main Buffet. The variety of food was excellent and very well prepared. Villas Sol is only minutes to the beach with a wonderful view. We would highly recommend this property for a relaxing holiday.

6 Thank Furmint
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Just came back from Costa Rica on December 13, 2011, I stayed at Villas Sol and was very disappointed. The location is great, very peaceful, the staff were very helpful and friendly especially Jose Maria from the restaurant. Our first day we had a problem with our room, we reserved a room In the Hotel not the villas (the villas were too far from the restaurants and the main desk) but we had a villa and they keep telling us that they were booked which we did not believe. Finally around 6pm we overheard a couple complaining about the fact they reserved a villa not a hotel room and told them that we switch room with them.
Secondly sewers told that we would be able to use Wi Fi, but we were ready to use the internet and found out that we had to pay$10.00 per day and $8.00 per 2 hrs.while the hotel next door we were able to use Internet for $2.00 per hour.
We came back to the room one day found the floor was not clean, I called the housekeeper who was next door and gave me the broom and tried to give me the mop to clean the floor, I could not believe it.
Also beware of the staff trying to sell you "timesharings", this is a scam. First they to
D us that they were going to talk to us about membership for this resort and i specifically told them that if this was a timeshare please let me know befor I waste my time because I already own a timeshare unit in the US. After sitting for an hour, I was furious at them and the manager had the nerve to get mad at us. I gave thematic piece of my mind.
The food was OK, the view from the main restaurant was worth a million bucks. They need to have entertainment at night in case the guests don't want to go to CoCo beach a night for entertainment.

Room Tip: This NOT a 4 star Hotel. Very deceiving
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank tachaNy
Rockville Centre, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

The views are beautiful, the birds are beautiful, and the people are friendly. The food at this resort was horrible. They do not have a great selection to choose from and only have one restaurant that you can eat at, which serves the same food every day. The liquor at the bar is cheap and does not have a variety of liquor. I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom Villa due to the hotel being sold out which was great, however the room was run down and not kept up well at all. The spa was one room about the size of a bathroom and freezing cold. The women doing the massages were clearly not professional and just rubbed lotion all over me in the cole for 90 minutes. The beach is public (all beaches in costa rica are) and was not kept up well at all. There was yellow caution tape everywhere, no lounge chairs, nothing appealing at all. There was nothing to eat after 10pm. There were periods of times throughout the day (between meals) where you could not get anything to eat until the next meal was served except for from the snack bar where the food was cold, and dry. It was cold nachos, dried beans, and franks and hamburgers only for snack.

I purchased a 4 night deal through Living Social for this resort, and did not pay much for it, so I was not surprised that I didn't get much in return. I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor before coming on the trip but due to the fact that the deal was pretty good, the flights were cheap and there were other people going on the trip, I decided to try to give it the benefit of the doubt. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a quality resort. If you just want to enjoy costa rica and go on the tours which were great, and eat at Coco Beach (the only area to go to restaurants and clubs) and you just will be sleeping here, then I think it is worth it. But if you want to be at a resort where you can eat, drink and relax well this is not the place.

Room Tip: If you do not want to have to walk up and down hills stay in the Hotel not a Villa.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank TravelDiva1980

Travelers are raving about these Playa Hermosa hotels

Oxnard, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

We got a great deal on this luxurious resort as it was offered as a choice on my friends time share. There were many positives and only some small negatives.
The place was immaculate and very well kept. Our villa was huge with a fabulous view. This being said, they operated as if they had just opened and some snags were being worked out. There was a big snafu with our check-in and because of this we were offered the all inclusive package at a big discount.
The food was, across the board, phenomenal and if you are looking for an all inclusive I would recommend this place. Breakfast included an omelette bar, fresh batidos, and make it yourself Bloody Marys. The dining room service was attentive and congenial. We ate most meals here and used the kayaks.There was no yoga or pilates as stated on the web site, a disappointment and the hot tub was not hot, at all, other than that this place couldn't be better. The beach here is nice with a lot of shaded area, It is hampered somewhat by an obnoxious ex-pat selling inflated massages. The water is calm enough for enjoyable kayaking and swimming.There are some things to do nearby, we were glad we had a car to explore. The swim-up bar was divine. All of the staff were courteous and friendly. I could have stayed here forever. I have never been to an all inclusive resort before. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: The rooms vary quite a bit. Ask to see the room, if possible, If you don't like it insist in a c...
5 Thank KristiKN
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I was a little leery of this spot because I read so many poor reviews, but the hotel here really did not deserve them. The rooms are large and comfortable with nice balconies. The service was good. The all-inclusive buffet, which had earned several complaints, was good. Mind you, the selection at the buffet was not as extensive as the spreads at other all-inclusives I've visited. But the food was tasty and plentiful. If you tire of the buffet, there are hamburgers and snacks available by the pool. The views are fantastic. The beach is relatively far away down a steep hill, so you need to take a shuttle there and back. It's a public beach, so there will be people waiting to pounce on you as soon as you arrive to try and sell you stuff. But it's a nice beach, there are plenty of chairs and it was not crowded when I visited. There's not much around the resort, so if you don't have a car your options away from the resort are fairly limited. The Wi-Fi situation was pretty bad, though. It costs $10 a day and it's not particularly reliable. It does help you to stay unplugged and relax and enjoy your surroundings, though.

2 Thank reebster
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,973 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Villas Sol Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!