New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Villa Acacia

Villa Acacia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Las Salinas, Nicaragua
“This place was a perfect piece of heaven for me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Not sure where to start with this review so I will do my best. We arrived early after a horrible night in Playa Coco, the owner of the Acacia greeted us, showed us the rooms, and we upgraded to a villa not because the other rooms weren't enough but because the villas have a kitchen and I wanted to cook. We needed a taxi and weren't sure how to fetch one, so the owner told us not to worry and he arranged for us a free ride to get to the grocery store. We came back and I enjoyed the pool area and the luscious grounds this place sits on. I thought the villas were very nicely made, extremely clean and well kept. The furniture in the villas as well as the decor is made from some really good quality wood, and excellent taste. The dishes were clean, the bathrooms were clean as well as the place smelt great. I couldn't smell any odors that were mentioned below in another review. This place was truly wonderful and I was sad to leave. The first breakfast was free and the second breakfast I had I was suppose to pay for but I was told by the girl at the desk to not worry about it but to make sure we came back. I was very impressed with how professional and kind the staff was, this made our stay so much nicer. They even gave us separate pool towels. The breakfast was great. We also enjoyed playing with the pet iguanas. I absolutely can not think of anything but positive praise for this place. It was heavenly and I enjoyed staying here and would for surly go back. I have so many photos of this place that its hard to choose the best ones to upload.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I don't even know where to start... the villas are really dirty (the bottom of your feet become black in the minute by walking inside of your room, the inside of the fridge looks terrible and smells bad, the furnitures are covered with dust and lizard dungs and I guarantee you won't feel like using the kitchenwares), the employees yell at each other, the towels are not replaced, the price is way too high and the breakfast is not even included and really minimalistic for 7$. There are also simple rooms, but they are even worse (everything is falling apart) and still very expensive. At least the garden is well taken care of...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fenisk
Coal Valley, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We upgraded to a Villa. Superb. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast each morning. The staff is the most hard working employees we have ever met. The young women serve the breakfast and then start cleaning rooms. The grounds keepers work from early morning until late in the afternoon. Look at the pictures. They are true to your experience. Just beautiful. The diner served fabulous pizza (thin crust). The manager was always kind never pressuring people using the internet to purchase food or drink. The pool is maintained all day. The beach is literally two blocks away. We tipped our staff just two dollars a day and we were treated like royalty. We will DEFINITELY return!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rox6415
Cape May, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Extremely pleasant stay at Villa Acacia. The grounds are well kept and the rooms are very nice and the staff is very friendly. The pool was probably my favorite that I encountered on my entire trip and there was good parking. The only negative comment would be about the restaurant. It is a nice area but is really in need of organization. I have high hopes for Villa Acacia, if they can get the restaurant in order it will be a truly excellent resort.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edward D
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

A fine place to stay, could be better. We were given a place in the far corner away from everyone. They said all the other villas were taken, but people were never there. Place could be great...witht a little work. fine for price.

Pros: the price, the gardens, the front desk girl, the friendly gardeners, private space, kitchen for long term guests

Cons: Villas 7 and 8, the owners outdoor gym equipment, the bathroom (smell), the safes.

Room Tip: Not villas 7 or 8 - DEF not 8!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrooklynDanNYC
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in one of the "villas". Although the grounds are lovely and well maintained (2 gardeners seemingly full time!) the villas themselves are dated. The structures are beautifully made but the furnishings were nothing special. Surprisingly actually, because with some small investments, these could be really top of the line and they could charge a premium. The bathroom is another story - it stinks. Literally. It smells like a port-a-pottie. With the door closed and some imagination, it was not a deal breaker but it is not at minimum US bathroom standards.

Also not great: The safe was well, unsafe. It was a cheap-o unit that could be easily removed from the room and was locked only with a tiny luggage lock! Be prepared to carry your valuables with you or get creative with hiding things. The area may look a little sketchy to the average U.S. bear but it was actually quite safe.

That said, the location and staff were great. The woman (young lady?) at the front desk was especially helpful and we loved being a block from the beach. Having the little villa and seating area with rocking chairs outside was wonderful.

A nice home away from home at Playa Hermosa but if you've got the bones, stay down the beach at Bosque Del Mar - but this is pretty great for 1/2 the price if you can stomach the bathroom and have a plan for stashing your valuables.

Owners: fix it up and you've got a first class hotel on your hands!

Room Tip: Spring for the villas - it's worth the extra money. Watch out for villas 7&8 which overlook...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ovelocityo
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

First, the positive...nice grounds, proximity to beach and restaurants, and nice pool. Pretty tranquil, in total. However, the management created unnecessary stress for me, my family and staff - around breakfast and pre-payments, etc. Management treatment of staff in front of us almost ruined our entire experience. I would not returned, even if I got a 50% discount. Life, let alone vacations, is too short. En resumen, una estrella

Room Tip: stay away, be warned of rude management toward staff
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family