“Incredible Staff, Beautiful Hotel!”
Review of Villa del Sueno

Villa del Sueno
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Had to take a minute and let you know about our experience at the Villa Del Sueno. We were in Playa Hermosa to scuba dive and we had the dive company set up our hotel arrangements (Diving Safari's). I had looked it up online and of course read numerous reviews. I think I had a preconceived idea of what to expect however I was completely wrong. The company reserved the Standard Rooms and a lot of reviews we looked at were pretty harsh as far as those rooms go. I have to say I have a very high standard when it comes to hotels and I was disappointed when I saw the reviews however I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I got to the hotel.

The standard room is very small. There is no doubt about that however I stayed at two other hotels in the area before coming to this one and I have to say at least everything worked! The AC worked excellent and kept us comfortable! Now understand that it was 90 degrees and about 80 - 90 percent humidity while we were there. When we opened the door we were met by a cool room. Every other hotel up to that point that definitely was not the case. Most hotels you had to put your room card into a device near the door so the AC would work. When you left the room the AC was off. Talk about returning to a hot uncomfortable room! This place was different and it was very refreshing.

The beds are not the best hotel beds that I have ever slept on but they were comfortable, CLEAN, and the room was made up every morning. We spent substantially more at our previous place and we would return to the room at 5 pm and the room still hadn't been taken care of. The bathroom was small but the shower was very nice and the water pressure was excellent! It had a granite counter top and again was CLEAN! If you have been in Costa Rica before that is a hard thing to say since its always dusty and dirty. Now at the end of the day if you walked around barefooted at times there was a little dust in the room on the floor but again thats more common in Costa Rica then most expect I guess. NO TV! yes no tv in the standard room and I am the guy that has to have the tv on to fall asleep (typically). Wasn't an issue here. The hotel at night time is beautifully lit and even though it was the dry season the landscaping and outdoor space at the hotel is awesome. The pool isn't the biggest one in the area but it was CLEAN and well maintained. The have a live band there a couple days a week and people from all over travel to the hotel and it was fun.

The staff. Cant say enough about the staff. We arrived at 8 am since we had to check out of our other hotel and was going to move here since we were diving. The other big named hotel's check in was at 3 pm. We arrived at 2:35 and they would not allow us to check in until after 3. I figured we would have to leave our baggage and computers and other stuff in our rental car in the parking lot since it was so early. Without prompting and without hesitation they gave us our room key and allowed us to put our stuff in the room even though it wasn't even close to check in time. Didn't charge a dime more and just wanted to make sure we were taken care of. Again, very rare for Costa Rica since very few of the other hotels will do that. The breakfast is not included in the price of the room but it wasn't at any of the other hotels we stayed at. The American breakfast however was about $6 (about what we pay at home) but it was excellent. The home made marmalade was incredible. The waiter learned my name the first day and he greeted me and my wife every morning and at night (yes they work all day) with a big smile and of course a hug. Cant say enough about them. Made us feel like we were the most important customers that they had even though hotel was nearly full and made us feel like family. To me that was worth the smaller room with no TV.

I would highly recommend this place if you want a quiet, quaint, romantic place to stay. The amenities are not the same as the bigger hotels but I would pay twice the money to be treated they way they treated me and my wife and stay in an even smaller room if I had to. They EARNED my business, my respect, and my loyalty. Thats hard to say these days. They do have other rooms by the way that have all of the other things amenities as well.

Loved the place and will stay there from now on. Thanks for treating us like family and please let all the wait staff know how thankful we are!! Pura Vida!!
Gary and Staci Powell

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gary P

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here after being turned away from Ginger (apparently you need reservations and/or need to be a wealthy looking older couple to get a table there). The service was exceptional and we were seated right away. The food was not mind blowing, but was better than a lot of what we had previously encountered elsewhere in Coco/Hermosa. Mostly American fare similar to what you might find at an upscale MidWestern supper club. We all had steaks or pasta dishes and had no complaints. We enjoyed the live music, and the general ambience of the place was cozy and inviting. Would definitely recommend this place if you're looking for a good meal. A bit pricey though.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Room are small but comfortable, equiped with AC, wifi available only at the swimming pool. Playa hermosa haas not a lot of options for dining and it is quiet far from the other beaches.
Breakfast is extra and exceptional.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I am so sorry I picked this hotel, I usually depend on l Trip advisor,
The bed was the worse ever. The room so small you could barely turn around.
The bartender Ron was excellent. The people behind the bar before would even give you a cup of ice water. And to top it off they wanted $3 for a safe.
The grounds are lovely, as are the pools, but if you don't want a back ache, move on, that is all I can tell. We have been coming to Playa Hermosa for years, there are lovely hotels, and much better value. They they will try to do is up sell you to a suite, and I was told the beds were just as bad there!!
They do have a great band Sun, Tues. not sure the other night. but they expect you to have dinner, and the dinners are very pricey. you can make reservation for dessert and listen to the band, not sure it is needed as the place was almost empty.

Room Tip: book another hotel..
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xenia1128
Reviewed February 15, 2014

What we liked about this hotel was its ambience and location. It's a lovely property, with gardens and two different pools, and attractive buildings with the main hotel, and villas across the street. And it's just 25 minutes from the airport (the hotel arranged a driver who picked us up outside customs, $50 for the two of us), ...and then just 3-5 minutes walk to Playa Hermosa, which is a wonderful beach!

We enjoyed eating breakfast in the restaurant/patio that opens onto the gardens, delicious meal and great service (for $6 per person, plus tax...not included in room price). We also enjoyed the live music, which was quite good,(great for dancing, or just listening to, and ended early enough it didn't disrupt our sleep), and it was fun at night, with the lights in the garden creating a festive atmosphere. And there is art work around the property. And we enjoyed hanging out by the pool (one pool had very good wifi connection). The hotel was fairly empty, with mostly American and Canadian retirees (some of whom stayed at a villa across the street, which I think they may have owned as a time/share or condominium).

We lucked out on a lovely spacious room. We'd reserved a standard room, on second floor above pool as Trip Advisor folks had recommended, and for reasons I don't understand, the standard room was not available, so we were given a free upgrade to a superior room, and initially had a large spacious room with two queen beds, and good-sized bathroom. (Maybe the hotel was so empty they were trying to concentrate guests into the superior rooms).

However, there were problems with the shower and the maintenance was unable to fix within 24-36 hours, so we switched rooms, and our second "superior" room was much smaller. (And the bill initially charged us full price for that room, until I pointed out the mistake, and then they quickly corrected it).

And the other drawback (so maybe I should rate it 3 not 4) was that the hotel restaurant was very expensive, even more than our expensive meal at La Finistera. (And the food was fine, but not worth the price). And there were high charges for getting a pepsi from the gift shop, all added to the room bill So, while it can be a good value place to stay, you have to be careful about the extra charges. (And if I was rating the restaurant, I'd give it a 5 for breakfast and a 3 for dinner...though the live music was fun) (I still rated it a good value hotel overall, given that other hotels on the beach seemed more expensive)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julia I
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed in a unit with a kithen and were able to cook our own meals if we wanted to, even though we ate at their restaurant for breakfasts once in a while and had dinners at their restaurant. We had a deck with a hammock and it was very private. You can see that upkeep is maintained and everything is clean and wll thought out.
We didn't have to move much. The beach is a few minutes walk away, with barely any tourists. The pool is outside the door...large, surrounded by jungle like folliage, with wildlife sounds resonating, well maintained and very private.
Fabulous restaurant: food was well prepared, nice wine list, superiour service. The music was so much fun....a bit of everything with a dance floor. Even people who don't dance were dancing.
Highly recomend!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed in one of the suites for four nights. The suites have the feel of being individually owned condominiums or could be individually owned. There are a series of two story buildings that surround a central courtyard which contains the larger of two swimming pools. The courtyard is well maintained, has lots of plants and flowers, and allows for the relative privacy of each patio or upper story deck. We spent early mornings and late evenings having breakfast, reading, or relaxing on the patio. It's a beautiful place, and the suites are great for families. The beach is just one block from the hotel and can easily be reached by foot. The hotel has a nice restaurant with good food and good service. The dinner portions left us wanting more, but the breakfast portions were more in line with the price. There is a pizza place just up the street which is worth at least one try. Also, the suites have a full kitchen, and we took advantage of the supermarket in town to buy breakfast items and food for one evening meal. Playa Hermosa is a relatively quiet and family friendly beach. A great place to spend a winter's vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family