New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Dalton GA
“A place to truly relax!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Right on the beach with sunsets that will make you want to never leave, with a cold drink in your hand in a comfortable chair on the beach with your toes in the sand,not a care in the world watching the sun slowly sinking into a golden sea! This is one of those places that you start planning to come back to before you even leave. Wonderful staff and the owner is a true gentleman.Sure there are five star resorts in the area and the only reason I didn't put a 5 on El Velero is because there are places with more amenities.....and to be fair to them and the people that want to spend a ton of money to feel like they have done something special I held one back. But I can't for the life of me think of one reason to spend loads of cash for things I would never really enjoy! El Velero is pure enjoyment at a more than reasonable price. Well maintained & really clean with a restaurant that is outstanding! You'll feel like you are staying with good friends the whole time you are there. I spend lots of time in Costa Rica and have been to a lot of places.... But El Velero is at the top of my list for recommendations on places to stay! I'm a photo pro and my camera loved this place make sure you check out the photos..... even did a few HDR!

Room Tip: Try to get a second story ocean view room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank acpickard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Twin Lakes, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My fiancé and I travel to Costa Rica often, but stayed in Hotel Velero for the 1st time in March, 2014. The rooms were clean and comfortably cool with wonderful hot water. The maid service was prompt and trustworthy. Food was good, and I think reasonably priced dinners for beach front hotels!!! The coffee is awesome (love CR coffee) and all shifts of bar/restaurant people knew our name by day 2 and always addressed us with a smile and our 1st names. Sadly, I received news about a death of my best friend of 30 years, the staff consoled me and the front desk made various phone calls to the airlines, and helped to get my flights changed to get me home for the funeral. I couldn't have had nicer more concerned people to deal with. It was an amazing experience. IF you can call it a problem: Wifi in rooms didn't work well if at all, they were trying to fix it while we were there, never got it resolved BUT always had strong signal in bar area and seating looking toward the beach. Honestly, least of my worries when I am in Costa Rica :)

I happened to visit CR again in May. This time staying with my brother but every morning walked the beach to have my breakfast and coffee at Hotel Velero. They not only recognized me, but asked where my fiancé was...and also asked "how did things go with your friend". I was there for 8 days in March.... they made me feel like it was 8 weeks by the way they remembered me. Ive also been told by locals that the staff has been there many years, that says something for a business!!! Muchas Gracias!!!! ~ Barbara y Roberto, PA.

Room Tip: they have 2nd floor beach front rooms....I thought I wanted one of those until I got 1st floor, no s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BarbRobert
Tronodora
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We on arrived May 24, 2014, at about 8 PM after we fled another hotel (at the end of the beach) where we originally had reservations. The people at El Velero immediately jumped in and helped to make our first night at the beach memorable. We live in the mountains in Costa Rica and had just returned from a 2 week trip to the Galapagos and just wanted to wind down for 3 nights before heading home. And this was a great place to do so. The hotel is clean and obviously cared for...I got up at 6 AM and saw a man actually cleaning up the beachfront as well as the pool. The paint is fresh, the air conditioning cold, the shower is hot, and the service was wonderful. There are only two suggestions: replace all the ceiling fans (and put ceiling-hugging fans in the beachfront rooms) and get the wifi working better (that is an easy thing to do...you can contact us and my husband will do it for you in exchange for free boarding!). That being said we DID have wifi in the rooms but they had a few problems maintaining the connection...a simple fix for sure. Oh, and for those of you who live in Costa Rica and know how hard it is to find wonderful pancakes, go to El Velero and you'll leave happy!

Room Tip: You don't have to have beachfront to hear the waves: We had to change from a beachfront to anot...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

While searching for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach in Playa Hermosa, I came across El Velero. On arrival, I found a friendly, quiet, older hotel right on the beach with everything we required - clean, spacious rooms with air conditioning, wi-fi, safe. I had booked 2 rooms, one with a king bed, one with 2 queens and both were comfortable - located on the second floor. There is a veranda overlooking the beach on this floor with comfortable seating as well as a number of books for reading. We spent our evening after dinner just enjoying the sound of the surf and an evening shower complete with a fireworks-like display courtesy of a huge lightning strike in the ocean. While breakfast is not included with the room, there is a restaurant which also offers nightly specials. Definitely on our "places to return" list.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

A quaint cozy hotel with a beautiful beach and fantastic reasonably priced dining. The staff were a cheerful and eager to please team of professionals. Management was eager to assist with our excursions and activities. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This place was amazing.....not a five star by any means but the owner and staff made up for any luxuries the hotel lacked. Clean, friendly and on the beach. The food was outstanding as well. We had stayed at an all inclusive up the beach but were forced to extend our stay when the hurricanes hit Miami and our flight was canceled. What a find.... a third of the price and a way better experience....If I do it again this is where I will be.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank falconer2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We enjoyed a breakfast and lovely dinner while on a family vacation. The "Typical breakfast" was great with wonderful fruit and the juices were especially tasty, We came back for dinner a few nights later and sat at a table on the beach to enjoy the sunset. The seafood was terrific - very fresh and prepared just right. My husband had yellow fin tuna - cooked exactly as he requested and well seasoned. Service was attentive but not intrusive, making the whole experience enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#1 of 2 in Playa Panama
4.0 of 5 stars 469 reviews

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!