“Great service and location at a fair price”
Review of Hotel El Velero

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
“Great service and location at a fair price”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We traveled for a week in Costa Rica and then arrived at El Velero for our last three nights in country. We had eaten at the El Velero restaurant but had never stayed here. We made the reservation by phone about 5 days before arrival and had a bit of a language problem with the reservation but "Joshua" stepped in and took care of it. We got excellent service from "Jenero" in the restaurant every night. "Mike", the owner, went out of his way to make our stay memorable. This place just felt like home.

We had a nice clean room and had breakfast and dinner there for all three days. El Velero made a perfect home base for touring around the Coco area as we wound down to return home.

We will absolutely stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mel N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Having recently retired, I traveled to Costa Rica on November 12th to spend several weeks in search of the perfect community to relocate to. My plan was to spend no more than 2 or 3 nights in any one area. But then I arrived at Hotel El Velero and found myself staying for 6 days.
I cannot begin to convey how great the owner, the management, and entire staff is. It seemed that within a few hours of arrival the entire staff knew me by name. I soon realized why some of the guests I met at their awesome beachside restaurant & bar told me they had been staying there annually for 12 years or longer. The rooms are impeccably spotless and well decorated. The food is amazing and in the evenings fills up with locals & expats who live in the area and dine there frequently. The BBQs they have poolside on Wed. & Sat. nights offer incredible selections from lobster, fresh locally caught seafood, chicken, to really high quality filet mignon and you'll be shocked at how reasonable the prices are.
I have stayed at hotels that cost over $300 per night that can't touch the service and warmth of the staff here. The day before my departure I gave a bag of dirty laundry to one of the housekeepers for cleaning. Only a few moments later she came practically running to me to return nearly $200 that she found in a pocket. Needless to say she received a well deserved tip.
I'm not that easily impressed but as my travels along the Pacific coast conclude next week I definitely plan to spend the last several days at El Velero and I'm sure I will be a repeat customer for years to come.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TnFoodLover
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was our second time to Costa Rica. We flew into Liberia which is a 25-30 minute drive via taxi. (Approx $30.00).

The was our first visit to Hotel El Velero is very small, intimate, excellent location, and situated right on the beach. (The sand is black for first timers). I can't say enough about the beach, you were able to lie out. Sunsets were amazing and you could watch them whiling dining, on the beach or on the patio with drinks. The chef is amazing and has daily creations that make you want for more. There are numerous other good restaurants within walking distance or a short drive away and the neighborhood is safe. The staff was warm, friendly and really wonderful, and also a great source of local information.

The hotel is owner by an Canadian, which added to the home away from home feeling. The hotel is in a great area close to town and we were able to glean many local tips from our conversations with the locals.

The hotel gives you that cozy feeling. With only two of the rooms that face the beach, the others have a view of the pool and gardens not the ocean. The view did not matter to us as in one minute you could walk out to the beach from your room. Most of the other Hotels in the area that had beach access are on steep hillsides, requiring you to take a shuttle back and forth to the top of the hill where the rooms were. So as a reminder when booking if you want your room to face the beach ask. The rooms are good sized and very clean. The bathroom was small but adequate. There is a large open (but covered) common area upstairs on the top floor that has a TV, games and books.

The owner is most accommodating, friendly and more than willing to make sure you have a great time at his hotel. He will go out of his way to book an adventure ....one that you will remember.

Room Tip: IF your not looking for the Big Resort with all the fixings, this is the place for you. Reminder whe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Diane G
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The staff was great!!!! Very clean rooms and common areas. The dining was great. I will make this my place when I visit Costa Rica. The pool was great and it right on the ocean. The sunset was beautiful to watch right on the patio with a great drink in my hand.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank David W
Oxford, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay while in Hermosa! Fantastic place to relax. The staff were very pleasant and made you feel right at home. The food was fabulous and very affordable. Not to mention the incredible view while dining at the restaurant! Overall an awesome place to stay while visiting Hermosa

2 Thank Lonnie S
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay while in Hermosa. The staff is very friendly and make you feel welcome. Great drink and dinner specials, and the BBQ nights are great! It's a very clean and cozy hotel. Steps from the beach, it's a nice quiet place to relax. Not to mention a nice massage on the beach too! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for an affordable, comfortable place to enjoy while in Playa Hermosa.

2 Thank Stacie K
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent many meals at this restaurant enjoying the view and magnificent food. Best breakfast I had during the week in Costa Rica! They also have very skilled massage therapists on hand that can give a massage on the beach. Wait staff was extremely attentive. I spent one whole morning there while the other travelers I was with were scuba diving. I was made to feel very relaxed and comfortable the entire time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Hermosa
Hotel & Villas Huetares
Hotel & Villas Huetares
#6 of 11 in Playa Hermosa
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!