“Always A Pleasure To Stay At The El Velero”
Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Laguna Niguel, California
“Always A Pleasure To Stay At The El Velero”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I highly recommend the Hotel El Velero for the following reasons: I have been staying at the Hotel El Velero for over ten years and have never had a bad room, service, or experience. The staff speak good English so there are no problems in communication. The hotel continues to amaze me with upgrades, cleanliness, and great food and service. The servers are the best in the area, and the food is valued prices and excellent. Happy hour specials and dinner specials are well worth considering for both guests and the locals. Barbeque Nights are the best. Air conditioning, free wireless internet, coffee, and TV in the room is a nice touch for me. I love to walk out of my room and step right onto the beach. In addition, the staff is very helpful for information on the many things to do in the area, as well as longer trips to country highlights. They are also very helpful in coordinating trips for the guests.
Not every place is perfect, but the Hotel El Velero offers the best value in the Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste area. I have always found the staff respectful, courteous, and responsive to any issues I may have encountered.
I think my experience has been so good because I start by treating people with respect, and therefore they in turn treat you with respect back. Try it - it works wonders.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are the best. Be respectful and kind and it pays off.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jceast7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Backnang
Reviewed August 16, 2013

having been drawn to the hotel by the pictures on the internet, my parents and me were looking forward to a nice stay at the beach, as the hotel's advertisement was "we are the beach". That was about all of the truth to its promises: the beach was only steps away and one could hear the waves while having breakfast at the hotel's terrace. The staff even carried my Mum's and my luggage up to our room. But the room itself was rather a big disappointment - we got to agree with a guest's opinion earlier on: it smelled like a "moldy damped towel" and the worst part: one could not open the windows at all and instead of fresh air there was only the option of air conditioner (staff's explanation for this: to keep away the mosquito!). Merely by seeing this my mum almost got claustrophobic. We managed to stay at the hotel for one night (during which we didn't find any comfortable blankets against the cold of the AC) and afterwards decided to leave the etablissement for good instead of staying 2 more nights as it was planned. To cut the hotel some slack - checking out earlier was no problem at all (maybe, though, because I speak Spanish). To recommend a relaxation for that hotel - why not move a beach further to Playa del Coco to the hotel "La Puerta del Sol" - same prize but way better! Cheers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank corinnaschwozer
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

El Velero is just right! Right on the Beach. Right on the service. Right on the price. A sweet, casual place that aims to please, El Velero is owned by a gregarious Canadian who works with you to make a great experience for all! Be sure to have dinner there. The steak is FABULOUS!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank mbahr
thunder bay
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't let this photos on the website fool you. Aside from the close proximity to the beach and scuba shop, I do not have anything positive to say about this hotel. Everything was in disrepair.
The paint was peeling on the walls, there was a pretty established colony of carpenter ants in our bathroom. There were dead ants around the sink and in the shower. During the rain our ceiling leaked--into the bed. The towel bar in the bathroom had fallen off the wall and was held in the holes in the wall with paper towel.
Given the price of the food in the restaurant, I would advise against it. I ordered the ceviche and it was served with crackers and tasted so bad I almost gagged.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mahndei33
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Don't waste your time, its not worth it. Staff was rude as soon as my husband and I checked in. The way up to our room looked acceptable but was stunned once we opened our room door. The room smelled like a moldy, damped towel. The bathroom floor and shower had body hair all over. It was not worth our hard earned money. I will never recommend that place and to top it off, they didn't refund our money after we told the staff we were unhappy and wanted to check out.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank rosegonzalesgunn
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2013

If you stand on the beach at El Velero hotel and look south east the house on the top of the tallest hill is where we stayed. While I house was beautiful and cost 20x what El Velero hotel cost we will stay at the hotel next. We ate lunch and dinner one day and walked around the place.
It looks like a no brainer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pettytweedstraw
Blowing Rock, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My sister and I took a spontaneous trip to Costa Rica for Mothers Day - leaving our nine grown children and their families to send us happy wishes from afar :) A friend had recommended this hotel but because the price was so low, we went with a touch of 'how good could it be?' attitdue. Well, it was great! The staff was amazingly friendly and accomondating, the room was really large (and, important near the equator, the AC was strong!) - the food was delicious so that we ate nearly all of our meals there. But best of all was the location. Smack in the middle of the best beach of the trio in NW Guanacaste - and this hotel did the best job of blending right in with the coconut palms and sand and surf, nearly seamlessly. The rooms flowed to the veranda to the outdoor dining room to the beach - we just drifted through our days in absolute relaxation. Massages on the beach, snorkeling over the coral - a seahorse curled around my finger and took my breath away. We cannot wait to come back - but this time we'll bring the nine kids, their wives and husbands and children - and still not break the bank. Well done!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!