“Consistently perfect for my group!”
Review of Hotel El Velero

Hotel El Velero
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We love El Velero! Though we've tried other hotels in the Playa Hermosa area, we keep coming back to El Velero. The staff is friendly and efficient, and the owner, Mike, is very accommodating! We love that the hotel is right on the beach. The rooms are a good size, and the balcony at the end of the second floor is a great place to watch the sunset as well as assemble our big group for meetings. Breakfast is consistently great! We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed two nights here. The beach is right in front of the hotel and it was a wonderful warm calm beach. The rooms were nothing spectacular and actually quite smelly and not very clean and a bit noisy as a building was going up next to us and they would begin banging at 6 am, but staff was friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Try to get rooms w a view of the beach. It may b noisy w the sounds of waves crashing but nice for s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Playa Hermosa is a family destination and this is a family-friendly hotel...that mom and dad can enjoy too! The staff is incredibly friendly, helpful, and efficient; Joshua set up a snorkling trip for the 3 of us (2 adults and one 11 yo) that was a bargain and the highlight of our visit to PH. The hotel is the right size - boutique'ish without being pricey at all, and has all the amenities most people want in this price range. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the slightly Mediterranean architecture is airy/open, and a bit whimisical; we loved the 2nd floor patio for reading, having a drink, or watching the sunset and visiting. So why not 5 stars? We did have to go through 2 rooms before we got one that was correct - first couldn't open the door (us or the staff), the 2nd one's shower broke on first use, but the third one was just right. Hot water was a bit iffy, but most mid-priced hotels in CR have this affliction - doesn't bother me at all after eastern Europe, etc, but drives my wife crazy. So, 4 out of 5, BUT I highly recommend El Velero if you want beach front, great views, and a very reasonable price. Oh, the restuarant is quite good and the subject of another review - I think the comments of others about it are slightly off in my opinion (and I never eat at hotel restuarants if at all possible).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GregCinVA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I stopped in Playa Hermosa for our last night in CR before jetting north to San Juan Del Sur. This was the end of the second week of our honeymoon and we had been staying in small bed and breakfast places for the most part. The hotel is clean and the staff was some of the friendliest we encountered during the week in CR. We loved the view from the second floor of the hotel! The hotel is not cheap, but loved the location on the beach. The restaurant has good food, but it's very pricey. We arrived late afternoon to check in and checked out the next day. We ate a late lunch (fish burger and fish nuggets), light dinner with small salads and split a ceviche and had coffee in the morning and our restaurant bill was $63.00.... WAY too much for what we had. This seems to be a growing trend in Costa Rica. The sunset was lovely and check out was late enough (noon) that we were still able to run some errands and play in the water before we had to check out. All in all a great stay, but beware the prices of the restaurant after service and tax is added on.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeisureTeam
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stopped by El Velero for lunch while visiting Playa Hermosa. The hotel is right on the beach and they have a few beach chairs available to enjoy if you want to sit on the sand. The service was friendly and quick but the prices were high. The bill totaled over 12 dollars for 2 Imperials, and 6 wing sections. The "mild" wings were covered in a thickened soy sauce, very salty. The other offerings on the menu were also priced high, for the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We visited playa Hermosa early in the morning. Before heading back to our hotel, we wanted a bite to eat so we asked the parking lot security man, who pointed us in this hotels direction. The hotel is really cute and just had a relaxing feel. Service was prompt and the food was excellent. Best part: the price! Every other place we visited had exorbant prices. El Velero's restaurant was extremely reasonable! I think I want to stay here on my next trip to Costa Rica !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank asumrall
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was originally planning to got to Nicaragua this year for Spring Break, but a friend suggested Playa Hermosa to me and El Velero. I checked out their website and then of course, Trip Advisor. It looked like the price was right, it was on the beach and so we called the hotel directly and booked our room. I could not have been happier with our choice. The staff were exceptionally friendly. It was as if we had known Luis, Joshua and Mike for years, not days. Our room was perfectly acceptable, two queen beds a closet, tv and bathroom. Every morning we woke up to the sound of the howler monkeys in the trees. Very cool! The hotel is right on the beach and the sunsets are fantastic. It is super convenient that the hotel has a restaurant and the food is really good. I thought the prices were very reasonable. We stayed for a week and our tab for our meals was around $600 for a family of four. Our kids had dessert every night...after all, it was vacation! The girls LOVED the brownie sundae. My favorite was BBQ night - I couldn't resist the Mahi-Mahi...it was charcoal grilled and served with garlic butter. Probably about the best fish I've ever eaten. It was served with steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. Super delicious! We had a great time and I hated to leave, but we will definitely go back again some day. Our kids had fun in the pool and we felt that they were always very safe at the hotel, even when we weren't directly supervising them. The beach is beautiful, but take note, this is volcanic sand and not the white, sugary sand that you find in the caribbean. Monkeys are everywhere in the trees next door...everyday we watch a family of about 12 monkeys eating mangoes and jumping around in the trees. My girls loved this experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Playa Panama
Villa Acacia
Villa Acacia
#8 of 11 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Hotel El Velero? Share your experiences!