“Lovely evening”
Review of Mario's Cuisine - CLOSED

Mario's Cuisine
Cuisines: Seafood, Costa Rican, Healthy, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We are a Costarrican family, who love to receive people from around the world for a unique dining experience in Costa Rica. My husband Mario, a Chef for 20 years now, learned his cuisine from Old School International Chef's and from there he created his own Fusion style cuisine, who he really felt identify with. This type of Cuisine its only possible with fresh ingredients of the day, from the salad to the seafood, everything its carefully chosen on a daily basis and from scratch prepare with passion into explosive delicious flavors to the palate. Everyday we create and serve a 4 course dinner in our terrace, where you can also enjoy the breeze, the stars and the beautiful magic of Guanacaste in an intimate ambiance. We required reservations in advance.
Calgary, Canada
“Lovely evening”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had a lovely evening and enjoyed a great meal with Mario and Ericka. When making the booking we discovered that this is not a restaurant, but the patio of a private home. The experience is personal and like visiting friends. Mario is very passionate about his craft and enjoyed telling us about his philosophy and approach to being a chef. It was a little expensive at $60 each but the quality of the meal, excellent company of the hosts and overall experience was worth it.

• Visited May 2014

Connecticut
“Best meal in Costa Rica”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was a little Leary of this experience. It was our last night and on a whim I tried to make reservations here. At first they weren't sure if they could accept them because Mario hadn't gone out fishing that morning and he only serves fresh fish. Fortunately for us his friend had caught a mahi mahi that day. You don't order from a menu you only get what they serve you. When you make your reservation they interview for food allergies, likes, dislikes etc. you are eating in someone's home. Mario, ericka and their 4 children couldn't have been more welcoming. The star of the evening was the food. We are foodies and it was incredible.not only was the food incredible, the presentation was as well. You expect being in someone's home you would loose a little in presentation. Not here. It is a little pricey for this area but take it from me it was worth every cent. You can bring your own beverages so you save on the bar bill. It was a once in a lifetime experience and we feel really fortunate to have experienced it.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank lovekevin
Westport, Massachusetts
“Outstanding- do not miss!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Dining with Mario and Ericka was one of the top experiences of our trip to Playa Hermosa. They're a fantastic couple who open their home, kitchen, and knowledge to new friends while offering an outstanding meal and excellent conversation. They're a couple with many children (5?) who moved from the city to raise their family in a better environment. Their commitment to the meal and the country is outstanding. Every course was outstanding. No, this isn't fine dining, but it is not labeled as such. The experience is more like heading to a friends home for a dinner. The papaya and ginger soup was outstanding- wish I could have figured out what the base was, feels like cream, but its tough since the texture is so perfect. We also had a needlefish cake, snapper ceviche, shrimp and tapanade, costa rican mashed potatoes, grouper in blackberry % wine reduction, and a sorbet dessert. Mario is a top notch chef. Don't miss a meal with them. As far as finding them, count from Condovac to the third official entry for Playa Hermosa (defined by the yellow cross bars) and follow the road at the last entry with a slight bend to the right and a slight uphill left afterwards.

• Visited March 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Like Eating with Friends”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Not a fancy place, but a beautiful outdoor seating area on Mario and Ericka's porch. We are not foodies, but had to come experience Mario's after reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor. We called ahead to discuss our preferences. Told them I don't eat seafood and have only liked it one time in my life. Loved the first course of papaya ginger soup and crusty bread. Second course had a variety of flavors. I enjoyed the rolled lettuce with raspberry dressing. Hubby loved the rooster fish sashimi. Second course did have a needle fish cake which I ate and actually enjoyed. Way to go Mario, for getting me to eat seafood I liked for the 2nd time in my life!! They prepared 2 different main meals- mahi mahi for my husband and chicken for me- which we both found delicious. I am a light eater and it was too much food for me, so I brought 1/2 of my entrée home. I love my desserts and thoroughly enjoyed the homemade berry gelato with a yummy crusted ring around it. Mario is a very talented chef.

Conversation was great and it felt like we were dining at our friend's house. Great opportunity to find out about their way of life. We discovered things about the local culture that we may not have learned any other way. Felt very comfortable chatting with them after dinner.

Denise & Jerome
NC

• Visited March 2014
Burlington, Canada
“Food very good but not fine dining as advertised”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Very good food... no dispute but not fine dining. Paper napkins, no change of cutlery between courses, no change of glasses when wine changed from Prosecco to red or white wine.... doesn't make it.
Owners very personable but stories regarding the "catch of the day" slightly exaggerated ( I say this as I've been in CR 15 years and know these waters first-hand.
Also, I like the intimate, friendly service but sometimes it's best to let the clients have some personal space. I the owners became TOO much involved in my company.
Want to stress the food was really good but not fine dining as we were sold!

• Visited November 2013