Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fishing in Costa Rica is a family fun experience – memories to last a lifetime! North Pacific Tours has been providing fishing, snorkeling and surfing charters for over 10 years in the Papagayo Gulf, picking up at all the local hotels and beaches in the area. We are a legal and insured fishing company who will never sell charters on any of the beaches. . Please note, there are TWO Playa Hermosa’s. North Pacific Tours is located in province of Guanacaste, 25 minutes from the Liberia airport Our fishing charters are inshore / coastal fishing which means that you will always see the coastline. Depending on the action will determine what fish you target. The types of fishing options we are are bottom/jigging, trolling and casting. If you like to fly fish and you have your own gear, the crew will take you to best secret spots. North Pacific Tours offers full day fishing (8 hours), Half days (5 hours) and 3/4 day (6 hours). Please book in advance because we book up! Our crew are exceptional fisherman and are professionals. Captain Mauricio, fluent in English, is a fishing addict and you will find him fishing on his day off. Mate and surf guide David, has been fishing/ surfing these waters for many years as well. Costa Rica is known worldwide as one of the greatest sport fishing/surfing destination plus the weather is great almost all year round. For the intermediate and experienced surfer, trips to Witches Rock and Ollie's are offered with a guide. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Mauricio and Daniel were fantastic. I dealt with Lisa via email first to try to book, then decided to call to confirm. I asked many questions and they were all answered. I inquired about a bathroom on the boat, she said there was not, but they had a ladder to place on the side of the boat. That was not a problem for my husband and I or the other couple that was with us. The water was refreshing anyway. As for the fish, we didn't catch as many fish as we wanted to, but had a great time. I was fortunate enough to catch a 65# Amber Jack. If we are fortunate enough to visit Costa Rica again, I would most certainly use Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing again.

NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thanks for the review and the photo of you and your catch! I too hope you can come back to Costa Rica, thanks for visiting!

There are newer reviews for Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Mauricio and Daniel are two of the most experienced and hardest working fishermen I have dealt with in the area and I have fished here a lot as I own a place here. I mentioned to them what species I wanted to fish for and we targeted those as well others. Other guides will only go through the motions to collect your money, not these guys. They earn their money all day long. The boat is very safe, anyone that has ever been fishing on a panga knows that it is the preferred boat of all the locals because they handle the ocean waves so well. I'll be going out again with them soon.

NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

We appreciate reviews by true fisherman because of your vast knowledgeable of fishing and you know what to expect all around. All of us at North Pacific Tours work hard for our customers as we want them to have the best experience out on the water while in Costa Rica and it seems as though your trip paid off! Glad I was able to get you on a split-charter and will keep my eye open for others while you are still in the country. We look forward to having you out again and thanks for the nice review which I will pass on to the crew.

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I had dealt with Lisa by email prior to arrival and she was very responsive BUT I was not aware we were going on a boat with no shade or bathroom! We cancelled when we saw an open hulled boat that was not big enough for a river!
We did not go because the boat was way too small and open bow that could capsize with a wave! And there was no bathroom for a day trip. This was misrepresented and they knew I was a woman and never said there was no bathroom.
Their safety standards need to be looked at- no one in their right mind would go in the ocean in an open bow boat. And there was no shade on the boat and little to no seating! 5 people on a little boat-no way! The boat could not have been more than 22 feet long and not even 5 feet wide and almost no setting. Our lives are worth more than taking a chance like that!

3  Thank texas423
NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

The Don Manuel is a 26 ft. center console panga, covered bimini top, legal, insured to seat 10 passengers and we abide by all Costa Rican safety standards. For you to say otherwise is FALSE. Our boat, a panaga, is a typical boat of Costa Rica used all around the Papagayo Gulf.

We did not misrepresent the Don Manuel, you just failed to do your homework. I sent you the same information that I have been sending to the hundreds of clients before you, you were just the first person who didn’t bother to take the time to look at any of it. If you had viewed any of our videos, you would of seen our boat.

Our captain has over 40 years of experience and has worked with us since our very first trip in 2007. He is not some random person operating our boat; he is an experienced and knowledgeable Captain. The day you were scheduled to go out, the weather was perfect with no swell, no waves, hardly any wind. We would never put the safety of our clients in jeopardy so for you to say our boat would flip is incorrect and there was no way your lives would have been in danger - that is untrue.

You did not even bother to come close to the boat or set foot in it. You made your observations and assumptions from the beach and your husband quickly dismissed the crew with the wave of his hand without ever approaching the boat.

I am flattered that you purchased a fishing trip with us without looking at photos of the Don Manuel. Obviously you must of read our reviews from past clients and read how satisfied they were with our services and the great time they had fishing with us. Our boat is good enough for them, just not good enough for you or your husband.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have done deep sea fishing to death, and in trying to find a light tackle fishing outfit - came across North Pacific Tours. Lisa was fantastic to deal with, we booked in advance just over email, and sure enough, when the day came, Mauricio and Captain Daniel pulled right up to our resort beach to pick us up! A few minutes late, but they were very apologetic and more than made up for it.

We had a great day on the water - lots of casting, a bit of trolling, and nailed a beauty Mahi Mahi and Needlefish. The boat was fully stocked with waters, pop and juice - and when they saw us flagging a bit in the heat (that was heavy casting tackle!) out came a fresh pineapple to be cut up a shared - perfect timing!

Besides the fishing we saw dolphins, got the skinny on Witch Rock, watched many Devil Rays fly out of the water, and chased after boil after boil of fish in an effort to nail a Jack. Mauricio worked his butt off to put us on the fish - and it was only our pathetic casting and jigging techniques that prevented us nailing our own!

I would recommend this outfit for anyone who, like me, wants to get a bit more active in their fishing. They knew their stuff, and handled the Coast Guard like pros, even as they were hassled un-necessarily by them! Awesome day - thanks Daniel, Mauricio and Lisa, Pura Vida!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your trip. It is nice to read that you had a fantastic time out fishing with us which I will share with the crew. The Pacific Ocean is amazing, you just never know what you'll see out on the water and it seems you saw a lot of marine life. We look forward to your next fishing trip with us. Until then... Pura Vida!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

What a wonderful day on the water! We prebooked a full day of fishing on the "Don Manuel". They picked us up, at no extra charge, from our beach right at the Hilton Papagayos. The boat was comfortable and well stocked with cold water, beer, etc. and fresh pineapple, sandwiches and snacks. They even prepacked our shoe sizes for flippers and snorkel gear which we ended up not using since we were enjoying the fishing so much! We caught a Rooster Fish, had two Mahi on but lost, caught several types of tuna and then ended the day by catching more than our fill of Red Snapper! Mauricio and the captain never stopped searching for the right place to catch fish, we definitely got every cent out of our investment in this day!

NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Fishing trips are always awesome when you catch fish and it feels good to know you had a great day out on the water. The crew always do their best to be sure that you, our client, is satisfied and that you get what you are paying for. Sometimes the fish do not cooperate, but that’s fishing!

At North Pacific Tours, we have high standards for our clients and your business is what makes us successful -- so many thanks for your review!