“Beach Hopping in Paradise”

Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fishing in Costa Rica is a family fun experience – memories to last a lifetime! North Pacific Tours has been providing fishing, snorkeling and surfing charters for over 10 years in the Papagayo Gulf, picking up at all the local hotels and beaches in the area. We are a legal and insured fishing company who will never sell charters on any of the beaches. . Please note, there are TWO Playa Hermosa’s. North Pacific Tours is located in province of Guanacaste, 25 minutes from the Liberia airport Our fishing charters are inshore / coastal fishing which means that you will always see the coastline. Depending on the action will determine what fish you target. The types of fishing options we are are bottom/jigging, trolling and casting. If you like to fly fish and you have your own gear, the crew will take you to best secret spots. North Pacific Tours offers full day fishing (8 hours), Half days (5 hours) and 3/4 day (6 hours). Please book in advance because we book up! Our crew are exceptional fisherman and are professionals. Captain Mauricio, fluent in English, is a fishing addict and you will find him fishing on his day off. Mate and surf guide David, has been fishing/ surfing these waters for many years as well. Costa Rica is known worldwide as one of the greatest sport fishing/surfing destination plus the weather is great almost all year round. For the intermediate and experienced surfer, trips to Witches Rock and Ollie's are offered with a guide. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have used North Pacific Tours for many tours over the past two years, including fishing, snorkeling, and beach hopping. Lisa and her crew are the best around! Not only are they fun and friendly, they are very knowledgeable, safe, and reliable. I always feel comfortable when on their boat and know that I will have a good time. They are always the first boat I call when I am ready for some fun in the sun and the first boat I recommend to others. Thanks for the years of fun North Pacific Tours. I am looking forward to the next one!

There are newer reviews for Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been going to the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica since 2008. On our first trip to Costa Rica we came across Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing through a local dive shop who highly recommmended them as they have full insurance (some don't) and an English speaking staff that specialized in fishing trips as well as surfing and snorkeling excursions. Needless to say this was right up our alley. We booked the trip and couldn't have been happier and had a marvelous time. That first trip our captain was Maurcio and his first mate (and brother )Danny, Both experienced fisherman as their father, who was captian on later trips, is also a lifetime fisherman (old salts!). Felt safe in their hands, to say the least, as they know the waters and area like the back of their hands. Caught lots of fish and had a chance to swim and snorkel at an un-inhabitant beach /cove with a cave! Super cool! Since the first trip, we have booked excursions with them each time we have gone back to Costa Rica (4 wonderful trips!). We also had an opportunity to meet Maurico's wife Lisa and co-owner, who is American and from NY who handles the booking and accompanies some trips. She is a great asset and a driving force of the business since she understands American expectations.
I can't say enough good things about their team. Each trip has been wonderful and look forward to going back. We are heading there again for New Years 2013 and have already booked 2 days on their boat. Dispite a recent negative review after checking the status, I'm going to disregard it from personal experience. We are totally confident in their ability and wouldn't go anywhere else. Pura Vida! Looking forward to warm, sunny, fish filled days on the boat! Will let you know how it turns out! Expecting nothing less than paridise!

NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Happy Holidays Sharon,

I think you and your family are one of the first families that started using us and are glad that we can keep having you come back.. We were so busy your last trip here in October I wasn't sure how your trip went but it looks as though it went great! Your write up means a lot to us as not everyone has the same expectations, so its good to get this feedback.
Everyone here at North Pacific Tours wishes you a Happy New Year!

See you next year!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The owners are very flexible in tailoring ur trip to ur specific nds and is knowledgeable about the area. Very trustworthy and personable. Especially when there r so many other businesses around its hard to know if u r getting ur monies worth or getting scammed. After checking around with other local trips. I am Very Glad I ended up with these guys. Especially since I have kids, they were very patient with my girls and made sure that we all had a good time. My kids happiness and memorable experience was well worth the money! We will definitly use them again when we go down there!

1  Thank notjusttheordinary
NorthPacificTours, Manager at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Hello M,

Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review.

We are so glad your girls had such a good time fishing with us. I know your youngest has a passion for fishing and that your day planned with us was special. We look forward to having you out on the water with us - Hopefully it will be sooner than later.
Happy New Year and thank you again for using our services.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

They met myself and my family on the beach at Playa Hermosa on time. the boat had great fishing and snorkeling gear. Daniel hooked the first black fin tuna in 10 minutes which I reeled in. Then anoither 2 black fin and a Mahi Mahi!!!. The day was great the boat was clean and daniel knew how to get me on the fish. Lisa and Mauricio the owners et everything up easily via e mail. If you want a sfae and memorable trip go with this company. My kids even went snorkeling for an hour and we had fish for dinner.
Thanks for a great trip!!

Happy Holidays to you and your Family,
Edward, thank you so much for your review, it is much appreciated and I am happy that your trip was successful. I will be sure to let the crew that you were happy with your trip. Please look us up if your ever in the area again.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Here's what happened to us last week:
I had emailed Lisa for weeks to plan the perfect full-day fishing trip as a surprise for my husband's birthday. We were going to have the whole boat to ourselves since they couldn't find a share for us. They agreed to pick us up from the JW Marriott for an additional fee and everything was confirmed up to the night before our fishing trip. 7 AM rolls around, and we are waiting on the beach of the hotel, as they instructed.

At 7:15, I leave my husband waiting for the boat on the beach and go to check my email to see if maybe they emailed us different instructions - no emails, so I return to the beach.

At 7:30, I make my first call to the company and speak with Lisa who tells me the captain and boat are at the beach...so I rush back down to the beach, thinking they must have just arrived while I was walking back to the room to make the phone call. My husband still has not seen any sign of the boat.

At 7:45, I go back to the room to call Lisa back and tell her there is no sign of the boat at our beach (the ONLY JW Marriott in Costa Rica) so her guys must be at the wrong place. She proceeds to drop 10+ F Bombs into the phone as she's apparently realizing she screwed up...very unprofessional. She asks me to call her back after she talks to the captain but that she doesn't think the fishing trip is going to happen because they are supposedly at the Hacienda Pinilla beach (which would have been at the same property and not too far away - however, the story changes).

When I call her back again, she tells me they are at Playa Conchal (which is by the Westin resort - the completely wrong hotel - which she says is 40 mins. away), and then proceeds to complain to me about how upset the captain is at her for making the mistake. I finally go get my husband from the beach so he can stop looking for the boat that isn't going to show up, and we call her back once more to try to understand why they can't come get us still.

She didn't offer to make arrangements to take us out another day, which I was very put-off by since we had clear emails detailing everything out, even the additional fee. It was clearly her mistake. She also hadn't tried to contact us initially when the captain was at the wrong beach and they didn't see us...I had to call them after waiting for 30 mins. to find out where they were.

This whole disaster forced us to find another fishing boat on our own last-minute for another day during our trip.

I would advise anyone who thinks they are making advanced plans with this company to use caution and have a back-up plan when they leave you standing on your beach. They ruined a birthday surprise I'd put a lot of work into planning and keeping a surprise and handled the entire situation with no customer service or professionalism.

This is literally the worst company we dealt with during our entire 7-night trip.

5  Thank Michelle13_11
NorthPacificTours, Owner at Papagayo Gulf Sport Fishing - North Pacific Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

I have been expecting this review and what Michele writes is true but please note that a trip could not be arranged the next day because they were leaving. I also offered to find another boat that morning but they declined my help which I totatlly understood. Who would want to work with me after I made such a careless mistake after we spent months planning? I felt/ and still do feel terrible about this mistake. I have no excuses except that I am only human and I am not perfect.

I have booked over 2,500 trips and this was the FIRST one I messed up. I deserve this low ranking but please know that our crew are excellent fisherman and they do not deserve this as they had nothing to do with the reservation. This was MY FAULT and was my responsibility. Again Michele, I am really sorry about this. I know you will not use us in the future, but if you do come down, please email me and we would very much like to make it up to you and take you out fishing.

We are not a bad company, a small company that wants to provide good service, great fishing, a clean boat with good quality gear. I can not apologize enough for this HUGE screw-up.