Hotel RipJack Inn
Hotel Cantarana(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$87
Hotel Bula Bula(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$109
Playa Grande Park Hotel(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$78
$76
Hotels.com
La Marejada Hotel(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$70
Pueblo Dorado Surf Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$55
Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$58
$55
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$148
$94
Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$182
Bookit.com
$253
Hotel Las Tortugas(Playa Grande)
All reviewsrip jackyoga studiocosta ricalaid backyoga teacher traininghot garlicgreat foodevery mealsurf lessonswonderful vacationfantastic beachsurf shopshrimptraveling aloneupstairs restauranthappy hourfell in love
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just got back from a short week's stay at the Rip Jack Inn at Playa Grande. Seriously felt like a home away from home. You cannot beat the location—a very short walk (like 30 seconds) and you are on the sand and surfing in 80+ degree water. The food... oh my, the food! Super fresh, healthy and well thought out meals. From classic Costa Rican fare to sashimi and beyond, the food was as good as any 5-Star restaurant in California. The hosts are awesome ex-pats with a super cool family vibe. Very friendly, welcoming and funny. We felt safe and completely relaxed the entire time we were there. It was only about an hour drive from the Liberia airport and that too was beyond easy. Our room was perfect for 3 guys on a surf trip—simple. From what I could see they have added some pretty nice (maybe even border-line luxury) suites. Didn't have a chance to go inside, but they looked like they could have been part of the Westin or Marriott hotels inside.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Rip Jack Inn for your vacation... get on it!

Room Tip: If it's just you and the boys, get the standard room. But, if you are traveling with family, I would upgrade to one of the new suites.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was our first time visiting Costa Rica, and I cannot think of a better place to have spent our trip!! We traveled there with a wedding party, and they did a great job accommodating us and the entire wedding!! The wedding was planned perfectly, and the reception was at the hotel restaurant/bar - amazing!!

I was able to fit yoga into one of our mornings, and it was the best class I've ever been to. The yoga studio is outdoors, which is just amazing since you can hear the birds and ocean all around you. Yoga was followed by an amazing breakfast (every morning!), with the freshest of foods and fruits. ALL meals are delicious, especially the hot garlic shrimp... and the fruity drinks are amazing. Our waiter was Eric most nights and some mornings, he was great!!

Our room was located under the restaurant, and while it was small, we didn't spend much time there anyway so that was fine with us. There's a nice pool and of course the ocean is only 100 yards away. Such a great beach and easy access from the hotel... and we loved Taco Star just a short walk down the beach, yum! The hotel is actually a short walk from a few authentic restaurants and a surf shop that we rented boards from.

The staff at the RipJack Inn was amazing, and they really helped make our trip perfect... from the recommendations of excursions (they suggested an awesome snorkeling trip) to the wonderful food, drinks and conversations. We loved our trip, and the RipJack Inn family!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Tripadvisor can be "blamed" for our choosing Rip Jack Inn. Our first choice was a hotel in Tamarindo that we have been to a number of times. Obviously it has gone down hill in the last few years according to your contributors. . So we made a reservation at this hotel. Our first visit to Playa Grande. Let me tell you it is great! We stayed in the Deluxe Poolside. A great choice. I can't say enough about the room, the pool, the staff...everything. Not too many place remember your name. This place is a must-visit!!!!!

Room Tip: The three rooms by the pool are the newest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I just stayed here last week with another couple in the Bungalow Suite. The suite was perfect for us because there's french doors that separate the bedroom from the living room which was nice in case someone wanted to make it an early night and go to bed, then we would just keep the doors shut. The room has a nice flat screen tv, a small refrigerator, coffee maker and air conditioning in each room. Although there was no phone in our room, all we had to do was go to upstairs to the bar at the restaurant, and the staff took care of any requests we had right away. The bar/restaurant was absolutely beautiful with a hammock there (how cool is that?!) and food was to die for. Happy hour was pretty cool and had a good selection of beer and liquor. The staff, including the owners were extremely accomodating. I finally got to meet Annie (one of the owners) my first morning there at yoga class and she treated me like she knew me all her life, so sweet and welcoming. The rest of the staff was great and they were all really nice, laid back people, just like the hotel. I gotta say the waiter named Eric was our absolute favorite! He always went out of his way to greet us and made sure we were always taken care of, and he makes a killer mango daquiri made from fresh mangoes! The location of this place couldn't be more perfect, the walk to the beach is a beautiful little trail and only like 20 seconds long if that. The beach is so close that I could hear the waves as I lounged by the pool. Playa Grande beach is absolutely breath-taking, with a lot of surf which was cool because my boyfriend and my friend's husband that traveled with us are both surfers. The surf was consistent with nice crystal clear water, especially around high tide. There's also other cool bars and places to eat within walking distance, especially if you want authentic Costa Rican food. I highly recommend this place and I've been day dreaming about it ever since...we'll definitely be going back...

Room Tip: When sleeping in the bungalow suite, you can hear these seed things that fell from the palm trees and hit the roof which woke me up sometimes. The hotel has no fitness center but offers yoga, zumba, and boot camp classes for a fee.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was my first time in Costa Rica and boyfriend has been there once before. He likes more rustic trips and I like luxurious hotels. Ripp Jack Inn was my choice, because it was low-key (which he likes) and had great reviews on hospitality, service, food and activities.

The hotel is in Playa Grande; there is a pathway to the beach. The beach is quiet with a handful of surfers and hotel guests at a time. We had a car, which allowed us to travel outside the town and come back to a quiet area. The Inn's restaurant has the best food in the area. We ate out sometimes, but were happy to wake up to a great breakfast and finish our day with an amazing dinner at the Ripp Jack Inn.

The waiters, bartender and chefs were nice and friendly. We hung out with some of them the last night of our trip. They owners Dave and Annie have a good crew. Dave and Annie e-mailed with me before the trip and alleviated any and all of my concerns. When I got there, they were warm and friendly and gave my boyfriend and I directions to where we wanted to go outside of Playa Grande. They also set up tours for us (which turned out to be private and amazing). They really know what they are doing at the Ripp Jack Inn.

Also, the yoga instructors are awesome. I took a couple classes and was even turned onto a yoga class on a long board in Las Catalinas. I wouldn't have had the same experience if I stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms under the restaurant are a bit noisy until about 9 pm.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple