“Great Stay for our Mancation”
Review of Hotel RipJack Inn

Hotel RipJack Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was the perfect place for 3 guys on a surf trip. We stayed in the bungalow and it was a great size for 3 (easily could fit more) - its a stand alone structure. Only issue was WiFi was spotty (but I'm thinking thats the case for most of the rooms).

The staff was incredible. Felt like you were staying with family. The restaurant/bar served great food and drinks and again, everyone made you feel like you were a friend.

Google says its 300m to the beach but I would argue its about 100. Path ends right at the main peak but you can easily walk 50y in either direction to get to a less crowded spot.

Can't recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Bungalow is great for the money. Perfect fit for three guys (futon wasn't super comfortable but...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank swhill
There are newer reviews for Hotel RipJack Inn

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Our fourth trip to the Ripjack Inn. I guess you could say we love it! We have stayed in all of the types of units for our family of 3. All are stylish, and clean. The units under the restaurant have small bathrooms, but have what you need. The staff make this place great, I love seeing the same faces year after year. Nubia, Myra, Eric, Andy, Tabitha, Johnny, and the amazing kitchen staff cranking out some awesome food. The menu is somewhat limited if you're staying a week like we do, but there are other dining options in the area. We found the dinner portions enormous and shared quite a few entrees. The beach is across the street, and a one minute walk away. You come through the trees, and WOW! Walking the beach at low tide is awesome, because at high tide you will want to surf! Sunsets, yoga, wine, hammocks, wildlife......I highly recommend booking tours throught the hotel with Oriole Tours, and the most awesome guide Gustavo. He is highly knowledgable and takes great pride in his country. A joy to travel with. For adrenalin, the adventure tour has ziplines, waterslide through the forest, followed by lunch, then horseback ride to the waterfall with a short hike and then onward by horseback to the thermal pools, sauna, and mudbaths. For the nature tour you take a ride by boat on the Tempesque River to see crocodiles, interact with whiteface monkeys, and birds galore. These tours include transportation, guide, lunch and activity. We normally book a car through the hotel for half of our trip to drive around, we recommend Adobe rental car. What can I say? My husband, 12yr old son, and I look forward to this trip every year. The waves are awesome, the staff, and our friends Dave and Annie are to be congratulated on their hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank surfergirl14
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I cant extend my gratitude enough to the staff of Rip Jack Inn. My stay was comfortable and free of the usual travel B.S. that sometimes happens (even though my travel buddy was a cata pincha inside joke with the staff, see I told you their cool!) I totally recommend this place if you like good food, good people and a stress free existance. I WILL come back to Costa Rica and when I do I WILL stay at Rip Jack again.
Thank you all so much, I hope to see everyone again in a couple months.

Room Tip: Get there before 11pm......I didn't but I still got a room. I told you they rock!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rico S
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This is an honest review about the RipJack Inn--not positive or negative, just knitty gritty.

We were really excited to stay here based on the reviews and the photos--but when we got to the grounds, they were a bit run-down and the room was extremely small compared to what we were expecting. I would have been happy with our room if it had been priced at around $100, but for $130, it really wasn't justifiable. The bed was extremely comfortable and they had a/c and a flat screen--but honestly, why watch a bunch of tv when you're on vacation? The bathroom was nice, but nothing special. The room was so small the king size bed filled it. It's a nice place to stay, but you'll be unhappy with what you're getting for the price you're paying.

Next door are two hotels, almost as nice, for $70/night (MarBar) and $50/night (Playa Grande Inn). All three hotels have pools. (Marbar and PGI are right beside the RipJack as well and their grounds are actually nicer, though their rooms are not.)

Additionally, the Ripjack charges $20/day for surfboards while the owner at PGI only charges $12/day and gives you boogie boards for free. If we did it again, we'd stay at PGI as the bang for your buck is better and the owner seems to be in it for his love of Playa Grande and not so much for the capitalism aspect.

The Ripjack is always full and they are adding more rooms as well. Why wouldn't they make the grounds a bit nicer rather than adding more on? It's all a big money making thing here--it really is silly how marked up it is compared to the two properties next door.

O.k. so if you've read all of this and you still want to stay here, then you should, because there are a lot of great things about this place--but prepared to be disappointed on how much you spend. The pool is nice, the rooms have a/c, there's yoga offered in the mornings, and the staff is unbelievable nice and helpful. Also, they have live music and it's actually quite a fun scene.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tonya F
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Rip Jack Inn was awesome, a definite highlight of our stay in CR.

Stayed one night in a dbl rm but was a little small for hubby & I. we moved to a king poolside rm the rest of our stay which was fabulous. spend the extra $ and upgrade to the poolside room, the bathrooms are twice the size, king beds, a little fridge & tv. The pool is great and each morning there are yoga classes poolside. close proximity to beach.

we will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank mrsrbg
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Hello fellow trippers!

My wife, son and I just got back from a trip to Costa Rica and a stay at the Rip Jack Inn.
The owners Annie & Dave were excellent hosts and very positive nice people! Nubia, the Inn manager, Eric, Maria, Alabama, Woody and the rest of the Rip Jack staff were also very nice and accommodating to our family during our stay. The upstairs’ open air restaurant was fantastic, great views and the room was Awesome (very clean and thoroughly cleaned daily). The gardener fills the pool each morning with fresh water. The Landscape around the Inn has flowers, cool plants, plenty of hammocks with a easy walk to the beach (it’s basically on the beach). Wonderful vacation and I’d highly recommend a stay. The Playa Grande area and the Rip Jack Inn were very family & surfer friendly you can’t go wrong here.

Room Tip: Suite by the pool
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 of our 7 night vacay in Costa Rica Guanacaste region. We stayed in the brand new rooms/suites by the pool which were beautifully decorated, in a minimalistic yet comfortable way. Right up my alley. My hubbie surfed the break which is located right at the nature trail across the street to the beach while I laid out at the pool and read. The only thing that was even the slightest bit negative, and is only negative because I am not a cat person, is that a skinny feline (don't know if it was feral or not) decided that she would try to get into the room every time we opened the sliding glass door and also wouldn't get off the chaise on the porch several times when I tried to shoo it away. It decided to spray the porch for revenge so that stank. Otherwise, 5 star experience. Food was awesome, people were friendly, we saw a leatherback turtle climb up the beach, lay her eggs and crawl back down the beach. Meanwhile, 2 of her eggs hatched and we saw little teeny baby sea turtles, so unbelievably cute. If you want to go horseback riding mostly on the beach but a little bit in the mountains, get them to book you a trip in Playa Brasalito. We cantered along the beach forever. AWESOME. 2 hour trip we did in the morning before it got too hot. Overall, the best hotel we stayed at during our vacation. And for comparison, we stayed 3 nights at the JW Marriott (beautiful grounds, awful food, and a whole other review) and 2 night at the Hotel Diria in Tamarindo (again, beautiful grounds but when you leave to go anywhere in Tamarindo, you are stalked by the locals peddling souvenirs and sometimes offered various recreational drugs). When we go back to CR, we will be staying here again.

Room Tip: New suites are a bit pricey but very spacious with kitchenettes. Otherwise, just book a regular cabi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Conchal Hotel
Conchal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Brasilito
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel RipJack Inn? Share your experiences!