“Big things come in small packages!!!”
Review of Hotel Bula Bula

Hotel Bula Bula
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I would highly recommend Bula Bula and “The Great Waltini’s Restaurant and Bar” to anyone who loves big things in small packages. Throughout our lives we’ve been on many vacations…never have we received such a warm and friendly reception from a staff as we did at Bula Bula. Their personal services were unparalleled to anything we have ever experienced at a big hotel or all-inclusive resort. The food and special cocktails were awesome!!! Wally and Todd, the owners, made us feel right at home. They made all our tour arrangements, from taxi’s to off shore excursions; even suggesting we take a daylong trip to Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort at the base of the Arenal Volcano, which was the highlight of our vacation. Other excursions we went on included a great fishing trip, catching a nice 55lb. roosterfish, a Sunset Catamaran Cruise and The Vandara Hot Springs Adventure Tour, which included horseback riding, zip lining, water slide, mud bath, and hot springs.
I would like to express my gratitude to everyone for making Bula Bula the most memorable and best vacation ever. Eduardo and Victor day and night managers; Grace, Maria, Ernesto and Jesse bar tenders and servers; Hade the house keeper of the villa we stayed in; Ruben the water taxi driver; and my favorites Tazu and Bertrude the parrots. I would also like to thank the chefs that cooked our magnificent meals and the grounds keeper and pool man we never met, I hope I didn’t leave anyone out!
Adios mis amigos!
George (Ben) Norman

Room Tip: Choose a room at the hotel next to The Great Waltini's Restaurant and Bar or rent a villa close...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bula Bula

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I used to love Hotel Bula Bula. I've stayed there three times and have recommended many friends. I stayed at Bula Bula recently and was let down. The staff was as always incredible. The food has gone down hill big time and the owner was out right rude. I was given a room key and at some point it fell out of my belongings on the beach. When I asked for a new key I was told it would be $110 dollar fee for losing my room key. Apparently, the safe key was very difficult to make and cost that. When I questioned the owner about it he was SO RUDE. He made me feel very stupid and acted like this was perfectly normal to charge someone $110 for a key. All of this could of been avoided if I had been told to be careful with this particular key because it is hard to make. I would never of kept it on my chain while I went to the beach. I DO NOT WANT A $110 key. I also think if you are a hotel you shouldn't have a key that pricey. Get safe's that have codes or something. If the owner had been nicer about explaining the reasoning it cost so much I probably wouldn't be giving such a crap review. But he was rude. He was rude to me and rude to his staff. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Holly S
PG-FT-Resident, Owner at Hotel Bula Bula, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Your review is misleading because you were never charged for the lost keys. Within 3 hours of notifying us about the missing keys, you retrieved them in Tamarindo. You assumed that paying an amount that you determined would be cheaper and quicker than going to Tamarindo to retrieve them. When I informed you that the majority of the cost was due to re-keying the safe, you became even more strident in your assertions. BTW, my name is Todd - owner and manager of Hotel Bula Bula.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you want to get away from the hectic times we live in, just go to Hotel Bula Bula. It was just fantasic. Rooms were colorful and clean. Bed was excellant. The grounds were out of a travel ad. Trees, flowers, native birds and reptiles. The pool is, open 24 /7, was so relaxing we spent a lot of time there. The staff was great, never had to look for them, they were always ready to serve you.Jessie and Victor are great dudes.
The owners Todd and Wally are great hosts. We had a late flight in and Todd waited up for us. He even was prepared to make us some food. 12:30 AM....
The food at the resturant was outstanding. We had 7 types of fresh fish that week. and soooo good.
The beach is just fantastic. Clean and not crowded at all. We walked for miles and swim as we walked up the beach to the far end. Groups of people here and there, never more than 12 -20.

The Hotel setup a snorkling day for us, which was a blast. There are a lot of activites to do, but we were there to just relax.And in deed we did.

Keep up the great work guys. If you like small hotels, great food and a great staff and owners, then Bula Bula is for you

Room Tip: Be prepared to enjoy the good relaxing slow paced life.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigt101
Reviewed March 31, 2013

A fantastic place to rest and relax in Costa Rica. Staff was friendly and accommodating, rooms were nice and clean, and the setting was wonderful. Pool was just outside the door and the restaurant/bar was just steps away, but we never heard a hint of noise from either one while in the rooms. The restaurant was wonderful, with delicious selections across the entire menu. Prices were reasonable, and portions were huge (too much actually).

The beach was a five minute walk away and an amazing spot to swim, surf, or watch and the sunset. Arranged surfing lessons at the Playa Grande Surf School, and the instructor had two 13 year old novices up in 20 minutes. Also took the estuary tour (arranged through the hotel) and saw monkeys, crocodiles, and birds eve in the middle of the day. Even got surprised by monkeys by the hotel the last morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights because it had easy access to Playa Grande to surf. The rooms were small and cozy which was just fine because you barely spent any time in the room. The room included a safe, tv, fridge and they put bottles of water next the bed every night. I especially loved how the TV was placed in the upper corner of the room so you could watch while lying in bed at night.

The restaurant was great and they offer a really good happy hour. We spent a lot of time working on our computers out on the patio while eating. Internet is not available in the rooms but we didn't mind as it was more fun to work outdoors. Staff was excellent, especially Ernesto! They recommended the Sanctuary tour which we loved and it was only $25. Totally worth it!

Beach was walking distance but we drove since we were usually picking things up on the way back to the hotel. Neighborhood is very quaint and you can tell it is a lot of locals and people who probably own houses in the area. Would definitely stay here again when in the neighborhood!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We loved the Bula! So friendly, charming, intimate....and a short walk to the fabled Playa Grande.
After a month in Costa Rica and stays at several great hotels we agreed that Bula Bula was our favorite!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbsplaine
Reviewed March 8, 2013

What a wonderful place to vacation! The rooms were quaint, but not cramped. Very well-appointed and cleaned nicely. TVs too which I didn't expect. The pool was right outside our door and having a full restaurant and bar right on the premises was golden! The food was always delicious. The owners are attentive hosts and were always available to explain things to us newbie international travelers, not to mention recommended where to shop and which sites were the most appropriate for our age and active lifestyles (as well as where we might want to consider staying away from). I'd go back in a heartbeat if I had more vacation time. Looking forward to the next visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are on the ground floor and the walls seem to be thick enough that you don't hear your...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#12 of 24 in Tamarindo
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bula Bula? Share your experiences!