“Awesome surfing lessons”

Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Frijoles Locos Surf Shop provides fun, safe and professional surf lessons for the whole family. Our store is packed with retail surf and resort wear, board shorts and bikinis are an essential item for around here! We offer quality surfboard rentals, snorkel equipment, bike rentals, boogie boards, SUP Stand Up Paddleboards and other beach rentals including beach chairs and shade. We offer personalized surf vacation packages for couples, small groups or families (surf guiding, surf lessons, massages, yoga, adventure... see website)....We offer concierge services prior to your arrival, to help organize your activities, tours, ground transportation, everything you need to make your week go smoothly. If you are traveling to Costa Rica with children, contact us, we have pack n plays/ cribs for rent, a portable high chair and plenty of good advice for families. Upstairs from the surf shop we have two vacation rental apartments perfect for individual families of 4-5 people, or two families on vacation together. There is an adjoining door that means you can have your own privacy when you want it. The condos upstairs are very comfortable, with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, sized around 1250 sq. feet. Just email us for more info/ photos. Also located onsite is the El Frijol Feliz Day Spa for amazing massages, spa services, pedicures, and more. Recently under new management the Day Spa contact is separate to Frijoles Locos however we are happy to connect you. Frijoles Locos are your one stop shop for everything you need for your Playa Grande family/ surf/ vacation! Please contact us prior to arrival so we can best help you for all your vacation needs.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am nervous in the water and was very scared to take surfing lessons. It was my husband's 40th birthday and he really wanted to go so I tried to be a good sport. My teacher had his work cut out for him. He gave us a tutorial on the beach and how to get up on the board. After that, he asked if I had any questions. I asked if I could drown and die if I hit my head on the board... so as you can imagine, I was scared and probably not the best student. Anyhow my teacher Rob was amazing. He kept encouraging me and on the first day, I got up on the board about 5 times. When I wanted to give up, he'd say we should try again and wrap up on a high note. So then I focused on doing well rather than not dying. By the end of the first day, I signed up for more lessons the next day! I think these guys know how to teach and make you feel like you are in good hands.

1  Thank mvora_13

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My son and I were deciding whether to rent boards rather than bring our own boards on a recent trip to Playa Grande. The game changer was when I contacted Frijoles Locos about what they had to offer and Corynne was super helpful. She set us up with excellent boards, which were practically new and it really made our trip. In addition, when I asked about surf trips to Witches Rock and Ollies, Corynne took the time to contact me to let me know there was an opening on an upcoming trip. Overall, our experience with Corynne and her staff was fantastic.
They deserve all 5 stars . I will be getting my boards from them on future trips and supporting them for sure.

1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My instructor was patient, calm, personable and knowledgeable. He prepared me really well in advance of hitting the water, which allowed this non-surfer to react well to situations I had never experienced or considered, keeping me safe from harm. While I consider myself athletic, I'm a more than full time finance geek so I am in less than stellar shape. That didn't keep my instructor from figuring out the best way to teach me. Bottom line = I was surfing on my own by the end of the lesson!!!

1  Thank skiaddict67
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We took surf lessons with Ian at Frijoles Locos. The instructors were very patient and encouraging and we actually were able to ride some waves! It was a wonderful experience and highly recommended.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I got a massage by owner/masseuse Corrine. I am very physically active and also do desk work, so I have all sorts of tight and cramped up muscles. She gave a very deep tissue massage that left me feeling like a piece of warm taffy. It was one of the best massages I have ever had.

1  Thank DixieDiesel