“OUTSTANDING!”

Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Frijoles Locos Surf Shop provides fun, safe and professional surf lessons for the whole family. Our store is packed with retail surf and resort wear, board shorts and bikinis are an essential item for around here! We offer quality surfboard rentals, snorkel equipment, bike rentals, boogie boards, SUP Stand Up Paddleboards and other beach rentals including beach chairs and shade. We offer personalized surf vacation packages for couples, small groups or families (surf guiding, surf lessons, massages, yoga, adventure... see website)....We offer concierge services prior to your arrival, to help organize your activities, tours, ground transportation, everything you need to make your week go smoothly. If you are traveling to Costa Rica with children, contact us, we have pack n plays/ cribs for rent, a portable high chair and plenty of good advice for families. Upstairs from the surf shop we have two vacation rental apartments perfect for individual families of 4-5 people, or two families on vacation together. There is an adjoining door that means you can have your own privacy when you want it. The condos upstairs are very comfortable, with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, sized around 1250 sq. feet. Just email us for more info/ photos. Also located onsite is the El Frijol Feliz Day Spa for amazing massages, spa services, pedicures, and more. Recently under new management the Day Spa contact is separate to Frijoles Locos however we are happy to connect you. Frijoles Locos are your one stop shop for everything you need for your Playa Grande family/ surf/ vacation! Please contact us prior to arrival so we can best help you for all your vacation needs.
Bridgeton, New Jersey
“OUTSTANDING!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We took the family to the Four Seasons resort about an hour away from Frijoles locos and went to the surf shop everyday. My 20 & 18 year olds surfed with Ian on several beaches and a day trip to Witches Rock. Ian was more than we could ask for and our kids had an incredible time with him. We were so comfortable with their professionalism, facility and family values, we are sending our son down to stay with the Beans for a surfing vacation for graduation from college. Incredible store and people. Top Notch!
The McCormick's

Visited August 2012
FrijolesLocos, Owner at Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you Mac for your review. We really enjoy ensuring our customers and guests have the very best experience possible, from advanced surf guiding to generating beginner enthusiasm with quality instruction.
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop is located at one of the closest surfing beaches to the Four Seasons, and we look forward to providing our professional service to more visitors in the coming years.
We can't wait to have your son back here to take him surfing again... Pura Vida!

Cologne, Germany
“I will be back!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I don't know how to phrase all my adventures and experiences during my 2 months internship in Playa Grande appropriately, but what I know is that Frijoles Locos made my stay special. I've never surfed before and actually, I was pretty scared. Nevertheless, I wanted to try and so I went to Frijoles Locos to get some information. Just a few days later, my first lesson was scheduled. I decided to have a private lesson first. Best decision ever - I loved the lesson and Rob, my surf instructor, made sure I felt safe and had fun! Soon after that, I wanted another lesson and Corynne was great with helping to find the best dates and time. This time I went for a group lesson with the other surf instructor Doug. It wasn't any less professional and fun!! I think I spent a lot of time in the shop, just because I loved the atmosphere and the people there. Corynne & Ian, Krizia, Rob and Doug, all made sure that I had the best time. Stay as you are! I will be back for sure!!
Pura Vida
J

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“THE BEST!! - great service”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My whole family was just blown away by the selection, service, prices and attention to detail that you'll find at Frijoles Locos!! We just returned from two weeks in Costa Rica. In that time we were at Frijoles Locos many times, for many reasons...renting boards, buying hats & sunscreen, booking a fishing trip. Each time we went into the shop, the staff - including the owners many times, were so helpful and knowledgable. They always made sure to answer our many questions and send us on our way with whatever we needed.
We did book a fishing trip through them & at the end of it we weren't completely satisfied. Even though it was no fault of anyone at Frijoles, Corynne the owner, was in touch with me immediately to see how she could help to right the situation. Her response made it clear that #1 she wants people to have a great time in Costa Rica and come back for more. She was also very interested to learn what she could do on her end to make sure the same problems didn't happen again. She succeeded in making us happy and I have the utmost confidence that she'll make any future trips fantastic!

Visited August 2012
FrijolesLocos, Owner at Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We are so happy to hear feedback such as yours. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our number one goal for visitors to Playa Grande area is to ensure that they have the best possible all round experience. We love this place and all it has to offer, and enjoy seeing others appreciate it too! With regards to the fishing trip, changes have been made in the way that activity is conducted, and we are pleased to see more positive reviews stemming from those changes. Thank you for your open communication. We look forward to seeing you again!
Florida, United States
“INCREDIBLE SHOP, SERVICE, AND STAFF!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Frijoles was an awesome surf shop, closet to the the break in Playa Grande. They have a very wide selection of boards... one of the best I saw in all of Costa Rica... and hear out your needs and meets them! They are great! Love them! ... and I will be back soon!
Pura Vida,
Rob Carbonell

Visited July 2012
Thank you Rob for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We continue to strive to stock a wide range of rental surfboards, and other rental equipment to make every vacationer's stay in Playa Grande the best it can be.
We do hope to see you again soon!
Boston, Ma
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Best Surf Shop In CR”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

From rentals, to surfing gear, to clothes to make you feel like kelly Slater Frijoles Locos is amazing. The staff (husband and wife) are amazing, and he used to be a professional surfer. The location of the shop is great as well, because about a mile past it is some of the best surf in all of CR. We rented boards for 6 days, and will be returning next year for another surfing trip. The staff, prices, and quality of their products are great. I would love to stay above the shop for a week next year when we go back down!

Visited September 2011
Your review made us smile :) Kelly Slater-esque clothing and great waves... what more could one need?! On a more serious note, we appreciate all feedback, and strive to continue to offer quality surfboard rentals and great selection. For anyone planning a trip to Playa Grande, we are open to hearing your board preferences in advance and helping you line up a perfect fit for your needs. We understand that traveling with boards is difficult and expensive, but a good board and good gear is essential to your surf trip. Carter O- we would love to see you back next year, the apartment is freshly painted and ready!