“Fun Friendly Hangout With Big TV!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sugar's Monkey

Sugar's Monkey
Ranked #3 of 7 Playa Grande B&B and Inns
Secaucus
“Fun Friendly Hangout With Big TV!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

I agree with others. Playa Grande is a surf-style town. Nothing particularly fancy but that is what I want. I stayed at the Inn with a surfer buddy back in 2006. It was fun trip for sure. But I didn't really want to rate the hotel stay. I wanted to rate my experience this trip. I stopped by for drinks and food many times this trip (as always). Loved the brick oven pizza. I also loved the nachos, which actually had jalepenos and onions (read flavor!) on them. You can't get that in Manhattan's watered down "Mexican" restaurants!

This Inn has undergone some ownership changes recently and I like what I see. It has a nice relaxed vibe and you get to meet so many other people also cruising the Country for a week or two that you are going to have a nice time. If you are looking for a relaxed environment with modest but fairly priced accomodations, come on in. Or just stop by for a snack and some cold drinks! But if you can't leave the NY attitude at home, look for a 4 Seasons. Playa Grande is not for you...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Andy B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night only in a standard room with a full size bed. We were supposed to stay for 3 nights for the end of our 12 day trip. We left quickly the next morning. The room was very small so if you are a couple DO NOT get a standard room with one full size bed, ask for a large room. We did ask for one of the better rooms upon reserving, what we got I would not consider better.

The room was big enough for a full size bed, a 3 x 3 table with one small chair, no dresser, and a small 3 foot rack w 3 hangars to hang your clothes. The light did not work but that was a quick fix, needed only a light bulb change. The bathroom door knob came off when I tried to close the door. My husband lightly leaned on the bathroom sink and it just about came off from the wall. No water pressure and very little hot water, maybe enough for one short shower. But to be fair the other hotel we moved to also had very little hot water so it may just be the town. The floors did not feel swept. The space was very cramped. The room reminded me of a room you may experience at camp as a kid. No tv and cable in every room as the website states. My friends stayed 2 doors down and did not have a tv either, not that I cared to watch tv but if you advertise it you should have it. Wifi was poor and most of the time did not work. I could not wait to get out of there. I was packed and ready to leave the next morning by 6:30 am. Our friends left as well.

Because of the policy, we were not entitled to a refund. At 50.00 a night I guess you get what you pay for.

Positives: The staff are very nice, there is a decent pool, ping pong table, liquor bar, juice bar, and I hear the wood fired pizza is very good. We did not stay long enough to try the food. There is a small selection of surfboards to rent as well.

PGI would be appropriate for surfers just looking for a place to crash and surf. It is a block or less from the beach. Very BASIC place to lay your head. If you just want a roof over your head, running cold water, proximity to the beach, then this place is for you.

Marbar next door is awesome! The fish tacos are fantastic. Manrique took good care of us.

We moved to the Rip Jack a few doors down and had a great experience.

Room Tip: If you are a couple and still want to stay here, ask for a large room. I believe room 8 is one of th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SanDiegoTina
playagrandeinn, Owner at Sugar's Monkey, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
We are disappointed that the reviewer did not feel satisfied with her room and decided to cut her stay at Playa Grande Inn short. We do however feel strongly that our accommodations are clean and comfortable and our rates correctly reflect the amenities offered at the hotel.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Playa Grande Inn is just what you want when you come to Costa Rica! It's near the beach, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff are amazing. Justen will make you feel as if you have known each other for years and point you in the right direction for any activity in the area or surrounding.
The food at the Inn is great, as well as the food at MarBar right next door. You can't go wrong!
Oh yeah, great surf is only a few hundred yards away. Need a lesson? Justen can make that happen as well.
Needless to say, my wife and I will be back to PGI sooner than later! Way sooner!

Ian and Kebi

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We had the best vacation ever staying at this hotel! The bar/restaurant was amazing - especially the pizza! The rooms were clean and the pool was fabulous! Jason and his family were so welcoming and helpful! I would definitely recommend this place over any other in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Ok. So this is a surf hotel. That being said it's not fancy and the rooms are basic with zero frills. Very clean and the people here are fantastic.

Location is 2 blocks from the beach and 1 block from the Leatherback Turtle monitoring facility. Just what we wanted. Be patient and you might be lucky to see one come ashore at night.

The pizza is amazing and made in a wood fires oven. Beer is cold and the chocolate chip cookies with a surprise in the middle are a knockout. OREO!

Sunsets, shell hunting and doing nothing was perfect.

• Stayed November 2011
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed at PGI October 28 - 31st. It was short vacay but well worth it! Justen and his family were welcoming and friendly. Chris and Darcus who ran the bar/restaurant on site were FaBulous! Food was delicious (ask for the chef special pizza---delish!), beer always cold. A very short walk to the beach and the whole place had a nice, relaxing, cozy feel. I was expecting "rustic" for the price, but was very pleasantly surprised. The decor was cool and had a hip vibe. The pool was pretty, our room was nice, we even had towels shaped as swans to welcome us and we had hot water. I've been to Costa Rica twice before, so I know...hot water...isn't always a given! I took a surf lesson from Doug who was from South Africa, really cool dude. So if you guys go...yes....do it! ;-) say hi to Chris, Darcus, Doug, Justen and Family for me! Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Visited here for a week on a surf trip with my friends. Rooms are clean and nice. Food is delicious. People are always friendly and will give you good tips on where to go and what to do and see. Nice place to relax while resting from long surf sessions. Good music. Just wish rooms had a microwave, mini fridge, and a safe. Other than that it was perfect.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
La Marejada Hotel
La Marejada Hotel
#2 of 7 in Playa Grande
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Sugar's Monkey? Share your experiences!