“Costa Rica for NY's”

Playa Grande Park Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Playa Grande
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Me and my girlfriend along with 6 other couples and their respective kids felt at home at the Playa Grande Park Hotel. The intimate setting along with a super friendly staff, who will go the extra mile to attend your needs, made our trip that much more special. We traveled up and down the coast and I can say with confidence, Playa Grande is where it is at.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank DaniloKawasaki

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here one night between Christmas & New Year's 2013. Upon my arrival, I checked the bedding (as is my habit) & found that the sheets on the bed had been slept in by a previous occupant. The management was very apologetic and immediately sent housekeeping to change the sheets - 5 stars for the quick & understanding response. For the money I was charged I expected more, though I understand that prices can fluctuate greatly depending on the season.

This hotel is no Marriot but it holds a lot of potential, and as I understand it, Playa Grande Park Hotel has recently come under new management and is in the process of reinventing itself. The manager was very nice, and each of the staff members I had contact with followed his example - with this atmosphere it will be great to see how this place turns out in the next year or two.

Pros: Air Conditioning (!), refrigerator, proximity to beach & other places, not too crowded, great breakfast (though the selection was limited), friendly staff, hot water, T.V. (if that's your thing)

Cons: Restaurant only open for breakfast (this might change soon), no bedside lamps, room not adequately cleaned upon check-in, pricey for limited provisions - at least during high season, bar drinks watery (imo)

Summary: Nice place to stay, but don't expect too much. With some revamping of the cosmetics of each room, and the opening of the restaurant, this might be a perfect place to stay in Playa Grande.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ratgurl
Martin_R_GM1, Manager at Playa Grande Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Krista,

We appreciate the time you took to tell us (and others) your experience at the hotel. I wanted to let you know that the restaurant opened back up just a couple of days after you left so if you come back this way you can try out the tasty dishes that the kitchen prepares.

I did want to comment on your experience with the sheets, as I discussed with you while you were here; they were not dirty sheets that were left on your bed. A temporary housekeeper had taken a set that had been washed but not properly dried, that is why they had a slight musty odor. We always change the sheets between guests and wanted to include this piece of information that I spoke to you about, but which was left out of your review. We hope you can come stay here again.

Martin
Playa Grande Park Hotel

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a relaxing stay at the Park Hotel spending about two days there over Christmas. Playa Grande is a rural area with a few spread out restaurants and small pulperia's (soda shops) so don't go looking for a downtown. The property (hotel seems like a stretch) has about 10 rooms so it feels like a big home. The pool is small but adequate to lounge and meet other guests. The room was basic, towels, soap, TV and fridge. No phone, iron and shampoo but you are at the beach- no need for these :) the property is about a 2 min walk to Playa Grande beach which is gorgeous!!! Surfers rule this beach but it wasn't packed. There was more than enough room for all. Note that the beach had no shade so bring an umbrella if you want.

Back to the hotel, the service was excellent with Vlad and Davis ready to help with a smile. Breakfast was fresh fruit and eggs (your style) and beans with plantain, served with fresh juice. Yum! The restaurant was open but we didn't eat here. They have a pool table and the bar seemed busy.

Overall once you settle in and go relax by the pool the "pura vida" feeling starts to take over. Enjoy!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Xania_TO
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed for 4 days in the beachouse and enjoyed it very much. It is very close to the beach and has a good atmosphere. The villa have spaceious rooms and the bed was hugh. Nice garden en private pool. The sraff was very friendly and helpfull. We certainly love top stay the again.
Playa Grande Beach is the most beautifull beach of CR, if you like tranquility!

Room Tip: if you like luxery stay you centainly you should choose the beachouse
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bertus H
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our group (4 guys), stayed in the Villas @ Playa Grande Park Hotel. Communication during booking was very prompt and my questions answered completely by Martin, the manager. Martin and his staff were very accommodating and helpful during our stay. The villas are a great way to go if you need more room to spread out or families that won't fit into rooms. Security is good, rooms are spacious and nice. The courtyard area is very tropical and affords privacy from the other villas on the grounds. The pool was one of our favorite places during our stay. We'd come in from surfing at Grande and plop in the pool to cool off and relax with a Imperial; a perfect ending. The hotel is a very short walk up the street, so the free breakfast comes with daily monkey sightings too. I will definitely be back again on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ken s
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have been Playa Grand Park Hotel for three times. It's my favorite hotel in Guanacaste. It's 2minutes walk to the beach. I walk with my barefoot and surfboard.
The room is always clean and comfortable, three people easily can sleep. Most importantly, I feel very safe. The hotel has good security so that I can sleep right. All the staff are super friendly, especially Roberto who prepares amazing fresh squeeze juice every morning.
It's a good quality place with fair price.
I highly recommend anyone who wants to enjoy Playa Grande!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kenzo-Tokyo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been staying at the hotel for four days and the place is really adorable! First of all it is very quite area, but if you desire some rush, Tamarindo is just couple of km away. The beach is almost empty all the time and it makes you feel like the ocean is only yours!
The hotel has nice room, beautiful swimming pool and I enjoy breakfast that was different all the time. But always something fresh and nice drink specially prepared! Beside there is a book corner in the hotel, you can find more information about country itself or its tradition. that was my first visit to Costa Rica and I enjoy it so much, that I am looking forward to visit this lovely place again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Reserva Conchal Beach Resort, Golf & Spa

Been to Playa Grande Park Hotel? Share your experiences!