“Best massage ever”
Review of Onzen Spa

Onzen Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: OnZen Spa offers a wide selection of treatments for individuals, couples and families. With a full line of skin, body and hair care products containing the fnest Essential Oils blended with plant, fruit and marine extracts to deliver remarkable, highly visible results every time. Made of naturally derived ingredients they are 100% Vegan, contain no animal byproducts and are not tested on animals, non-comedogenic, contain no Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Artifcial Fragrances, Synthetic Colors, Alcohol, Parabens (Propyl, Methyl or Butyl), Lauryl Sulfates (SLS), Propylene Glycol, Urea, Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine, (TEA) Diethanolamine (DEA), or Monoethanolamine (MEA). For your convenience we will ship any of our products to your home so you can continue your spa experience.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Had an Onzen signature massage by Cindy, who is the most talented therapist I've ever encountered. Most of the massage used hot stones, which in the past has not added much to the quality of my experience. Cindy, however, used the stones expertly to provide deep tissue work and release knotted muscles that no therapy has ever come close to relaxing. Recommended her to my wife, who voiced a similar reaction after her massage. Wish we could clone her.

4  Thank Richard M

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I did not stay as a guest at the resort, but I did use their spa facilities, making an appointment on December 31st 2013 for a pedicure. I arrived, had my card processed, signed, and went for the pedicure. The pedicure itself was only so-so ... not great exfoliation and I wasn't given time to let the polish dry before being asked to leave the spa.

However, the problem came 2 weeks later, when I realized there were THREE transactions on my account, all from "FLAMINGO BEACH RESORT GUANACASTE." One was processed Jan 2, the other two were Jan. 13 -- almost two weeks after my appointment. I didn't think much of it at first, thinking it was just a banking error, but shortly thereafter, I found several fraudulent charges from iTunes on my account. I cancelled my CC, called my bank and iTunes, and was told that someone from Costa Rica had made the purchases. Then I asked my bank about the Flamingo Resort charges and they told me they were ALL initiated by someone at the resort. I called the resort and was VERY rudely treated by the front desk manager and the operations manager, both of whom told me that it was normal to be charged and then refunded and then charged (for a higher amount!) later. They then told me that their resort NEVER shows up on VISA as "Flamingo Beach Resort". They also said that they had "no idea how these later transactions (2 weeks later) happened, as CCs are not kept on file unless you rent a room." In short, after a very frustrating phone call with the hotel, nothing was resolved. They THEN suggested that the charges were authorization holds, which is not true -- authorization holds don't get posted to your bank account and then refunded. They then accused me of saying their staff are thieves. Hello? No, I didn't. But clearly something is wrong here if you don't even recognize your own Visa name on a transaction...

I have no idea what happened, but it was CLEARLY a case of someone using my credit card illegally because I have not used the card otherwise in CR (nervous about exactly this kind of thing!). The most frustrating thing about this is that the manager was completely unhelpful -- he kept giving ridiculous answers saying he didn't know, he didn't know how long it would take to find out information, that he wasn't inclined to help me, and that really, what could he do about it?

The hotel looked lovely -- if overpriced for the area -- and the staff were quite helpful (although I'm not fond of the bands they make you wear to "tag" you as a guest of the hotel. However, given my experience here, I would NEVER recommend this resort to ANYONE, because even if the majority of folks are nice, friendly and trustworthy, if anything goes wrong, this resort does not stand by the maxim of "the customer is always right."

Also, everyone monitor your credit card statements for at least a month afterwards -- you can never be too careful!

8  Thank caridadbou