“Good deal on the beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Madison, CT
“Good deal on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

You can walk bare foot directly from your room to the beach. The beach is great for jogging or walking - very clean, long and picturesque. Our room was very comfortable, quiet, clean and well air conditioned. The hotel restaurant is by far the best one in Flamingo or the next three beaches in either direction. For those who like driving 4X4 be sure to take the "monkey trail". It was challenging. Everywhere we went the Tico's were very friendly. The hotel pool was popular for those that like to hang around and imbibe at the swim up bar. Pura vida!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank W0rldTraveler1999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

I have mixed emotions about this resort. I was looking for an all inclusive resort in the Guanacaste area on a nice beach with a sunset view. The problem is that Paradisus and now the new Riu are the only true all inclusives there and they are REALLY expensive. So I opted for this resort, which offered an all inclusive package, but was not a true all inclusive resort. While it did meet our needs, if you truly love the all inclusive resorts, you will be slightly disappointed with the "optional all inclusive package".

I'll start with the negative so I can end with the positive. I think the most disappointing part was the fact that there is only one restaurant, and many of the items on the menu has an extra charge over the all inclusive plan. So if you want to stay in your all inclusive package and not run up a bill of "extra charges", you are very limited on your menu items. I'm talking about salads too. The food was good, but you ordered off the same menu every day. There was a petite filet that we ordered a couple of times which was good. But the same veggies came with every entree every day (no choice). Someone mentioned theme nights, however, there was no mention of a theme at the restaurant. One night there was a small buffet with one meat option that you could choose instead of ordering from the menu. The Chef was very nice and almost always came out to see if the food was satisfactory. But most nights they did not have the staff to handle the rush and it took a long time to get served. We were there 3 nights and if we had been there longer, it would have gotten really old. They seemed to do the same thing with the drinks at the bar. There was no drink menu, and I heard people ask for a certain mixed drink only to be told that was "extra". Some mixed drinks were included in the "all inclusive" package, but others apparently were not. I never figured out the difference. The other disappointing thing is that drinks in the mini fridge were not included. In a true all inclusive they are, but here if you want water for the room without a charge, you have to get it at the bar or restaurant. And you had to sign a ticket for everything you got as if it were being charged to your room. OK, now that I got that out of the way, there were also good points.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, including the bed. The air conditioner had a remote control and worked very well. The resort is fairly small, but nice with pool tables, a couple shops, workout room, two small swimming pools (one in front near the beach and one with a volley ball net behind the rooms), the swim up bar was nice, the restaurant food was good, there was a covered pool area for the little kids and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach is very nice, especially at low tide. The sunset view is perfect. If you like fun waves that are not too dangerous, this is the place. The security guards were right on top of things and would also help you take a chair to the beach. Some of the waiters (like Oscar) and waitresses were very friendly and made the wait go by faster. Overall, we had a very nice time here. I think my disappointment is more in the all inclusive expectations than the resort itself. I think this resort is better for an adult crowd or adults with smaller children rather than a family with middle school to teens. There was no music at the pool or organized games. It is quiet and layed back. For us, that was just fine.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

I just wanted to write this letter letting you all know of the excellent service my wife and I received by Jerry, the front desk clerk. While we were vacationing in Costa Rica I broke my ankle and Jerry was fantastic at taking care of us, and helping us receive all the help we needed to arrange for a doctor to come look at my ankle. He also helped us get in contact with our emergency travel insurance and helped my wife arrange for wheelchair service at the airports on our way home. He was always smiling and very friendly, even if we were just walking through the lobby.

I'd also like to thank Chef David who took the time to look at my broken ankle and was more then willing to do anything we needed to make our vacation as memorable as possible. Not only is he a wonderful chef, he always took the time to talk to the guests at mealtime, and by the pool, to make sure we had anything we needed to make our stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort as comfortable and relaxing as possible.

We have stayed at many resorts and have never come across any employees that are so helpful and willing to go above and beyond for a guest. I'd just like to say thank you again, and we will be highly recommending the Flamingo Beach Resort to all of our family and friends.

Hope to see you both again, as we'd love to come back and stay at your resort again.

Warnerville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

In early March, I traveled with my partner and her daughter to the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Our experience in Costa Rica was simply put, incredible. Right from the start, the people at the Liberia airport were warm and welcoming. It was a sign of things to come. Once we arrived at the resort, we found friendly and incredibly helpful people at every turn. Though we didn't have a room with a view of the ocean, the room was just right. It wasn't over the top spectacular, but it was perfectly comfortable. We had a small kitchen which allowed us to prepare some lunches and breakfasts for ourselves. Getting food at local markets wasn't easy, as there are no large stores in the immediate (walking) area. However, once we rented our vehicle, we were able to shop enough for the food we needed.

Having said this about preparing our own meals, I don't mean to say that eating at the restaurant in the resort isn't a good choice. Far, far from it! Nearly every night found us at the restaurant, enjoying impeccably prepared food. Whether it was the buffet or from the menu items, we were never, ever disappointed. The wait staff made things so wonderful for my partner's daughter. It was like we were spending time with favorite friends! We quickly became acquainted with David Smith, the executive chef, as he made it a point to meet and greet all the guests. He was helpful in so many ways, and was so eager to insure that our experience in Costa Rica was positive.

As for the rest of the resort, our time was divided between the pools and the beach. The latter was very clean and the water was beautiful. The waves were impressive, and were a bit challenging when either my partner or I ventured into them with the little one. All the same, the beach was beautiful, and the sunsets were stunning. Back at the resort, we never felt that we weren't welcome, or that our presence was a burden. We were treated like royalty by the staff, and by the wonderful people who worked the bar at the pool. It wasn't easy leaving these new friends behind when we departed. One warning: If you're looking for a party all night resort, don't come here. It's on the quiet side...perfect for families.

As for Costa Rica, we found the people to be warm and helpful with our desire to see the country. The concierge at the resort set us up for a day spent with the Palo Verde Boat Tour company. The day included a drive through the rainforest to the river at the heart of Palo Verde National Park. We were taken on a covered boat for an incredible 2 hour tour on the river. We were able to see a plethora of species and beautiful countryside. Our guide on the way back to Ortega (where the tour began) provided us with some extra exciting stops to see more wildlife. Then, when we reached the town, we were treated to a fantastic lunch provided as part of our tour. All the food was home-made and simply delicious. Again, leaving these welcoming, pleasant people was difficult.

In sum, we will never forget our FIRST trip to Costa Rica. I would return to Guanacaste and to the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa in a second! Simply put, it will be tough to go elsewhere next time we travel to the tropics!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband and I decided to get married on a tropical beach in Costa Rica. We chose Flamingo Beach Resort based on all the fabulous reviews we read... and we wouldn't have changed it for the world.

From the moment we got there till the moment we left. The staff were polite and courteous. They all spoke very good english and were always smiling. I have to say, Costa Rican people are the nicest people I have ever met.

The hotel is beautiful. Clean, maintained, tropical, lots to see and do. The rooms were very nice. I saw many different rooms because we were a group of 12, and each room was a little different but all very cozy. I have to say though, our room was the best! Honeymoon suite cannot be beaten. We did stay in an Oceanview room for a night and it was to die for!

Juan Carlos was our wedding coordinator and he was fabulous. He made it so easy for a stressed out bride accross the world to remain at ease. He ensured me that it would all be so easy and taken care of. He couldn't have been more right. He made this day absolutely perfect for us. THANK YOU JUAN CARLOS.

Chef David was the BEST! I think my favorite person there! The Arenas Restaurant had some of the best food I have ever eaten. A gourmet breakfast day after day, lots to choose from for lunch (the chicken quesadillas were my favorite) and dinner always made your mouth water. If you visit Flamingo Beach Resort, be sure to say "Hi," to the Chef for us and request the Chicken Parm... best I have EVER had! Chef David was more than a chef though. He was the personality, and smiles that lit up the resort day after day. He was personable, wanted to make sure that everything was as good as it could be.

I could really go on and on about how much of a great place this is but you should really just choose this resort, cause we all know you are on here trying to decide where to go... FLAMINGO BEACH RESORT & SPA is the place to be!

Thank you everyone, who made our wedding and honeymoon, more than we could have ever imagined it would be! Thanks for the bottle of champaigne, the breakfast in bed and the fresh fruit platters!

Sheena & Chris Ryckman
Ontario, Canada
April 2010

• Stayed April 2010
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

We just got back home from a week stay at the resort (May 1-8) and we also got married there on May 3rd. We miss it so much already and cannot wait to return. We hope to make it out next year for our anniversary. We could not have asked for a better location to have our ceremony and reception. The beach just outside the resort was amazing and had beautiful sunset views. We have the most amazing wedding photos as a result! Our reception was held at the Sunset Lounge just above the restaurant and it was the perfect spot. The Executive Chef was so amazing and gave us a fantastic menu. From the moment we first arrived to when we left we were treated so wonderfully by all the staff and so were the 14 guests that we travelled with. We had booked a pool view room but were upgraded to the very large and beautiful moneymoon suite which was just wonderful.

We were on the all-inclusive plan and the food was pretty good. We wished it would have changed a little bit though, but we did venture just across the street from the resort to I believe they were called Angelina's (best pizza ever!) and Maria's (best quesadilla and pina colada ever!) The drinks at the pool bar and especially the bartenders there were great and we never had an issue.

We booked the ziplining and hot springs tour to Arenal Volcano and while it was a long trip out there (about 4 hours) it was well worth it. Amazing views and an incredicle experience ziplining with the nicest instructors.

It you want to learn to surf contact Point Break Surf. Matt and his wife Natasha run this surf school and it was such a great experience and very reasonably priced. There were 10 of us in our group surfing and 3 others that came along just to watch. They picked us up at the hotel and took us about 30 minutes away to Playa Grande. There is even beer at the end of the lesson, you couldn't have asked for more. I highly recommend it!!

We very much enjoyed our week at this resort, especially the service, the pool, and the beach. We will for sure be returning.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

I just got back from a week at the Flamingo Beach Hotel and I have never had a more relaxing vacation. The hotel is small so the staff really gets to know you and goes out of their way to ensure that all of your needs are met. We paid for the all inclusive and it was definitely worth it. The food was great and there are also several restaurants/bars nearby so you aren't stuck to the resort. I definitely recommend watching the sunset at Mar y Sol, the view is beautiful. There are tours available if you want to see the sites but if you're looking for more time to just relax and enjoy the sunshine and beach then this is definitely the place to go.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,438 reviews

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!