I just got back yesterday, it was an amazing experience and I hope to go back to central America in a very close future.
First of all let’s talk about positive sides of this trip:
1.Great and Unbeatable Value (Air Fare + Hotel $525, found this deal at priceline.com)
2.Hotel- unbelievably beautiful and comfortable enough, so don’t be afraid when you see 3 stars,
It will definitely exceed your expectations. Rooms are very clean and comfy, equipped with AC, mini bar and the fridge,
And a small balcony. Our room was facing the road outside the hotel which I found great, because It was very quiet, with a great view
And small swimming pool right underneath our balcony.
Room service was fine, probably it will take you couple of times of calling the front desk to get a new towels :), but over all we got our room cleaned every day.
Major Pool was great, very clean, not too much chlorine. Had a swim bar, so you will definitely enjoy being around the pool during the day and at night.
Generally the hotel stuff was pleasant, helpful and very sweet. I had a slight communication problem with some of the stuff due to my bad Spanish and their heavy accented English :), but we solved this problem by using body language in some occasions, which I found pretty funny.
3.Beach- located just a few steps away from the hotel, to be exactly across the road :). It’s not a large beach but it’s very quiet, and it’s not crowed at all. The sunsets are breathtaking…I loved to come after the dinner and watch the sun going down….
4.Food- is very Americanized, so if you are looking for something more traditional, you are definitely have to go outside the resort area. There is a nice place called Marie’s just a few min walk, food is quite nice and definitely much cheaper than inside the resort. Than next to that place there is an Italian restaurant Angelinos (I believe that’s correct name), hmmm it was well designed and pricy, average dinner for two is around $50-$80. All other places are about 20 min drive…with a good food and less expensive.
Regarding In-resort restaurant: there is a buffet right at the pool area, the food is very, very, very American…But good quality…prices vary from $13 for breakfast and $25 for a lunch and dinner.
Bars- in-resort there are 2 : drinks are fine and they had a good variety (suggest to try Pain Killer) average price $6-$8 per drink.
Ok, now a little bit of negative aspects of my trip:
1.Transportation- as many others I highly recommend you to fly to Liberia, I flew to San Jose, first it’s a 4 hours trip , second one-way trip will cost you about $75-$80 per person if you will choose to take a van, taxi is $100 per person, bus it’s about $35, but you have to go to San Jose bus terminal first to take a bus, which runs on a strict schedule (and don’t forget to check if you are travelling during any local holidays, which may interrupt bus service, like it happened to me.) I personally travelled by van and found it very comfy and safe, plus there were no stops, so I got to the place much faster. If anyone will be travelling from San Jose, you can reply to this review, and I can give you the phone number to the person who took me to Flamingo. He was very sweet and if you are travelling not alone, you can definitely bargain the price down.
Plus if you call him in advance he can come and pick you up from hotel at any time to take you to the airport. One bad thing is- he doesn’t speak English well, so I had someone in the airport speaking with him :)
2.Be aware if you planning to use credit/debit cards, you will be charged extra taxes and fees.
3. Entertainments- I suggest to check the local shop down the street from hotel , they have better variety and prices .
Over all I did enjoy it and hope you will as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only resort located on one of Costa Rica's most famous blue-flag, ecologically protected beaches, this resort location is the perfect beachfront base from which to explore all of Costa Rica’s natural beauty and adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
- Flamingo Beach Hotel Playa Flamingo
- Flamingo Beach Resort Costa Rica
- Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Playa Flamingo