“Beautiful Resort”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I just came back from my trip to Costa Rica and stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort. I loved it. The people were friendly and the staff were friendly.

Upon our arrival at the Flamingo Beach Resort, we were greeted at the reception desk with a tropical drink in a glass decorated with a flower and a little umbrella. A nice cool drink is just what we needed after flying in.

Entering our room, there was a plate of complimentary fruit waiting for us on the table. There are also snacks of pringles, peanuts and chips, beverages such as soda, juice or bottled water in the refrigerator and also alcoholic beverages. Be aware before you go to town on them. You'll have to pay for each one you eat or drink. There is a table that tells you how much each drink or snack will cost you. I think you'll be charged at the end of your stay. I'm not sure as I didn't bother. The complimentary fruit is just that-Complimentary and you will not be charged.

There is a gift shop which I was a little disappointed that they did not carry sunscreen during my time of stay. I couldn't understand with a beautiful beach and a beautiful pool and the sun shining all day that there was no sunscreen. However, don't despair. There is a pharmacy just up the block from the resort that carries all types of sunscreen and souvenirs. There are shops near the resort and about three restaurants all walking distance from the restaurant.

The restaurant inside the resort is great. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. All three are open buffet. All you can eat and not too pricey either! The food is fantastic! The waiters/waitresses are friendly and always greet you with a smile. There is also a bar/lounge just above the restaurant.

The beach is endless. It's very relaxing and the sunsets are so beautiful! Be prepared that many of the locals come and use this beach as well. There's not much shade on the beach. There are only trees which many people flock to so they're not in the direct sun. You may feel crowded. I've been on better beaches, but this was nice. I liked it. The ocean is great. The water was nice. Not too cold. It actually felt like tub water!

I had a pleasant stay and I was not ready to come home. I definitely recommend this place and if/when I decide to visit Costa Rica again, I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank MoneyD

Reviewed December 30, 2008

This was one of the best vacations that I've had, and I travel a lot! The resort is situated in a great area. There are shops, restaurants and a pharmacy located within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel is kept clean and the staff is very warm and helpful and always greeted us with a smile. There is a gift shop, spa, gym and casino, but the casino was closed for renovation. There is also free internet in the hotel as well.

The beach - Huge! There is an endless stretch of beach to walk on and plenty of lounge chairs for everyone. The water was so calm and inviting! The sunset is beautiful! I only had one minor complaint and that is the people tended to crowd you on the beach just to get under the few trees that were on the beach for shade. However, that was a small complaint.

The pool is great too with a swim up bar. There is also a pool for the kiddies.

The restaurant that is located on premise is great with open buffet every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner at great prices! You will not starve in Costa Rica! The drinks are great as well.

Costa Rica is a great place for everyone. Whether it’s to just relax and sit by the pool or beach, or be adventurous and have a wild time, it’s definitely a must do trip! I definitely would recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank drafty
Reviewed December 28, 2008

The hotel's facilities are very nice-- it has a large pool, the beach is across the street, and the rooms are nice and spacious. It also has a well-equipped fitness center (for a hotel).

I would recommend this hotel with the following important caveat: It plays LOUD latin music at the pool-side bar from 9:30 am to 5 pm. You can hear the music throughout the hotel, including in your room and at the beach. It is impossible to escape it.

If you decide to stay here, please make sure that you are comfortable with loud Latin music.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JericoTraveler
Reviewed November 29, 2008

Just came back from Flamingo Beach Resort and was very pleased. There was two bars, one restaurant and one pool. There is a casino, but was closed for renovations, and a gym There was a buffet on most nights and you could also order off the menu. The rooms were spacious and clean and the grounds were also. The staff was very friendly and courteous, just a little on the slow side for service in the restaurant. But...I didn't have to be anywhere at any given time, so it didn't bother me. The tours were great. We went on the Palo Verde Tour through the hotel and Carlos was our tour guide. I HIGHLY recommend him for your tours if you can request him. The small town is about a five minute walk from the hotel. It has a few restaurants, pharmacy, souveniers, bank, convenience store and a casino/disco (that doesn't look overrun by anyone). I read the previous reviews about this hotel and just wasn't sure what to expect. But...our experience was great, the hotel only got busy on the weekends (as they have timeshare and non-inclusive also). I would go back.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Jneenk
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My wife daughter and i have just spent two lovely weeks at this hotel. The trip was through First Choice and was all inclusive.

Which having read some of the reviews in trip advisor and the very down beat and misleading (outdated?) review in the lonely planet guide to Costa Rica ( we almost cancelled because of its reviews) was i really nice surprise.

The hotel is going through a minor upgrading Fresh paint new planting upgrading toilets but none of this was a problem.

The staff are very friendly and even though they work long hours always have a smile on their face and are willing to help as best they can. I have always found if you treat people right they will treat you right.
The rooms are spacious and clean and the grounds well cared for. We did not see any ladies of the night or have any
of the other problems lonely planet hinted at.

Generally the facilities within the Flamingo Beach resort were excellent including a decent sized pool with swim up bar, the food on the whole was good especially breakfast. Lunch and dinner tended to be a different national buffet pretty much every night. However you could also order from the La Carte menu through all inclusive at no extra cost.

This was our first all inclusive and we were very pleased with it. As long as you didn't ask for major branded drinks you could have what you wanted. There was a bar upstairs above the restaurant which closed at 10 on weeknights and 12am on weekends so the night life is very quite and low key. Which we found ideal.

Our room which was large - 2 double sized beds, TV, fan, AC, and the normal facilities overlooked the pool and the beach giving us a really good sunsets.

We were then met on the next morning by the First Choice and Hotelbeds reps who went through the usual information giving session followed by the trips that were available. We booked a trip to Monteverde and the white water rafting with the Hotelbeds rep. But booked all of our other trips (jeep safari and PAloVerde wild life, Quad bikes and zip lines) with Pablo at the on site Pacific Coast Dive Centre. Both sets of trips were of equal quality but we preferred Pablo's trips as they were more personal i.e no big groups.

I also went diving with Pacific Coast Dive Centre ( my 14 year old daughter done her open water course with them Tracy the dive instructor was excellent) the dive centre is basic and the kit could do with upgrading but its safe and the people confident and capable. We both had good dives lots of rays (no mantas) white tips, bull sharks, shoals of fish even hump back whales (mother and calf) and dolphins. Say hi to Marie, Alex, Roy and have a good dive.

Overall our trip to Costa Rica was just amazing, there was so much to see and do, it is a wonderful place, such a beautiful country and I would definitely return. ( the only down side was the 11hr flight)
The resort of Flamingo Beach is beautiful and the hotel was perfect with plenty to do and see as long as you like low key entertainment. Tamarindo is only 20 minutes away if you want the high life. The sunsets and the beach were amazing. It was a shame to leave!!!
Its a pity that First choice are dropping it next year.

I liked it so much i recommended it to a friend at work who is going for three weeks ( to learn Spanish) at the end of the month.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank divermitch
Reviewed October 4, 2008

If you like a well run hotel in a fantastic location that is quiet but fun and interesting then you cannot beat this hotel.
The staff are some of the best trained staff I have ever met, keen to help and do their job professionally , not at all pushy for tips although I have seldom been somewhere where I felt every member of staff deserved a good tip.
The rooms are very good , lovely comfortable x 2 queen sized beds in every room and ours looked over the pool and you can hear the waves lapping up the beach that is adjacent to the hotel. The beach is white sand , clean and safe .
The food had a lot of variety and was consistently of a good quality. The staff are very pleasant and accommodating and always smile and any service is responded with ' Con much gusto'( with great pleasure).
The pool is beautifully maintained and to reach the beach you just cross the road,where whales and turtles are evident.
The trips that we went on were really good quality and with excellent guides.
At first glance the Arenal overnight can seem a bit steep at $250 but it included a day trip to the volcano and a boat trip, a 3-4 hour trip to the hot springs, a night trip to the volcano seeing the red lava spilling down the mountain, really good food(x4 substantial meals). We arrived late at the hotel at the opposite side to the main lava flow and so did not realise until we woke in the morning that we were right in front of the volcano, on a clear day, and could see all the craters. The Arenal Springs was an excellent hotel too. We were then taken to meet the Maleku tribe ( a small indigenous tribe of 350 people.)I am the most cynical about being a voyeur of peoples private lives and cultures and traditions. I was so moved to speak to these people who live sustainability in a way we pay lip service to.They were funny, articulate and proud and I found it very moving.So all that for $250!!!
The Palo Verde is a nice relaxing informative trip with lots of wildlife ( including lots of crocodiles)
Back to the hotel and I have to mention the amazing Manuel who is the best personal trainer you could wish for. Hard working , great fun, very competitive and the pool volley ball is like the league of nations and great exercise and good fun.
The afore mentioned improvements were of no inconvenience .
A very enjoyable stay and no complaints!!

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank usafirsttimer
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Booked the resort through First Choice having checked through numerous reviews on Trip Advisor. Most were positive about the Flamingo Beach and therefore we decided to book for 2 weeks.

Prior to trip I had also looked on the forums regarding trips as I was not sure whether to book prior to heading over there or book once we arrived in the resort. However we looked on the forum and decided to book with Carlos Luis Jimenez of EcoExplorer. He was very helpful and provided us with numerous options. We booked 3 trips with EcoExplorers including Arenal Overnight.

We departed from Gatwick airport for the 11 hour flight which was your typical charter flight - free meals but pay for everything else i.e. water, snacks and premium movies. Did have a shock on the flight coming into land at Liberia Airport as it was lashing rain and at one stage the plane just dove forward before levelling. But I was not alone in thinking 'this is it' followed by grabbing of seats and screams. However we landed safely in torrential rain but very very humid.

We were transferred from Liberia Airport to Flamingo Beach resort which was about a 90 minute drive away. Upon arriving at the resort we were checked in and shown to our room which was perfect - 2 double sized beds, TV, fan, AC, and the normal facilities. Our room overlooked the pool and the beach could be seen from it too giving us a perfect view.

We settled in and then headed to the beach to catch the sunset and walk along the glorious beach followed by dinner in the restaurant.

We were then met on the next morning by the First Choice and Hotelbeds reps who went through the usual information giving session followed by the trips that were available. We booked more trips with Lunn Poly including Paulo Verde River Trip, trip to Monteverde, sunset on a catermaran and Nicaragua day trip.

Generally the facilities within the Flamingo Beach resort were excellent including a decent sized pool with swim up bar, the food on the whole was good expecially breakfast. Lunch and dinner tended to be buffet pretty much every night with differing flavours i.e. Italian, Mexican etc. However something which we didn't realize until near the end of the holiday was that we could order food from the A La Carte menu through all inclusive at no extra cost. There was a bar upstairs above the restaurant which closed at 10 on weeknights and 12am on weekends. However there was the bar / casino in the main complex near reception which was open very late if never populated and was not part of the all inclusive which was probably why nobody was there. There was a gym which was fairly well equipped and various shops. Outside of the resort was a brilliant restaurant called Marie's which we went to a number of times for dinne, lunch and breakfast. There was a pharmacy, boutique and various other shops in what looks like a relatively new complex. Down the road was the Mariner Inn which had internet access and decent food and beer (got caught in their in one particular storm and played scrabble).

The trips with First Choice / Hotel Beds were good and well catered for with lunch and / or breakfast included depending on what time you started at. Most were very early starts and we were often the only people leaving from Flamingo Beach. Howeverour trips with Carlos from EcoExplorers were excellent - on 2 of the 3 trips we took with him it was just us and him. This meant we could go at our own pace and indeed that is often what happened. Arenal was excellent as we stayed overnight and Carlos had booked us into the Don Juan appartments which had panoramic views of the Volcano. Overall we had a brilliant time on the trips with Carlos, he really is a brilliant guide and really ensures that you have an excellent time in his country. Indeed on our last trip which we shared with a Canadian couple, once Carlos dropped them off he took us to a Bull Ring fesitval in Filadelphia which was excellent and gave us a real flavour of how Costa Ricans enjoy themselves. If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica I cannot reccomend enough EcoExplorers and Carlos.

Whilst we were at the hotel there was building works happening at the entrance. However First Choice offered us a move but as it was not affecting us we did not feel the need to leave.

Overall our trip to Costa Rica was amazing, there is so much to see and do, it is such a beautiful country and I would definitly return. The resort of Flamingo Beach is beautiful and the hotel was perfect with plenty to do and see. Tamarindo is only 20 minutes away and Conchal about 10 mintues away. The sunsets were amazing and the beach was too. It was a shame to leave!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!