“Great Choice & Good Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Great Choice & Good Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here 1/29 through 2/6. After doing my online research, I had emailed the resort to request a 2nd floor room for our stay as opposed to being half underground in a 1st floor room or climbing even more stairs to a 3rd floor room. Upon check in, the girl (who I can't remember her name) tried to give us a 3rd floor room & I thought to myself...oh no, not again...as I had gone through this before at other resorts & my reason for always emailing my room/floor request before arriving. After explaining to her I had previously sent an email to their hotel website with my request & offered to show her the copy of it which I had with me, all of a sudden a 2nd floor room became available.

We liked the location of our room, #2215, which had a nice view over the pool area with a partial view of the ocean. It was probably the 5th room in from one end of the building & close enough to the ocean that you could hear the waves crashing while out on the balcony, nice! Had no complaints with the room itself, was clean & beds were comfortable & maid service was fine, even though one day we didn't have enough washcloths but that was remedied the next day. Plus, I was happy to see we had a dresser in our room with drawers, so that we could even unpack some of our clothes for our week stay. A nice little perk were the small little toiletry samples of shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion provided along with the usual body soap. Enjoyed the large balcony with the lighted ceiling fan also & a mini fridge is provided along with snacks if one wishes to partake in for a cost, a room safe also provided.

We arrived early enough to be able to check in, get in our bathing suits & hit the pool to just chill & relax after a tiring day of travel. While sitting at the swim up bar waiting for a drink seemed to take forever, bartender Elias seemed more intent on serving & visiting with other customers while I continued to wait & as I was getting ready to make my presence more known to him that I continued to wait...he finally took my drink order. He seemed to get a little more attentive over my week stay however, I was always served more promptly by more friendly bartender Manolo who seemed to be more customer oriented. Drinks were usually good but sometimes had to ask for more alcohol in them. All inclusive did not include premium liquor & would sometimes have to sign for drinks & food during stay which was explained that was for inventory purposes, even though we were staying all inclusive.

Although there is only one restaurant on the premises, I found there was enough variety in the food selections to not be redundant. All inclusive includes the breakfast, lunch & dinner buffets & food ordered through the swim up bar as well. We mainly did the buffets but another option is to order off the menu for a price for whatever is not included in the all inclusive package. We liked the option of either dining on the main floor inside, or outside on the open air patio or on the upper level, we liked the comfortable setting with the bar, tables & couches to just relax & enjoy the warm breezes & a sunset view. On only one day I had ordered an omelet that quite frankly was not so good, so I was hoping this was just a bad day. That proved to be just that one day, omelets I had after that were very good. I'm really picky about how my scrambled eggs are done & every morning I had the scrambled eggs, were delicious & done just the way I like them!! My only wish was that there was more of a variety of fish offered, was mainly sea bass in the buffets which I'm not a big fan of, did like the "fish fingers" though. Would like to acknowledge Leonardo, as one of the cooks, who we thought did a good job providing a tasty, variety of food. Service sometimes a little slow in the restaurant, but hey, you're on vacation & service was always friendly with a smile, much appreciated. Excellent Costa Rican coffee served in the mornings, loved that, just wish they had offered a more rich, half & half to go along with such good coffee.

The resort itself is only 120 rooms altogether, which I prefer over large, mega resorts. I found the majority of the staff to be very helpful & friendly & must acknowledge Fiona, I believe that's her name, as the hotel concierge who was very helpful to us in arranging some of tours we took, we appreciated her for doing such a good job! Same goes for the front desk staff, always helpful & friendly. There was only one time we did not receive a requested wake up call that was requested from the night before from a female front desk person I spoke to, oh well. We ended up being awake early anyway, the other calls we made to the front desk to gentlemen we spoke to for requested wake up calls we did receive.

We thought the location was very nice, just have to cross a not very busy road to get to the beach area. We chose Playa Flamingo beach to stay after reading it was a more passive beach area good for swimming. I never did venture into the ocean as every time I observed the waves, they seemed too big for my comfort level & I witnessed some people actually getting pummeled by the waves, some days were worse than others. One day even heard a visitor remark there were small sting rays in the water close to shore. After all, this is the Pacific ocean & not as calm as the Caribbean ocean, wasn't really an issue for me since I enjoyed the massive pool every day with the convenient swim up bar. The resort has convenient access for ATV tours or water sports/activities on their property. We did the ATV tour & were able to see other beaches in the area...Brasilito & Playa Conchal & actually I liked Playa Flamingo the best!

Playa Flamingo isn't really a city or town so shopping is limited in the area. The resort has 2 small gift shops off the lobby area & across the street is a little plaza that has a couple more shops with a couple of restaurants, Marie's & Angelina's. A short 10 minute cab ride to closest little town of Brasilito has better prices in their souvenir shops, along with a few restaurants that line the beach area there, very nice little town with friendly locals. Bigger, touristy town of Tamarindo a little further away.

A couple of little glitches that happened during my stay as mentioned above wouldn't prevent me from giving an excellent review of this resort. Overall, I found the majority of the staff here to be very accommodating, friendly & helpful. I cannot agree with some other negative reviews about staff, resort being outdated, pools dirty, food, etc. Granted, reviews are made based on personal experience & mine was a positive one by far. Enjoyed my stay here with friendly, helpful, smiling staff, willing to accommodate their customer's needs. Beautifully landscaped property with clean rooms, nice open air lobby, large clean pool & good food in a scenic location on the beach. I've traveled to some caribbean islands where although the sights were beautiful, they were lacking in customer service & friendliness with some of the locals being downright rude. For example, my friend was asked by one of the hotel's staff on our departure if there was anything they could improve upon. This was impressive & proves that this resort is striving to do their best to satisfy their customers that they would take the time to ask for suggestions for improvement! For the first time visitor to Costa Rica enjoy this beautiful, friendly country & I can personally recommend this resort for an enjoyable vacation!

Room Tip: Recommend a second floor room overlooking the pool, closer to the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank burnsyislandgirl
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
We really appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, and are certainly pleased that you gave us such high marks. It is quite true that we are doing our best to satisfy our customers and we thank you for acknowledging that and for such a nice recommendation! Hope you'll come back and see us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at this resort for one week in February, 2014. I travelled with 4 family members and we were very impressed with the cleanliness, staff and facilities. We booked 2 standard rooms and they were more than adequate. One room did overlook the parking lot, but we were not in our room long enough for it to matter. The staff always obliged us, the breakfast which was included was great, no complaints with this resort and may return for another vacation at some point. The location is fantastic, the beach amazing with wonderful sunsets, the weather was exemplary.

Room Tip: Another time I would request a room with a walk out or a balcony with a hammock.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maureen J
Thank you very much for your kind words and recommendation. We are so happy to hear that you may return for another vacation with us and would love to honor your request for a pool view room if you would please send it to us in advance.
Morson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Although we did not actually stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort, the condo we rented allowed us access to all the amenities. I was quite impressed with the resort. They have a wonderful pool area and the staff was very polite, courteous and attentive. They had a nice little casino, games room and there was even a little movie theater! How Fun, something for everyone! The beach itself is absolutely gorgeous. Wonderful for morning walks, lazing around (when not by the pool), swimming and catching some amazing sunsets!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sherri G
There are a limited number of condos in the area that provide access to the Flamingo Beach Resort. So glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the great review!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

After doing my research on TripAdvisor, we finally booked here not really knowing what to expect. We chose this location because of an ATV tour we wanted to take. I was in charge of making the whole itinerary for a group of five and did not wanted to disappoint anybody. What a big surprise when we got there. The location couldn't be better. It is right across from the beach, and the Beach its AMAZING. Flamingo city is small, so not much to do, but this was the end of our 13 day vacation so we just wanted a place close to the beach to enjoy the sunsets, relax and relax. Rooms were very spacious; it was like 2 rooms combined together. Breakfast, included in our plan, was the usual. The only downside to this hotel is that Wifi connection was not the best.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Afiroma
We are very pleased that your research led you to us and that you were quite happy with what you found! Thank you for your positive review. We regret that you had trouble with WiFi, but it is a problem with the carrier in the area and the lack of bandwidth provided by our ISP.
Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Flamingo Beach Resort Jan 25-29, 2014 celebrating our 40th anniversary on the 27th. Our room was always perfectly clean and the food was delicious. Service was exceptional. What stood out most was the attention to detail provided by the staff for our Romantic Dinner on the Beach. Juan Carlos Rojas and his staff exceeded my expectations with this surprise for my wife. What a great time. We hope to see you again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob W
It is always our goal to exceed our guest's expectations and we are so proud and pleased that we succeeded in your case. It is a total team effort and it depends on everyone to constantly be putting their best foot forward and 110% effort all of the time. It's a very tough and tiring business -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week --- so we are touched and honored when someone notices and appreciates our efforts. We also hope you will come back and see us again, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Based on all the great reviews was shocked at how dirty/awful our room was. Finally moved after 2.5 days but the horror of our arrival was hard to overcome - moldy, dirty, fridge with brown sludge, view of a parking lot, remote to a/c falling apart but turned out a/c was broken so had to supervise crew with loud walkie talkies - once working it kept me up all night. In morning, I supervised another crew to take off/shave down the bathroom door which wouldn't close and made loud rubbing sound because apparently I hadn't worked enough at home as a single mom who saved every penny to afford this vacation. My son cut his hand on the ceiling fan changing his shirt, once we moved the room was better but hallways/elevators filthy even after they mopped. Mediocre food & service but great setting. It's a public beach so better to stay cheaper rather than pay for disappointment. Would strongly suggest you avoid this place, I'm very shocked at how misleading the other reviews were.

Room Tip: beware "standard" room - it means dungeon which should be used as a storage closet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Moniglam
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Every now and then, every hotel owner has to deal with a guest who wants something for nothing and when they do not get what they want, they threaten to write a terrible review on Trip Advisor. We regret that you were unhappy with the standard room that you booked. We would have been happy to upgrade you, however you came in high season and we did not have a pool or beach view room available, especially not for the price that you paid through a third-party tour operator. The only legitimate maintenance problem that you had was with your a/c remote, which was fixed in a matter of minutes. We offered you a complimentary meal at our restaurant to compensate your inconvenience, which you accepted and then said was not to your liking. We cannot please everyone...but we would certainly not classify the majority of honest and helpful reviews written by our other guests in this forum as "hype."
Jenkintown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Back again for three weeks in our suite. Looked forward to it all year. Every day perfect with warm balmy breezes. but sooo many decisions-Beach,pool,balcony-nap?Wonderful ,large pool,steps to a fine white sand beach. You can eat at the resort or take a short walk to other restaurants.Wonderful staff always attentive to any needs and keeping the property spotless. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nanaglor
We don't have to say how much our return guests mean to us because we have obviously showed it to you with our hospitality. Thank you so much for coming back to spend three weeks with us this year and for sharing your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it the recommendation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,438 reviews

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!