“A great place to stay!”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Flamingo Beach Resort has received some poor reviews and I don't understand why.

It is a small resort, but that adds to the charm and personalized feel. I was here for a week (May 10 onwards) and everything was exceptional. The staff are friendly, professional, and they almost all speak English. We arrived early before check in time, and we were immediately taken to our room. The room was exactly as shown in the photos and was clean. The mini bar is not included in the all inclusive plan, however, there are items for purchase or you can walk 2 minutes down the street and buy items yourself. Also, the other reviews are correct - the beds are very comfortable.

We had the all inclusive plan and it was worth it. The food was excellent. There were different items to choose from each day on the buffet or you could order off the menu. The drinks were excellent, they gave you as much name brand alcohol as you wanted and you never waited long.

The beach is amazing - it is 10 steps from the resort. The water is warm and clean and this was the highlight of the trip. We never needed to rent umbrellas, there are plenty of mangrove trees that provide shade. The pool is also very nice if you are into the pool - the swim up bar is the hub of activity during the day. The bartenders are funny and happy to help you with anything.

Some tips - Book your transportation with your package, it is more expensive at the airport than booking through the hotel. I thought it would be the opposite, I was wrong. Go for the all inclusive, it is totally worth it and it is a small price to pay to have 3 excellent meals a day plus drinks and snacks. It's true there is not a lot "to do" at night, but it is perfect if you are looking for something quiet and relaxing and you are able to make your own fun. There is a lovely open air bar where you can sit and have a few drinks and watch the sunset at night. The sunsets are stunning!

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are worth the upgrade. They have a lovely view of the pool and ocean and have a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jess G
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Sometimes after reading other reviews in Trip Advisor, one doesn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised, all in all. The room was very nice and large enough, king size bed, good pillows, better toilet paper than most hotels and a nice balcony overlooking the pool. I am glad I took the majority of people's recommendation and bumped up to a 3rd floor room. The 1st floor is partially under ground and some 2nd or 3rd floor rooms can look over the parking lot. Never heard excess noise after hours, except for the waves and that was excellent, helping me to go to sleep. Food was good, with full all inclusive allowed not just buffet, but ordering off the menu was included as well as the buffet. Some people complained that the breakfast menu never changed. They basically served EVERYTHING one would normally eat for breakfast, so I never understood that complaint. As a matter of fact, the one time breakfast changed, they had pancakes instead of potatoes. I don't care for pancakes and I love hash brown potatoes, so I was bummed out that day, but I'll bet someone was happy; you can't please everybody. Everybody I talked to were friendly and helpful. It is a very nice resort and I would go back there again. The only bad thing was that one person in our party got e coli, probably from the water park and the large gulpful of water she took in and my wife got the Central America version of Montezuma's Revenge, perhaps because she ate an apple without washing it or because a wrap she had was made of some wilted lettuce...not good for her, but still a good trip and a nice place.

Room Tip: Pay attention to all the others and upgrade to an upper level, poolside room. You'll thank me la...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jmielziner
Reviewed May 10, 2013

this was our first tine in Costa Rica and we enjoyed every single day of our vacation. The hotel had the perfect location. just steps away from the beach and the pool. the hotel is quiet which we preferred.The staff is very friendly and helpful. they accommodated us quickly on our needs. we already miss Costa Rica and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I were married at Flamingo Beach Resort at the end of April. We stayed there for 5 nights with 50 of our wedding guests. Everything about our stay was perfect! The resort is amazing, beach is beautiful, food is great, and staff is fantastic and extremely professional. The resort is on the small side, which added to its charm. Water pressure was not great, but if you ask the staff, they will send someone to adjust it - this is really my ONLY complaint about the whole, wonderful experience.

Our wedding coordinator, Juan Carlos, was incredible. He went above and beyond to make sure that our wedding was exactly the way we wanted it to be. He made sure that we had a stress free and enjoyable stay and wedding day. Everything was planned out perfectly - even better than we could have imagined or planned ourselves. I am someone with a Type-A personality and I always need to be in control, especially when it came to my wedding. I was quite anxious before arriving and was nervous that things would get overlooked or would not work out as planned. Juan Carlos made it easy for me to relax and took care of everything! He took my ideas and customized everything about our day making it a truly unique experience for us and our guests. If you are looking to have a destination wedding, this is the place to have it! Not to mention, the sunsets are amazing for pictures! Oscar, the bartender, was awesome as well, but really the entire staff was very helpful and friendly. I really can't say enough good things about this place and its staff. All 50 guests felt the same way!

Also, Spring for all-inclusive, it's well worth it! Food and drinks are amazing!

Room Tip: Second floor seemed to be the best. (same floor as the lobby)
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Upon arrival we were not checked in until exactly 3:00pm (their check in time). It was 97 degrees and we sat in the lobby sweating for two hours. The hotel was not full and we found this very odd. The beds were very comfortable, however, we found the bathrooms to be gross. The toilet wouldn't flush and tub wouldn't drain, both requiring maintenance calls. Toilet remained an issue all week. There was mildew and dirt in bathroom and there was a constant sewer odor. Buffet breakfast was very nice, food otherwise disappointing. When we inquires about local restraints we were told there were none, only toxins there were some excellent choices across the street. The beach although pretty has a big rib tide and not the best location for swimming. It appears that some of the other reviews were written by hotel staff as we do not agree. Not a lot of activities, no kayaking...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patrice M
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

As the owner of the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, I was mortified to read your review and I apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel. I do not know the date of your stay, but If the hotel was not extremely full at the time you checked in, you should have been accommodated quickly into a clean and ready room. Also, if space was available, you should have been upgraded to a better room without the maintenance issues that you describe. I wish to sincerely apologize for the problems you had. We are actually beginning to renovate all of the guest-room bathrooms at our property; it is true that they currently are a bit tired and outdated, but there is no excuse for dirt and mildew, ever. Again, we are truly sorry. I also must note that our staff would never be permitted to write reviews, so all of the reviews that are on this and other websites are always written by actual guests. Fortunately, most of our reviewers have better experiences than the one that you describe. On a final note, the conditions at our beach change according to seasons, tides and weather; most times it is excellent and safe for swimming, body surfing and boogie boards. Also, there is kayaking available; I don't know understand why you weren't able to do this activity, nor get information on local restaurants from our concierge. Very strange! I do promise to get to the bottom of this and make sure it never happens again.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The location of this resort was absolutely perfect for us, thanks to previous trip advisor reviewers who helped us choose the town and resort. Gorgeous white sand beach, steps away from the large pool. Nice sized clean, pool-view room in the southwest building, with a very comfortable bed. Although they did not have us in the king bed pool view room reserved on their website and our email room request five days prior did not help, they changed us to a king room on the second floor, which was fine. The view was not as good as I suspect on the third floor, but we were literally fifty steps from the pool ... a twenty second walk back to the room.

After visiting many other towns (Tamarindo, Potrero, Brasilito), we were immensely pleased with our choice of Flamingo Beach Resort. The grounds are immaculate, the staff friendly, and the pool fun for guests of all ages. The water was a touch cloudy our first full day (Sunday), but was perfectly clear after that. Based on previous reviews, we had worried about noise, but it really wasn’t a problem, even on the Friday night when a wedding party lasted until about 11:30.

We did not do any meal plan, preferring to try many restaurants in the area. What we found was disappointment outside the hotel, the exceptions being Marie's and Flamingo Subs and Pizza. The food at the hotel was very good the two nights we ate there. Appetizer lunches at the pool bar were hit or miss … soggy nachos one day, delicious but horribly messy quesadillas another, and fairly tasty chicken fingers a few other days. The breakfast buffet was OK, but expensive without the meal plan the one day that we chose that option. Marie's, across the street, is far better for breakfast, both food and price.

You won’t find much shopping or nightlife here, but Tamarindo is a short thirty minute drive for such activities. Typically, evenings are quiet with a few people swimming and sitting around the pool and a few people in the upstairs bar.

Flamingo Adventures, across the street, was the best price for private tours, including the beach vendors, who also may lack the "legitimacy" of other businesses. Don’t miss the Palo Verde river tour … monkeys, macaws, crocodiles and other wildlife are absolutely amazing. Our tour included a Tico lunch in the tiny town of Ortega (probably won’t find it on a map), which was one of the better meals of our trip!

Oscar and other bartenders at the pool bar always gave us good drinks and laughs to boot. Drinks are very expensive, so we bought beer and liquor at the store a block away and then had a couple of drinks per day at the hotel bars.

A pleasant surprise was the photo staff, particularly Valerie, who do candid and professional photos that you can later purchase for eight dollars each for the digital image. The beach photos were fun memories that we will cherish.

We have absolutely no regrets choosing Flamingo Beach Resort and will definitely return on our next trip to Costa Rica.

2  Thank ugadog
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We loved our stay at Flamingo Beach Hotel. We stayed at an ocean view suite and the view was perfect.
The hotel has a huge swimming pool and part of it is on the shade so for the ones that do not want to much sun or for those that are with children it is a plus.
I have received massages in many places and the one we received at the hotel was one of the best ones, you should try it. look for the promotions. After you take one treatment you may continue using the Jacuzzi at the spa for the rest of your stay.
Breakfast was buffet and very good. We did not take the all inclusive plan since we love to eat out and see new places. We ate at Maries that is about one block away from the hotel and it was very good and not that expensive. We also went to Tamarindo several nights for dinner.

Room Tip: The hotel has a horse shoe shape and one of the sides is right next to the road. Request the rooms t...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!